Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jdmessner on 26 Apr 2020
  • Today I will attempt to answer the age old question (or at least a few weeks old question) of the differences (if any) between cooking in cast iron and aluminum pans. The question came up earlier on a thread about cooking pork butt and chuck roast at the same time. I posted a picture that showed one in cast iron and the other in an aluminum pan. There was a couple hours difference in the cook time, but I think that was attributed more to the difference in weight rather than the meat itself. The pork butt was a little over a pound more than the chuck roast. However, after someone asked about it, it did make me wonder if there were any subtle differences.

For this experiment I will start by measuring cooking times and temps. Since I also have found a willing victim (oops, make that volunteer) there will be a blind taste test to see if there is a noticeable difference in taste.

This came about on short notice, so I had to improvise with what I had. Not sure what to call this and I have no idea if it will taste good or not. However, please keep in mind the experiment is to note any taste differences and not whether or not it tastes good!

I started out with a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I coated them with locally made maple syrup and sprinkled a North African spice mixture on top. I put the chicken on top of a mixture of red onions and organic carrots grown by one of the best gardeners I know. Put a light coating of syrup on the carrots and added some apple juice to the pans. We will see how things turn out!

Placed on the grill at 7:55 a.m. Grill temperature 250 degrees.
  • #2 by Canadian John on 26 Apr 2020
  •  
     Cast iron will react much more slowly than aluminum. It's a better heat sink. If there are no high temperature swing s, I don't feel any difference could be noticed in the end product, with the exception of cast

iron. That would be due to residuals resulting upon how the cast iron was cleaned and maintained. As many of us do, C I clean up is done solely with hot water and a brush, dried then lightly oiled.

I have detected some carry-over flavour using cast iron in some cooks. That is why some cooks have dedicated C I cookware.

• #3 by jdmessner on 26 Apr 2020
  • One hour in: Cast Iron 95/Aluminum 96. Why does this feel like a sporting event? Have I become this desperate for live sport action?

I applied another coating of maple syrup
     Since I am on kind of a time crunch I bumped the temp up to 300.

Here is a picture of the seasoning. It has turmeric, ginger, coriander, cumin, nutmeg, and cinnamon among other spices. I like it a lot. Found it on the clearance aisle at Walmart. Hope I can find more down the road.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #4 by jdmessner on 26 Apr 2020
  • I shouldn't have turned up the heat so high. Got distracted and went to check on chicken. Had the probe in the aluminum chicken because I thought it would get done quicker. It was 161, so I figured I was OK. The cast iron was 183. Oops! There was plenty of liqued so it did not seem to be too dried out. I should have made this disclaimer earlier: This is in no way to be thought of as a tried and true, authentic, reliable, scientific experiment. It is for entertainment purposes only!!

• #5 by Trooper on 26 Apr 2020
  • When JD comes to lunch, he doesn't come empty handed!

So I get a email message from JD Messner indicating that he was going to be in nearby Holland, MI and wanted to know if we could have a get together session at a park north of Holland.
    HEY, I'M GAME.
    So, we set up a early afternoon B.S. session.
    One thing for sure. JD brings plenty of grub to a get together. His famous North African spice chicken!

[ Invalid Attachment ]
    This is the illustrious JDMessner

[ Invalid Attachment ]
    This is the illustrious JDMessner ready to unload his lunch pail.

Good chicken, JD, GOOD!
  • #6 by cookingjnj on 26 Apr 2020
  • Looks and sounds like a good fun get together with real good eats included. 
  • #7 by ylr on 26 Apr 2020
  • So, are you saying, in your opinion, the cast iron cooked faster?
  • #8 by BigDave83 on 26 Apr 2020
  • That is quite a lunch pail. I would not have turned him down either.
  • #9 by jdmessner on 26 Apr 2020
  • You never know who you are going to run into when you are social distancing at Lake Michigan! You might say the victim  (sorry, volunteer) for my experiment was a real Trooper! It was a great afternoon, good to see you again my friend!

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #10 by jdmessner on 26 Apr 2020
  • So, are you saying, in your opinion, the cast iron cooked faster?

It sure seemed like it in my unscientific experiment. I think the cast iron probably retains the heat better. I wish I had played closer attention to the temps. The chicken in the cast iron was drier than the ones in the aluminum pan. If I pulled it at the right temp, it would have been much better.
Pages:
Actions