Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 03 May 2020
  •   Yes I know this is Pellet Fan, not a coffee shop info centre..During my research into coffee brewers and grinders, I have unearthed a wealth of information, far beyond of what I could have imagined prior to my

investigations.. As most of us drink coffee, and a lot of that is home brewed. Of the home brewers, some but not all grind their beans. One of the problems resulting in grinding coffee beans is static electricity

- most annoying. This annoyance is more prominent when grinding darker beans. The answer is  simple. Either wet a finger, or dip a spoon handle into water, insert into the beans in the hopper and stir. This

miniscule amount of water has a major effect on reducing static cling in the hopper.. Hard to believe I know.

The above applies to burr grinders..Static cling is not to be confused with fines.
  • #2 by Bentley on 04 May 2020
  • I certainly enjoy the discourse and the post! 

Never had an issue grinding beans, but I dont know what a burr grinder is.  All I have eve used is a "spice" grinder for beans.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 05 May 2020
  •   Thanks Bent. I appreciate that.

A "burr" grinder grinds using 2 burrs, one stationary, the other rotates..The burrs can either be flat or conical in shape. The burr surfaces have small teeth. That's what grinds the beans. Grind size is obtained by

adjusting the gap between the burrs; large gap = coarser grind..Burr grinders, for the most part, generate a more consistent grind size than blade grinders...Some have timers and pulse buttons to regulate the

amount of grounds... These grinders are mostly electric, however there manual models.

Blade grinders/spice grinders chop the beans rather than grind them. They are dependent on the operator as to the outcome of the finished product. These machines require shaking while grinding to achieve a

more uniform grind size. Frequently used by one person, the finished product can become fairly uniform in size.

In the end it's a personal thing, what a person likes. There is no right or wrong.
Pages:
Actions