Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by MMike on 22 Apr 2020
  • I don't like cheap steak... I don't want to pay for good steak...So here's my solution:
    Today I made 10 oz. "Patty Steaks" from high fat ground beef.
    Man, they were great...Tender, cause it's ground....and great flavor from the high fat.
     :cool:
  • #2 by hughver on 22 Apr 2020
  • Try smoked and then sous vide (or vice versa) cheap steaks/roast, you may change your mind.   :2cents:
  • #3 by Hank D Thoreau on 22 Apr 2020
  • It's hard to find good steaks at standard super markets I go to. I would rate most I find a solid C minus.

I've found that Aldi has some pretty good prepackaged steaks. It seems where I shop, the prepackaged stuff is often the higher quality.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Apr 2020
  • Costco prime steaks are pretty good
  • #5 by Bentley on 23 Apr 2020
  • Key words are high fat, you simply cannot get that in a cheaper cut, unless you get lucky like those $4/lb restaurant rib roast.  Sous Vide or Braising will make it tender but will not add flavor like Mikes method.
  • #6 by ZCZ on 23 Apr 2020
  • I have had Aldi’s steaks but find the Costco steaks to be more tender. Tho the Aldi steaks are better priced and you can buy just one and not three or four. Usually smaller too so you will pay less that way as well.  Definitely worth a try for the more budget conscious folks like retired folks like me.
    Z
  • #7 by Trooper on 24 Apr 2020
  • ... I don't want to pay for good steak...

I pay for good steak

It's hard to find good steaks at standard super markets 

Our major supermarkets in Michigan sells USDA Choice Angus Beef. It works out pretty good. Sam's is nearby and they now have USDA Prime.

the more budget conscious folks like retired folks like me.

I hear ya, Al. & I'm with ya. I think us retired (retarded) folks wind up with just having fewer steaks.
  • #8 by urnmor on 24 Apr 2020
  • I am a believer that for the most part you get what you pay for.  I have only been buying my beef from my butcher as I know how the beef is raised.  Is it more expensive yes Is it worth it yes however we don't eat as much beef as we have in the past.
  • #9 by sbryant24 on 25 Apr 2020
  • Costco had these Prime NY Strips on sale a few months ago.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #10 by MMike on 26 Apr 2020
  • Those steaks look wonderful! Buying in bulk on sale and freezing is a great strategy to keep costs down.
  • #11 by reubenray on 26 Apr 2020
  • How does Sam's Club steaks compare to Costco steaks?  With the virus thing going on I can get to a Sam's a lot easier/safer than a Costco.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Apr 2020
  • How does Sam's Club steaks compare to Costco steaks?  With the virus thing going on I can get to a Sam's a lot easier/safer than a Costco.

I bought some prime NY strips and ribeyes at Sam's on Friday.
  • #13 by reubenray on 28 Apr 2020
  • I went to Sam's this morning and all they had was Choice.  There were no Prime meat anywhere.  Sam's had restrictions on only one package of a particular type of meat per person.  You could buy one of everything, but not 2 of anything.  I picked up some NY strips and BB ribs.
  • #14 by urnmor on 28 Apr 2020
  • As many of you may or may not know beef and chicken will become scarcer as this pandemic continues.  Especially since the work force in this area is drying up'
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Apr 2020
  • As many of you may or may not know beef and chicken will become scarcer as this pandemic continues.  Especially since the work force in this area is drying up'

Another media myth...it may be 15% of production and there is a bunch already produces and stored for shipment.  And, the War Act will push them all back to work.  I hope that they can stay safe and minimize the outbreaks some of the production facilities have already scene.
Pages:
Actions