Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bobitis on 18 Sep 2017
  • Feel free to move, but where?

Meatloaf to me is... meatloaf. And that's where the venture begins.

1 lb each ground...

Beef, pork, lamb, buffalo, and veal. Loaf, right? Just say no to the birds.

3 tubes of crushed bacon flavored Ritz crackers.
    3 large eggs
    1 large sweet onion
    3 small peppers (green/yellow/red) finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic smashed
    3 tbs worchestershire (sp) sauce
    1 tbs soy sauce
    1 tsp 5 spice powder

I like to do the veggies in a pan and sauté in butter until clear. Don't over do it. Set to side and let cool. At this time, feel free to add any rub of choice.
    Mix the meats and everything else In a large bowl and combine with sauces and eggs.

When all is at room temp, incorporate it all together by slowly hand mixing. Try not to make a mush out of it (be gentle) and return to the fridge.

Secure your bread pans (4-6) and line them with plastic wrap. Be generous. Gently spoon in the  mixture and tamp it into the sides and corners. Fill the pans to the top, and cover them. Back to the fridge over night.

Day two.. Fire up the grill to a smoke setting and take out the loafs. They should be easy to remove. Dust with your favorite rub and wait for the smoker to get to a stable temp.  My Jr will smoke at 180 for hours, so I aim for 2. Then I up the temp to 225 and search for an IT of 160-180.

Because I'm old school, ketchup works for me as a sauce. Sometimes simple is best.

• #2 by pmillen on 18 Sep 2017

• My son and I love smoked meat loaf.  I sometimes make one just for sandwiches to eat when we're sitting on a stump after a morning hunt.  We have a pretty good recipe.  Yours also looks pretty good.  I may do my own private cook-off.

Readers!  Post your meatloaf recipe.  I'll cook them against each other like the pub's pool table.  The winner takes on the next challenger.

EDIT:  Added photograph.
  • #3 by Bentley on 18 Sep 2017
  • It is one fine meal...I just need mashed potatoes w/country gravy and peas to complete it!  And later that evening, when it has been in the fridge, I need 2 pieces of white bread and mayo...
  • #4 by JimAZ on 18 Sep 2017
  • I love meatloaf on the pellet smoker.  Best way to cook it.
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 18 Sep 2017
  • 2 lbs. hamburger
    1 lb sausage
    2 eggs
    1 cup bread crumbs
    2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    1 large onion, processed really fine in food processor or grated
    1 Tbs fresh garlic
    1 Tbs salt
    1 Tbs pepper
    Ketchup -- big, big squirt, maybe 3-4 Tbs
    Mustard -- smaller squirt, maybe 1 1/2 Tbs

Mix with hands until really well blended.  I shape by hand into oblong loaves.  Cook at 325 on second shelf of Memphis Pro for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  I like to put ketchup on the top and smear around before the cook.  The family usually prefers to have gravy with meatloaf, so most of the time I have to leave the ketchup off.

Note:  Bent says bobitis has the $50 meatloaf and I have the 50 cent meatloaf, so just stop right now and declare him the winner.  He says bobitis's meatloaf just sounds so much more like a winner than mine, that there is no need to make mine.
  • #6 by Queball on 19 Sep 2017
  • Stuffed, Spiral meatloaf.
    • Queball
  • #7 by Queball on 19 Sep 2017
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]
    • Queball
  • #8 by pmillen on 19 Sep 2017
  • A great idea, Queball!  You are a gifted culinarian.
  • #9 by pz on 19 Sep 2017
  • What great ideas!  :clap:

Very nice idea to stuff the meatloaf Queball - have you done other kinds of fillings?
  • #10 by Bentley on 19 Sep 2017
  • $3, $2, $6, $10, $12...It must be phenomenal in taste, but that is not a Cheap Screw Meatloaf!

1 lb each ground...

Beef, pork, lamb, buffalo, and veal. Loaf, right? Just say no to the birds.

• #11 by Queball on 19 Sep 2017
  • I was thinking the same thing. And with a pound of each meat, that's 5lbs, just in the meat department. .... Gonna be one monster meatloaf, but I'll bet it's tasty!
    • Queball
  • #12 by Quadman750 on 19 Sep 2017
  • Stuffed, Spiral meatloaf.

Great idea, I have a fatty piston stuffer.
  • #13 by Bentley on 19 Sep 2017
  • The Brussels Sprout, a very under appreciated cabbage family member...truly delicious when finished with a pan fry!
  • #14 by pz on 19 Sep 2017
  • With this type of approach have also done mushrooms & cheese. Here is a different approach. I'll post the cook for this on a later date. This is smokey ground brisket with a cheese, spinach and stuffing core, wrapped in a bacon weave. Served with Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes and sliced mushroom gravy..

My goodness you have quite the culinary talent Queball  :clap:

That filling sounds scrumptious, and is definitely something I would like to try. I like the idea of substituting regular ground meat with grinds of your own  My wife likes ground tri-tip, but I'm partial to ground brisket point.
  • #15 by Queball on 19 Sep 2017
  • Great idea, I have a fatty piston stuffer.
    [/quote]

What is a "fatty piston stuffer" ..... Got a picture of that?

Brussel's sprouts steamed then gently pan fried in some butter ...... Yea! Man. Sometimes they sell them here where they are still on the stalk wrapped all around it. You get about a 1-1/2' stalk and it is just covered with the Brussels sprouts.
    • Queball
Pages:
Actions