Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 May 2020
  • Has anyone ever tried to sous vide jerky meat, cool, slice, marinade, and dry for jerky?  If so, how did it turn out?  If not, what are your thoughts on how this may or may not work.

I was curious if the sous vide would help to tenderize the meat.  But then, I am concerned that the liquid marinade may not penetrate the meat for flavor as it had already been cooked.
  • #2 by pmillen on 07 May 2020
  • Nope, not tried it.

But would SVing the meat in the marinade and then smoking it be effective?
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 07 May 2020
  • The SV then dry may work. If I could find some meat I would give it a shot. I tried curing a piece of pork loin hen jerky it seemed to become tougher.

I remember Ron Popeil (sp) from Ronco, hocking his dehydrators back in the day they were making jerky from leftover roasts and turkey.

My first go at Turkey was from the Cabelas manual when I bought my 80L it said to cut and bake to 160° before drying. One time doing that was enough, I remember it being a mess. Part of the reason I just started using Cure 1 in all of mine.

Had you posed this question yesterday I could have tried it. A local store had Top round for 3 bucks a pound, I usually would order 10 or 15 pound when they had a sale, I tried that and he told he could nt sell me that much they would not allow it. 2 packs per person. I figured why bother but then came back around and bough the 2 biggest pieces they had a little under 4 pound. It is cut and soaking now.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 May 2020
  • You could try sous vide one bag with the marinade and leave the other bag marinade in the fridge  ;)
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 May 2020
  • The primary reason I posed the question was that I am trying to talk myself into buying a 2nd Anova and having to use it for a lot of jerky at one time would be a good reason. ;)
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 07 May 2020
  • My thought on the tenderness is that once you Sv it is tender but the meat still has some shrinkage as the liquid cooks out, now it cools and tightens up and on top of that you are going to dry it out more tightening it even more.
Pages:
Actions