Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Poll

If allowed in your State, County, City...Would you go back to church, restaurants, bowling, hair salon...pick your activity.

Yes
No.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you ready?  (Read 5905 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Are you ready?
« on: May 04, 2020, 07:15:15 PM »

Just taking a small pulse of the country.  I think we have a pretty good representation of the country, maybe a little lite on the female side...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Are you ready?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 07:25:38 PM »

Restaurants are about the only places that I would like to go to other than grocery and pharmacy.  Until their is a better indication about how they catch this virus early in someone and have some meds to stop you from needing to get to the respirator stage, I will probably be staying in.  Right now, I go out about once a week to pick up groceries and beverages.  Often times on the weekend, get together with a few of my cousins for some table games.  All of us are working from home and the only other interaction we have outside of our group is going to the grocery.  Ask me again in 30 days and my story may be different.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:30:27 PM »

I voted yes.  If it is done smartly, I would not have a problem going to the barber (although I sheared my hair myself a few days ago).  I do not have much hair, but mostly go for the social aspect.  I know that word "social" seems to have bad meanings these days.  My state opened parks up this weekend, so we did take the family and dog out to the park for something different.  I have been to the supermarket many times and even though they monitor how many folks go in, and have everyone stand on line, it has always been pretty crowded.  If restaurants are smart about seating arrangements etc. might think about going there too, provided I am still working and have money.   Church the same way, if they are smart with seating at first then yes church too. 

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 07:52:32 PM »

Not ready to yet. My mother is in assisted living and I haven't seen her in close to 2 months. Don't want to jeopardize things once I can see her again.
FE PG 1000

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 07:54:22 PM »

I have to say, I am embarrassed about how paranoid I let myself get. I am not diminishing the potential dangers. Not in my wheel house, having said that, some (including me) have exacerbated this. Just my opinion, nothin but feelings to base it on. I am no longer willing to hunker down to help mitigate the risks, we have 3 children and a dandy Granddaughter and best I can tell the check we all had to write (taxpayers) and hope it will cash is a tremendous burden. I helped to saddle them with it. As Doris Day so eloquently sang, Que sera sera, whatever will be will be. Did my rant make you try to sing it? Back when I was racing drag boats our saying was as we were hitting the detonator (magneto switch) “Let er happin Capn”. Off we went.

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 08:20:48 PM »

No for us.
No restaurant for sure
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 08:49:49 PM »

My home state, Nebraska, is in the first round of opening.  Not for Marcia and me.  We'll wait it out until the CDC says is safe to mingle with the public.  I've seen too many people who take no precautions and, I think, endanger others.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 09:06:54 PM »

Yes, I will go forth.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »

I will wait a while before going to eat at restaurants, etc. My problem is people don't seem to know how to social distance. Not sure why it is so hard to stay 6 feet from someone  ???.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 09:31:50 PM »

We'll wait it out until the CDC says is safe to mingle with the public. 

I am just curious and don't mean this in an aggressive manner -- why do you think the CDC will know?

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 09:41:06 PM »

I already have been to restaurants twice since Texas opened on Friday.  I have been tracking the numbers for our county and just don't trust the numbers.  We keep being told that a spike is coming in Harris County that never arrives (or hasn't for almost 3 weeks now).  Lastly, data models seem to routinely be wrong these days (seas rising, elections, number of dead from pandemic, etc.) so I don't put a lot of stock in them.

That being said everybody should do what they feel is best for themselves.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 06:52:56 AM »

I am very willing to respect those who do not wish to go out.  I go a step forward and say we, as a society, should re-open things and identify those in vulnerable groups and do what we need to support them in a shelter in place policy until a vaccine is developed -- grocery and pharm deliveries, home health care visits if needed, etc.  What I don't see from a lot who wish to stay at home is a respect for my desire to go out.

For example, across from us is a park and the Master Gardeners have built a pollinator garden at the park with paths and an info kiosk. This is the time of year that we need to trim, deadhead and weed extensively or the garden looks derelict and overrun.  We have been advised that, due to the shut down, we may not go outside in the garden and weed and maintain it -- even if we go and maintain 6 ft from each other or if we go by ourselves. Sorry, but that makes no sense. No one can pull weeds by themselves in an outdoor garden.

But I am not a scofflaw and follow the regulations set down, so the garden, which should be at its height of beauty for those who are allowed to walk in the park for exercise, looks like a weedpatch.  But do I believe it is completely assinine and overkill and have to wonder at its purpose -- yes.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 08:13:58 AM »

I am very willing to respect those who do not wish to go out.  I go a step forward and say we, as a society, should re-open things and identify those in vulnerable groups and do what we need to support them in a shelter in place policy until a vaccine is developed -- grocery and pharm deliveries, home health care visits if needed, etc.  What I don't see from a lot who wish to stay at home is a respect for my desire to go out.

For example, across from us is a park and the Master Gardeners have built a pollinator garden at the park with paths and an info kiosk. This is the time of year that we need to trim, deadhead and weed extensively or the garden looks derelict and overrun.  We have been advised that, due to the shut down, we may not go outside in the garden and weed and maintain it -- even if we go and maintain 6 ft from each other or if we go by ourselves. Sorry, but that makes no sense. No one can pull weeds by themselves in an outdoor garden.

But I am not a scofflaw and follow the regulations set down, so the garden, which should be at its height of beauty for those who are allowed to walk in the park for exercise, looks like a weedpatch.  But do I believe it is completely assinine and overkill and have to wonder at its purpose -- yes.
Exactly!

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 08:43:16 AM »

I voted NO- Why? being in my mid seventies puts me in the high risk group..I don't need to go to work any more, nor do I do sports... Eating out, a subject recently covered here, is not appealing as we do a 

much better job at home... Travelling long distances to visit our family and not stopping to eat or take a break will have to wait until we know for sure just how safe, safe is. 

Being retired and having a less vigorous lifestyle has made adjusting to Covid-19 easier for us than the younger set.

We go for essentials paying special attention to the most  minute details... I also go for my daily, early morning walks..

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 09:00:06 AM »

My family falls in the age / health group that is generally not terribly affected by COVID-19. Outside of my wife and kids, our closest relative on either side of our family lives about 9 hours away so we have no monthly contact with family that is of the age, or pre-existing health conditions, that are more susceptible to COVID-19 issues. I voted yes. I am more open to getting back to close to "normal" than my wife is. If she were on here, she would probably cancel my vote. I do have concerns that if I were to get back to a fairly normal life, and contracted the virus, I might come in contact with someone who has loved ones that fall into the category that is more susceptible to issues caused by COVID-19. I would hate to be the one that passes the bug on unknowingly and be somewhat responsible for a friend's, or even someone I casually know like wait staff at a restaurant, family member contracting the virus. So I am a little torn. I am blessed in that I already work from home, and my wife now works from home for the foreseeable future. This has not impacted us financially nearly as much at it has others I know. The way I look at this, we have to weigh the risk of the virus to the financial impact this is having on society as a whole, and what is right for some is never right for all. I am beginning the think we need to get back to normal as much as possible and still try to protect the more vulnerable groups in society, but that is a very fine line to try to walk.

I do not see this site as having a very diversified demographic. This site will be weighed heavily on the men, over 40, side. I look at the poll with that in mind and fully expect the people that are more susceptible will vote no and the one's that are less suscetptible, and needing to get back to work to provide for their families, to say yes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:07:04 AM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up