Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by GregW on 20 Sep 2017
  • A fan above the water would not work.
    If you had a way to stir the water, that would promote even cooking and heat transfer.
    • GregW
  • #17 by Bytor on 21 Sep 2017
  • I've just recently discovered the world Souse Vide.  Have done a couple cooks with it and meet came out pretty xxxx good.  Still seems kinda weird throwing meat in a bag and cooking it water though.   :)
  • #18 by pz on 21 Sep 2017
  • ...  Still seems kinda weird throwing meat in a bag and cooking it water though.   :)

I agree, especially knowing you can keep the meat in the water bath all day without over cooking.  Long cooks wil,l for example, turn short ribs into really tender pieces - I like that as well.
  • #19 by GregW on 21 Sep 2017

• I agree, especially knowing you can keep the meat in the water bath all day without over cooking.  Long cooks wil,l for example, turn short ribs into really tender pieces - I like that as well.
    [/quote]

You can definitely hold meat for a considerable time, however the texture will begin to suffer. At some point the steak or chicken will have an unpleasant texture.
    • GregW
  • #20 by pz on 21 Sep 2017
  • You can definitely hold meat for a considerable time, however the texture will begin to suffer. At some point the steak or chicken will have an unpleasant texture.

True - go overboard and the texture will be a bit mushy, especially with the more tender cuts, fish, and chicken
  • #21 by Maineac on 26 Sep 2017
  • Clever poor vide unit you have there Queball!  Your innovation has me wondering if you can use an old analog hot plate or crock pot and a PID (like an auber) to control water temperature.

Oh! PZ .... I wish I had your knowledge ..... Thou art way, way above my pay grade! "Old analog with a PID(like an auber) ..... Sounds great .... really?

There are just two mouths to feed here and I use my Auber PID and my wife's 6-qt Crockpot with no circulator.  I would not attempt pz's prime rib but I have successfully cooked a tritip, part of a brisket flat, large chicken breasts, and steaks.  The other night I cooked (2) 1lb rib eyes at 120* for 90 min., then threw them on a 550* gasser for 2-3 min. flipping every 30 sec. to produce wall to wall medium rare.  I had them vac-sealed with ghee.  I have checked the water temp around the pot while food has cooked and I don't find a significant variation. 
    So if you have a PID and a crockpot, all you need is a submersion sensor (approx $15) to do sous vide small scale.  Mine started as an experiment but I doubt that I'll ever have a dedicated setup.  I'm too cheap.

• #22 by Queball on 26 Sep 2017
  • Steak looks great! .... I love the 30 second, high temp flip method for steak. Without the sous vide, I do 9/10 minutes with a 1-1/4" steak, continuous 30 second flip. Great technique!
    • Queball
  • #23 by pz on 26 Sep 2017
  • That looks perfect Maineac  :clap:

One of the things I like about sous vide is that you can get a perfect Maillard crust without the somewhat overdone "ring" beneath the crust before you get to the perfect medium rare center.
  • #24 by Maineac on 26 Sep 2017
  • That looks perfect Maineac  :clap:

Sitting here looking at that steak makes me think I should have had a couple of over easy eggs in that plate instead of the sliced cukes that I had.  :lick:
  • #25 by pz on 26 Sep 2017
  • Sitting here looking at that steak makes me think I should have had a couple of over easy eggs in that plate instead of the sliced cukes that I had.  :lick:

Steak and eggs is one of our favorite breakfasts - after my eyes were bigger than my stomach the night before  ;D
  • #26 by hughver on 26 Sep 2017
  • I have not yet figured out the picture posting scheme here but I sous vide fresh salmon yesterday at 125* for 30 minutes followed by a quick sear (skin side only) and it turned out spectacular.
  • #27 by pz on 26 Sep 2017
  • Sounds delicious - sous vide makes it easy to cook perfect fish  :clap:
  • #28 by Maineac on 26 Sep 2017
  • Sitting here looking at that steak makes me think I should have had a couple of over easy eggs in that plate instead of the sliced cukes that I had.  :lick:

Steak and eggs is one of our favorite breakfasts - after my eyes were bigger than my stomach the night before  ;D

I remember that you like runny eggs from another forum which I shall not name; but I was Wingman there.  You always had thoughtful posts and I noticed when you went missing.  When that forum owner allowed politics in, I went missing. 
  • #29 by Queball on 26 Sep 2017
  • At that temp, it only takes 30 minutes/ ..... That's amazing.
    • Queball
  • #30 by pz on 26 Sep 2017
  • I remember that you like runny eggs from another forum which I shall not name; but I was Wingman there.  You always had thoughtful posts and I noticed when you went missing.  When that forum owner allowed politics in, I went missing.

Ah... I remember you Wingman (now Maineac) - really glad to see you found your way here!
Pages:
Actions