Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shun knives  (Read 317 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Shun knives
« on: May 08, 2020, 04:10:47 PM »

I know alot of people swear by these, but I have grown to really dislike my Shun chefs knife. I didn't think it performed that well brand new, and after probably close to 2 years now (not sure how long) I think I'm going back to Wusthof.

I had a Wushtof chefs knife for over a decade that I loved. It had been honed by me regularly, and sharpened professionally several times. It was just time for a new knife, so I figured I'd switch it up.

The Shun just doesn't seem to stay sharp. I'm no expert by any measure at honing, but I manage to keep all my other knives fairly sharp without much issue.

The recent moment that I realized how much I disliked it was after purchasing a 5 inch Wusthof boning knife. This thing was a RAZOR out of the box, and just a joy to use. I understand a chefs knife and a boning knife are different, but it re-opened my eyes to what a knife should be.

I've never really heard anyone say a bad word about Shun. Anyone else have one they aren't really fond of?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Shun knives
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 06:34:28 PM »

This post won't be any help to you, either.

Many of you know me as a knife geek.  I also hold knife opinions based on about 70 years of knife work.  Here's what I have to offer for the moment–

Traditional Japanese knives are perfectly suited for the traditional Japanese kitchen and cooks' characteristics.  They are nothing like western knives.  The steel is different, they're sharpened on only one side (left or right-handed) and they are designed for a specific kind of cutting.  Traditional Japanese knives are near single-purpose knives.  They require extra care because many are easily damaged by using them for the wrong purpose.  (You shouldn't attempt to break down a chicken with a traditional Japanese vegetable knife.)  Even with proper use, Japanese knives require more stone-work than western knives.

When western cooking began to make inroads in the Japanese cuisine, the Japanese knife makers began to make western style chefs knives or at least different Japanese knives.  Today you can buy Japanese-made knives with ground edges and handles that duplicate German cutlery.

I prefer Japanese knives but I've never mentioned it on Pellet Fan because we all seem to be western-knife users.  I have, however, thought about starting a Japanese knife thread and offering my thoughts on history, steel, edges, specific uses, handles...  I've not done so because it could get somewhat long and take me quite a bit of time to write installments.  Moreover, it's not pellet cooking material.

So...FMT, you're a western style cook performing western style knife work.  Your Shun may be of the highest quality but not suited to your style.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 08:29:14 PM »

I know nothing about knives, other then how to dull them.  Have never owned a Shun, nor used one.  I have on the other had used Wushtof, only boning knives, but I like them very much!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 09:48:49 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Interesting information all around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up