Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by just4fn on 03 May 2020
  • I need help!  my pellets got wet because the cover leaked on my DB.  My DB is 2.5 years old. The pellets turned to cement.  The auger is stuck. I have removed the box and I cannot turn the auger. I have now remove the auger component and I have put it in water trying to soften it up.  It's been 24 hours and it still won't move. Any suggestions?  Can this still be under warranty since the cover leaked?  I hope the auger motor didn't burn out.  Thanks for the help!   :puke:

[ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 May 2020
  • Contact GMG.  They should be able to give you instructions on how to remove the auger.  You will then need a hammer and chisel to get the pellets off it the auger, clean out the auger channel and probably your pellet hopper of all pellets.  Reassemble and you should be good to go.
  • #3 by TravlinMan on 03 May 2020
  • I need help!  my pellets got wet because the cover leaked on my DB. 
    Can this still be under warranty since the cover leaked?  I hope the auger motor didn't burn out.  Thanks for the help!   :puke:

Warranty - no - not likely.

Recommend watching the auger removal video on the GMG help website.  The auger should be connected to the motor drive with a cotter pin.  If you remove the motor from the auger, you should be able to get access to the auger and work it out of the housing.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/support/daniel-boone/

https://youtu.be/HYMahnJ6vO0
  • #4 by just4fn on 03 May 2020
  • Thanks for the suggestions!  I have done that.  I have removed the motor,  I have access to the auger,  I put a screwdriver in where the cotter pin was for leverage and it wont budge.  I now have the whole component in soaking in water the last 24 hours and still no go.  I am just going to let it live there for a while.  I may try a rosebud along the tube to heat is up if nothing works.  Thanks again, this is a challenge.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 May 2020
  • I know when this happened in my MAK I had to get a small wood dowel and a rubber mallet and hit the auger at the firepot end to bang it out of the auger tube.  The MAK has a removable fire pot which left room to use a hammer to bang the auger out.  We also used a screwdriver like pry bar as well to pry the auger out.  Have you tried chiseling the pellet dust off of the auger?
  • #6 by just4fn on 03 May 2020
  • I have tried hammering on the firebox end but it didn't budge.  Here are some pictures:

[ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #7 by Bentley on 03 May 2020
  • How long has it been since the water got in?

I would try something like CRC or WD-40.  You cant soak it in it but you can get some in to try an get it lubed.  You might also try a mixture of diesel and 90 weight gear oil.
  • #8 by just4fn on 03 May 2020
  • since winter.  Great idea about the wd40.  I will try that tomorrow after soaking.  Thanks!
  • #9 by Canadian John on 03 May 2020
  •  "Generally" a tap on the end of the auger shaft loosens it just enough so that wiggling the auger it back and forth until it finally frees, does it.  The key is the initial looseness gained by tapping the auger,

first at one end then the other. You don't want to hit the auger so hard that it mushrooms, just firm taps.. The rotate back and forth is done with either a pipe wrench or a pair of Vicegrips. Both will leave marks

that can be  easily fifer down later..  The water soak idea should work given time.  Let us know the outcome please. Excellent photos by the way!
  • #10 by yorkdude on 03 May 2020
  • From past experience, I (personally would not soak it). I have had a terrible auger jam on a vertical pit boss, my fault. I cleaned and cleaned it until I got it to “budge”.Took it completely apart, used a tad of vegetable oil on the feed tube and auger edges, got it moving freely and  Then I reassembled it and made sure there was no dust anywhere. It has not failed me since. Just how I did it.
  • #11 by just4fn on 03 May 2020
  • Ok,  I got it out by tapping and turning.  The only problem is the auger is bent.  I tried to bend it back by eyeball but it's not perfect.  I'm going to buy a new auger.  [ Invalid Attachment ]

unless you think it might be ok.  I just dont want noises and the auger to hit the inside of the tube.
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 03 May 2020
  • Not sure how there motors and gear boxes are but in most if this happens it will take out some of the plastic gears in the transmission. If you are getting an auger I would get a motor also.
  • #13 by just4fn on 03 May 2020
  • Not sure how there motors and gear boxes are but in most if this happens it will take out some of the plastic gears in the transmission. If you are getting an auger I would get a motor also.

I tried the auger motor by hot wire and it seems to work.  The gear turns and the fan obviously spins.  I guess I can always get a motor later if needed.  Thanks for the suggestion!
  • #14 by Canadian John on 03 May 2020
  •  
    The auger to auger tube clearance isn't tight, meaning a slight bend in the auger shouldn't cause a problem.. Simply place the auger in the CLEANED out  auger tube where it goes and see if it turns freely.. If it

turns easily with just the drag of the auger in the housing, you should be good to go..If the auger is so bent it won't fit into the housing or binds, straightening or a replacement is in order... I used to straighten

a lot of arrows in my archery days. In a pinch, rolling the arrow over a truly flat surface revealed the high spot. Supporting the shaft equally distant from the high spot and forcing the high sid back down does it.

The metal auger or arrow has memory and will tend to return to the bent shape. That requires the bend back distance to be a bit more than the  actual bend itself..You can always give it a try.
  • #15 by just4fn on 03 May 2020
  • that was going to be my last attempt but I didn't have to.
Pages:
Actions