Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by RWhyman on 16 Apr 2020
  • My daughter wanted to get a smoker, so I gave her the Traeger Junior that I carry in our 5th wheel. So to replace it, I ordered a RT-340. Looks like it will be a nice upgrade for me. The 20# hopper will be nice on those long brisket cooks. Nice to have the 2 meat probes as well. And the ceramic igniter. Not sure about the Wifi since the only time I'll be using it is when we are in the middle of nowhere. It also lists a weight about 20# more than the Traeger which will make it a bit more of a heft to get it out of the storage. I do have a heavy slider drawer which helps a lot to get it out.

Can't wait to get it and fire it up for some trial cooks.
  • #2 by Bentley on 16 Apr 2020
  • Hope you enjoy it!
  • #3 by lil moose on 17 Apr 2020
  • I believe you gonna love that grill.   I own a RT680 and just love it does everything  I wanted it to do and more!
  • #4 by Canadian John on 17 Apr 2020

•  Ah! Something to offset the present day goings-on..Have fun.
  • #5 by RWhyman on 23 Apr 2020
  • The 340 arrived today. The box was beat to xxxx, but the smoker survived. Easy to put together and fired right up for the new grill burn off.

Tomorrow I'll be cooking some chicken thighs for lunch followed by a rack of ribs for dinner.

This weekend I will probably throw on some grill grates and then try out some burgers or steak on high heat.

• #6 by Canadian John on 24 Apr 2020

•  Gee, that looks nice! You should be busy experimenting.
  • #7 by RWhyman on 25 Apr 2020
  • Here's what I been cooking with the new 340.
    After the burn in, the next day I started with some simple chicken thighs.
     [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Next I did some ribs.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Today, I put in some Grill Grates and cranked up the temp to Full. I was surprised how hot it got.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Threw on some burgers and was very happy with the cook.

[ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

The high heat really put a nice patina on the stainless.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

So far, I'm really happy with the way this little guy has preformed.

• #8 by Canadian John on 26 Apr 2020

•  Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
  • #9 by cookingjnj on 26 Apr 2020
  • Off to a great start Whyman!
  • #10 by RWhyman on 09 May 2020
  • So after a few cooks, I seem to get a lot more smoke flavor from everything I've smoked on the new 340 as compared to my two other smokers. I normally use a few different types of wood when I smoke things, but so far, all I've used in the RecTec is apple. No real reason, that's just what I started with.

So my question is, does the RecTec produce more smoke or does apple produce more smoke flavor than some of the other hard woods? All pellets I use are Smoke Ring. Some cherry, hickory, oak, maple, beech and some different blends.

I believe it's the smoker as visually it seems as though there is always a fair amount of smoke coming out of the unit. I just don't understand why that's the case when compared to my Blaz'n Grill and my Yoder.

Any thoughts?
  • #11 by Canadian John on 10 May 2020

•  Possibly you answered your own question: More visible smoke = more smoke flavor..Something in the combustion process has to be generating the smoke. A disturbed combustion cycle will do it.
  • #12 by okie smokie on 10 May 2020
  • Wow! The temp of 690* is amazing.  I suspect the 340 has the same guts as the 590, and since the internal volume is much smaller, you get much more bang for the btu.?? But that is only my guess.  Should be no complaints about searing!  Also, your gg's cover the whole grill area, so less heat escapes around them?? Those are just my musings. 
    I too notice more smoke effect at low temps than either my old Traeger, or Blaz'n. They seem to have set the algorithm just right for low temp.
    All those cooks looked perfect to me. Enjoy!  :clap:
  • #13 by RWhyman on 18 May 2020
  • Yesterday, I fired up the "Little Guy", as I call it, and put on a 20# turkey that was given to us. I wasn't sure it would fit, but no problem. I spatchcocked it as I do with all turkeys and whole chickens. Turned out great. Smoked it on LO for an hour and then up to 325º for the remainder of the cook.

• #14 by KeithG on 18 May 2020
  • Wow, that turkey looks really good.
  • #15 by cookingjnj on 18 May 2020
  • Great looking bird.
Pages:
Actions