Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by sbryant24 on 02 May 2020
  • After selling my RT-680 to a friend a couple of years ago and getting a Firecraft Q450, I've bought a Rec Tec RT-590.  I think the Q450 worked better as a grill especially with the ability to open the door on the drip pan and have an open flame.  I never could duplicate the ribs I was making on my Rec Tec though.  I have eaten off of my old unit since my friend has it and it reminded me of the food I used to make. I can't explain why there would be a difference in the way the two units cook at lower temps, but to me, there is.
  • #2 by okie smokie on 02 May 2020
  • Welcome back to RT. Had mine almost a year, and so far, so good.  If I were to want any improvements, it would be to double  wall the cooking area to conserve heat.  Otherwise no complaints. With GrillGrates added it is hard to beat.  Enjoy! :cool: :clap:
  • #3 by Canadian John on 02 May 2020

•  Now, there is a man who knows what he likes..There is just something about good tasting food.
  • #4 by pmillen on 02 May 2020
  • I won't challenge your ability to taste a difference.  There's a cook in a small Omaha restaurant who is extremely successful at tasting a dish and identifying the seasonings.  He even does okay at identifying seasoning ratios (1 part this, 2 parts that...).  I think that the copy cat recipes on various web sites are written by people with that skill.

Not me.
  • #5 by reubenray on 02 May 2020
  • Is buying through the Rec-Tec website the only way to buy one? 
  • #6 by sbryant24 on 02 May 2020

Yes.....or buy used from someone near you.
  • #7 by sbryant24 on 02 May 2020
  • I won't challenge your ability to taste a difference.  There's a cook in a small Omaha restaurant who is extremely successful at tasting a dish and identifying the seasonings.  He even does okay at identifying seasoning ratios (1 part this, 2 parts that...).  I think that the copy cat recipes on various web sites are written by people with that skill.

Not me.

Not so much taste or seasonings, just the quality of the product overall.

• #8 by BigDave83 on 02 May 2020
  • The firecraft is that bad? I had a 680, smoke flavor was nonexistent, no matter what pellets I used, and it would take over an hour to get to 435. So it was useless as a grill. I talked with them but we never got anywhere with it. 
  • #9 by reubenray on 02 May 2020

Thanks,  I like to actually see something before I spend that much money.
  • #10 by pmillen on 02 May 2020
  • Not so much taste or seasonings, just the quality of the product overall.

Yeah, but it takes a good palate to make that differentiation.  Not me.
  • #11 by sbryant24 on 02 May 2020
  • The firecraft is that bad? I had a 680, smoke flavor was nonexistent, no matter what pellets I used, and it would take over an hour to get to 435. So it was useless as a grill. I talked with them but we never got anywhere with it.

I think the Q450 does well as a grill. I've never felt "great" about the food I've smoked on it. 
  • #12 by sbryant24 on 02 May 2020

Thanks,  I like to actually see something before I spend that much money.

I'm pretty comfortable with them as a company having been a customer before.
  • #13 by okie smokie on 03 May 2020
    When you go down to 220* on the 590, you get plenty of smoke effect.  My recent brisket has great smoke flavor, not too much, but very definite. At 225 or below the control switches to more intermittent fan and enhances the effect. I think that they have adjusted the control algorithms to do that (like the P settings on Traeger?). Anyhow it works for me. Also, I have a smoke canister but never use it now. 
  • #14 by reubenray on 27 May 2020
  • Looking at the dimensions of the 590 is this correct that there in only 9.5" of space between the grill and the top?  My GMG DB has around 13".   I have a rotisserie in the DB where I could not put one in the 590.
Pages:
Actions