Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sous vide prime rib  (Read 6807 times)

Maineac

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Central Maine
Re: Sous vide prime rib
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 07:52:05 PM »

What do you have to pay per pound up your way, Maineac?

Right now in the grocery stores it's about $8/lb.  If you are out and about you can find it for less.  Lobster price is a real yo yo.  Depends on catch, season (vacationers), and commercial circumstances.  A few years ago the price got down to $2 something a pound.  We took full advantage of the huge catch/market glut.  We might have set a consumption record.   ;D
Dean                   MAK 1-Star #184  - Weber Spirit E-310 - Weber Performer - 2 X Bradley OBS
- When you share a great recipe you make the world a better place -

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2017, 04:32:04 AM »

Wow, expensive lunch.

This was on the coast and the groom bought them off the dock for way less than normal retail, actually way less than wholesale.  In 1970 I bought (4) 1.5lb hard shell lobsters off the same dock to celebrate my wife's agreement to marry me.  It cost me $6.  There was so much meat in those that we couldn't eat it all.  However, today we could.  ;D

Here is what I have paid.

Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Queball

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2017, 06:12:45 AM »

Just had a sale here on lobster tails ....... $5.99 for a 4oz tail.

zephyr

• Using less gas.
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2017, 12:51:25 AM »

I do the same thing PZ, sear it on a pellet grill, cast iron pan or use a Searsall. I have a small cooler and a big cooler I use for my SV. You might consider that for less heat loss and no water evaporation. I cooked a whole brisket for 72 hours with no evaporation of the water.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

...........................................      ZEP
><> Titus 3:2-7 <><           [M2SG]  [UDS] [36X19 Phantom Downdraft]   [Karubecue C-60 Downdraft]

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2017, 12:54:11 PM »

That's an excellent setup ZEP  :clap:

I've seen that mod and have thought about making one of medium size. The reason I have not done so is because I'm kind of lazy, and that I have a pot that is a good size for the Anova and I use the stove to preheat the water to temperature so the initial setup is very quick. It is kind of simplistic, but I use foil on the setup to prevent water loss - like an inverted tent it keeps the water dripping into the pot, and I never need to replenish the water.

However, the problem with my rig is that the size of my cooks are limited, so your solution might work better than mine.

In your first photo, is that a metal collar that is glued into the top of the cooler?  ... and if you don't mind, what cooler brand did you use?
PZ

zephyr

• Using less gas.
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »

That's an excellent setup ZEP  :clap:

I've seen that mod and have thought about making one of medium size. The reason I have not done so is because I'm kind of lazy, and that I have a pot that is a good size for the Anova and I use the stove to preheat the water to temperature so the initial setup is very quick. It is kind of simplistic, but I use foil on the setup to prevent water loss - like an inverted tent it keeps the water dripping into the pot, and I never need to replenish the water.

However, the problem with my rig is that the size of my cooks are limited, so your solution might work better than mine.

In your first photo, is that a metal collar that is glued into the top of the cooler?  ... and if you don't mind, what cooler brand did you use?

It's a 33 Qt. Coleman Party Stacker, with a 2-1/2" schedule #40 gray PVC pipe. I used a 2-7/8" hole saw for the hole and liquid nails and white silicone to seal. Anova fits perfect on the PVC pipe and no gaps.
><> Titus 3:2-7 <><           [M2SG]  [UDS] [36X19 Phantom Downdraft]   [Karubecue C-60 Downdraft]

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2017, 01:56:12 PM »

Thanks for the info. Zep, just ordered one of the coolers from Amazon. I've been looking for the right cooler ever since I read your post on the other site.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »

Thanks for the info as well, ZEP  :clap:
PZ

Wettle

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2017, 07:49:47 PM »

I got interested in the sous vide method of cooking and after checking around on the web, I settled on the Joule, by ChefStep.........love it!

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2017, 06:42:16 PM »

Finished project, now on to a prime brisket packer (trim, season, smoke, sous vide, sear). Thanks ZEP for the inspiration.  :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

zephyr

• Using less gas.
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2017, 07:11:12 PM »

Finished project, now on to a prime brisket packer (trim, season, smoke, sous vide, sear). Thanks ZEP for the inspiration.  :lick:

:clap:   :cool:  ......................................  ZEP

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2017, 08:01:17 PM »

I have a coleman 24 can stacker that's about 3" more shallow (8" vs 11"). A 2-3/8" hole saw fits perfect for the Anova with no other items required.
Perfect fit and perfect depth as the Anova  sits flatly on the bottom. It's simply perfect.

A 9 lb butt takes up about 1/3 of the void. And as stated -  zero moisture loss and excellent heat retention.

I wood recommend either version for all with big ole cuts of meat.  :beer:
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up