Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there things you prefer to cook with charcoal?  (Read 1160 times)

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Are there things you prefer to cook with charcoal?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »

Steak, Chicken (especially wings), and I actually prefer the taste of many things over charcoal, but use the pellet grill more for the convenience. Burgers, however, I prefer the taste of from the pellet grill. I made our Easter Prime Rib over charcoal.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 07:44:22 AM »

No, not really.
I have a charcoal kettle stashed under the stairway around back and hardly ever get it out and bother with the process of preheating coals.

HOWEVER, I do have plans to fire it up in a few days.
I'm gonna wheel it over to the lot line between me and next door neighbor. He and I are gonna do a outdoor -keep yo distance- B.S. session and will probably invite over a few other neighbor guys. (Bring your own lawn chair & drinks). It will be easier to set up rather than lug the Advantage there.
Just Burgs & dogs.

Late update - It was snowing yesterday afternoon. So might have to wait 'til things warm up again before we have an outdoor session
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 08:16:18 AM by Trooper »
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 09:26:38 AM »

I have to confess.  I bought the Masterbuilt Gravity 560 in January and have been really enjoying it.  I've missed that charcoal flavor on steaks and burgers.
Glad to hear you like it. I'm thinking about doing the same after the plague is gone. 

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »

Glad to hear you like it. I'm thinking about doing the same after the plague is gone.

They just released the larger unit, the 1050 (I think).  I'm going to take a serious look at it when it's advisable to mingle with the public.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 04:22:42 PM »

They just released the larger unit, the 1050 (I think).  I'm going to take a serious look at it when it's advisable to mingle with the public.

So you guys are thinking 2022 huh?   ;D

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 07:22:41 PM »

I have two Weber kettles and have been thinking about fitting one with a ThermoWorks Bellows since I have the Signals controller.

I would have to drill a one inch hole in my model. There is a good video on YouTube showing where and how to drill it.

I have to check to see if I dumped my old third kettle. I think I did. Otherwise, it would have been good for testing.

Wifi based temperature controls are great.

I've had two Ronco Showtime Rotisseries. I like set it and forget it cooking.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:13:42 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

dclord

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 09:40:06 PM »

In addition to my pellet grill, I have a Weber Kettle and a Bull propane grill. I prefer charcoal for hamburgers, steaks, carne asada, and ahi. Oh, and pizza. I rarely use the gas grill unless it's dark, cold, rainy, or I just really feel lazy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 09:46:23 PM »

I used to but not any more.  I seem to have found a process on my PG500 that I can use to turn out steaks that I enjoy every bit as much as charcoal.  My Weber kettle gets fired up a couple of times a year just to keep any mold from appearing in it (I keep it in the event I ever need any extra capacity).

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 11:45:19 AM »

How did this go?

HOWEVER, I do have plans to fire it up in a few days.
I'm gonna wheel it over to the lot line between me and next door neighbor. He and I are gonna do a outdoor -keep yo distance- B.S. session and will probably invite over a few other neighbor guys.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up