Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dk117 on 04 May 2020
  • Locked up with no place to go for my birthday so I ordered a Wagyu Tri-Tip Black Grade from Snake River Farms.  $79 3.4 lbs.

Shipped Frozen, arrived one day late (don't blame them one bit, in fact their customer service and follow up each step of the process was incredible.  Packaging was impressive, frankly overboard.)  Arrived partially frozen, then let thaw for 5 days in the fridge.

I've got several pictures, I figure for $79 for a Tri-Tip, might as well document the process and share. 
  • #2 by dk117 on 04 May 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #3 by dk117 on 04 May 2020
  • I was frankly surprised how much trimming I had to do, and in retrospect, I wonder if I could have just left it alone.    Texture was ... unique, felt different.  More on that in a bit.  Silver skin bothered me visually, but I never noticed it in the end product.   
  • #4 by dk117 on 04 May 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 May 2020
  • Looks great.  A couple of questions.  What rub did you put on it?  How did you cook it?  Did you cut both side of the tri-tip across the grain?  The pic doesn't look that way, but wasn't sure.
  • #6 by dk117 on 04 May 2020
  • Pretty standard cook.  Not my best tri-tip cook.   Worcestershire glue, a dusting of Oakridge black ops, and then Montreal seasoning.  Reverse sear, I kept on the pit for probably 30 minutes too long and went over my target IT of 110.   Then I only had a few minutes on the gasser so didn't get as much of a crust as I had hoped.   The final product, the IT's were all over the place, and I mean all over, from 131 to 172.   I even changed quick probes to be sure.  I did allow for a nearly 20 min rest and still lost some juices.   
  • #7 by dk117 on 04 May 2020
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #8 by hughver on 04 May 2020
  • It looks superb and great knife (slicer) work.
  • #9 by dk117 on 04 May 2020
  • haha, thanks guys, I'm trying a new process for a picture rich post.  I'm typing from my computer, but posting pictures from my phone (where the pictures reside) you guys are beating me to the punch before finishing up the post.

1. knife skills.  I went to an electric slicer, for me it's just a game changer.
    2.  BBL I think you're right, looking back at the pictures it does look like I mostly followed the grain.

The final picture was May 2nd birthday dinner!   Mashed cauliflower with chives (no carbs, but lots of butter and salt).   Roasted carrots.  These needed some more time, a little al dente, warmed up for dinner on the third and they were better, still needs some work.  Improvements on the chimichurri from last time (added cilantro).   And then the Tri-Tip itself.

I know my process wasn't perfect, I have done better Tri-Tips cooks.  However, this was the most tender Tri-Tip I've ever eaten.  The best way I can explain it is roughly in line with a Ruth's Chris filet mignon.   For me that is high praise.

I've paid between $5.99 and $7.99 a lb recently for Tri-Tips.   Going $23 a lb plus $10 shipping and tax.   One really needs to ask if this was a good value.   I'm going to say yes, once a year or so.   This was enjoyable and I'll try it again.   Thanks for reading. 

• #10 by hughver on 04 May 2020
  • Did you cut both side of the tri-tip across the grain?  The pic doesn't look that way, but wasn't sure.

I agree, not cut across grain. It may have been tenderer across grain, but how did it taste otherwise?
  • #11 by dk117 on 04 May 2020
  • Did you cut both side of the tri-tip across the grain?  The pic doesn't look that way, but wasn't sure.

I agree, not cut across grain. It may have been tenderer across grain, but how did it taste otherwise?
    I was expecting more internal marbling, or a burst of additional flavor.  Nope, it just tasted like a filet mignon instead of a Tip-Tip.  That's the only way I can think to explain it.    I mean it tasted fantastic, but the only defining taste outside of any other Tri-Tip was the tenderness itself. 
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 May 2020
  • Value is in the eyes of the beholder.  As long as you thought there was value, no one can take that away from you.

I bought some Prime steaks recently after having them last year sometime.  I used to think it was great to get $5/# NY strip or porterhouse.  After having these prime steaks a few times, I am OK with the $10-$12/# price tag.  The tenderness is so different on the prime.
  • #13 by Bentley on 04 May 2020
  • No disrespect meant, just bored!

• #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 May 2020
  • I thought on side of the tri-tip had grain running in a different direction than another side so you shouldn't cut it completely lengthwise for every slice to get the optimal tenderness.
  • #15 by Bentley on 04 May 2020
  • Depending on size and how well the butcher knows the cut, yes.  But at some point I say it aint worth the trouble.  This one looks pretty uniform to me.  I think I have pretty good knife skills, but would much rather use a slicers too!

I thought on side of the tri-tip had grain running in a different direction than another side so you shouldn't cut it completely lengthwise for every slice to get the optimal tenderness.

Pages:
Actions