Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Amateur radio.  (Read 458 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Amateur radio.
« on: May 08, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »

As I'm part of the older at risk group, maybe I'm taking the self isolation a bit too seriously.

The moment I saw your four-character license I knew that you weren't a rookie.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:11:23 PM by Bentley »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Ham Radio
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 06:30:27 PM »

The moment I saw your four-character license I knew that you weren't a rookie.

Coming up on being licensed 58 years next month.

I am truly amazed at how things have changed over the years.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »

I'll bite...what is the license!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

W6YJ

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 12:06:05 AM »

Amateur radio. It opened doors into electronics for me 50 years ago.
Now I own a linked network of eight mountain top repeaters that cover pretty much all of Southern California.
It has also led to a long career in electronic (now microelectronic) engineering.
Most of my work these days is focused on testing devices for radiation hardness for use in space.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 01:55:11 AM »

My older brother is an avid armature radio operator, he has had his license since 1957.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

W6YJ

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 12:53:51 PM »

Excellent. He has me beat by five years.

hughver

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 02:23:26 PM »

However, unlike your prestigious two letter call sign, he has a 3 letter call sign starting with W4B. I suspect that this is because at the time, there were more hams in the W4 area than W6. I got my license in early 1960 and had a WA5 prefix.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 03:02:33 PM »

So I have to ask this. Having only had a cb radio 100 years ago, what can you do with these (other than distances and no goobers) that can’t be done with current technology. Is it a comaderie type thing? I honestly don’t know.

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 04:16:08 PM »

So I have to ask this. Having only had a cb radio 100 years ago, what can you do with these (other than distances and no goobers) that can’t be done with current technology. Is it a comaderie type thing? I honestly don’t know.
I must admit to this same ignorance.  My father in law was really big into Ham Radio.  Something about saying hi to people around the world and documenting the process made him happy.  Ok but (and I'm no spring chicken and no judgement) didn't the interwebs (even pre WWW) of the very early 90's make this obsolete?  I too want to better understand the camaraderie and passion around this hobby.

Thanks.   
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

hughver

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 05:49:58 PM »

I'm not sure about other people, but the allurer for me was to be able to design, build and operate a complex piece of electronics that would allow you to talk to people around the world. Ham radio is used all over the globe for emergency communications and does not require WiFi. I gave it up and let my license expire in 1970. I'm sure that W6YJ will have a much better answer.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »

There is a group in our area and once a year they set up for 48 hours across from us in the park.  They invite the public in and they are there 24 hours a day for the two days.  If I understood correctly, they have a list of people worldwide they attempt to contact in that 48 hour period and who also try to contact them.

I understood the biggest advantage to be that they are a back-up national and international emergency contact network.  If, for some reason, our communications network and/or electric grid were attacked and taken down, they could communicate information on behalf of local authorities and the gov't.  I know they also do the testing in conjunction with some type of drill which involves a mock accident or attack on a nuclear plant about 30 miles from here..  I guess the same could be true for natural diasters.  But I am sure W6YJ can advise whether I understood correctly and a lot more.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 08:19:04 PM »

Sounds like a new thread should be started for this ham radio discussion so it doesn't get buried.

I am curious what makes this technology not capable of being sabotaged like other newer technologies.  I am also curious to hear what else this technology is used for in the "internet" age.  I have not seen a CB radio since the late 70s.  Does ham radio use a CB or something else?  I willingly admit I am ignorant to how this stuff even works.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

W6YJ

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 08:34:23 PM »

There is a group in our area and once a year they set up for 48 hours across from us in the park.  They invite the public in and they are there 24 hours a day for the two days.  If I understood correctly, they have a list of people worldwide they attempt to contact in that 48 hour period and who also try to contact them.

I understood the biggest advantage to be that they are a back-up national and international emergency contact network.  If, for some reason, our communications network and/or electric grid were attacked and taken down, they could communicate information on behalf of local authorities and the gov't.  I know they also do the testing in conjunction with some type of drill which involves a mock accident or attack on a nuclear plant about 30 miles from here..  I guess the same could be true for natural diasters.  But I am sure W6YJ can advise whether I understood correctly and a lot more.

Kristin,

Your description is dead on. The event you've described is called Field Day and is held on the 4th full weekend in June. It is a combination of a contact contest and emergency preparedness. All equipment must be powered from a portable power source.

DK117,

Amateur / ham radio is 'outdated' these days, but does provide both a way of learning about electronics, contacting others - either strangers or other hams someone knows. If /when the **** hits the fan, whether a natural disaster, or something else, ham radio still works when both the Internet and cell service is down.

Hughver,

My original call was a six character call like your WA5xxx call had been. The four character callsigns are restricted to the Amateur Extra class licenses. All of them are now re-issues as they were originally issued in the 1920s. They are somewhat hard to get as there are so few available. My call was originally issued to Oakland Technical High School in 1928. I'm the second to have it re-issued after they stopped their ham radio program in the 1960s.

There are quite a few areas of interest within ham radio, from HF operation between 1.8MHz and 30 Mhz that can make worldwide contacts, to microwave contesters that drive to mountain tops and try to make contacts with other microwave contesters. In my case, I enjoy building repeater systems. I have a small linked network of eight repeaters (two belong to a friend) spread across southern California and are all tied together. People can talk to anyone anywhere within the coverage area using a small hand held walkie-talkie. I also belong to a very large network of linked repeaters that cover a large portion of the western US and is made up of more than 150 linked repeaters (Cactus Intertie).

Ed

W6YJ

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 08:44:55 PM »

Sounds like a new thread should be started for this ham radio discussion so it doesn't get buried.

I am curious what makes this technology not capable of being sabotaged like other newer technologies.  I am also curious to hear what else this technology is used for in the "internet" age.  I have not seen a CB radio since the late 70s.  Does ham radio use a CB or something else?  I willingly admit I am ignorant to how this stuff even works.

BBL,

CB and ham radio use seperate frequencies / bands. CB has a narrow band segment at 27 MHz with 40 fixed channels, while hams have eighteen bands at or below 1300 MHz, and another twelve microwave bands.

CB is supposed to be limited to 5 Watts (lots of illegal amplifiers out there). The maximum legal power on ham radio is 1500 Watts PEP (sideband voice peak envelope power).

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 08:49:28 PM »

This is all very interesting.  I don't want this to come across negatively so I will state that up front.  Are younger generations still involved in using this technology or is this something that will fall by the wayside like the Indian code used in military situations?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up