Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by cookingjnj on 10 May 2020
  • I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day, and all our mothers out there were spoiled on this day as they should be.

Picked up a USDA Prime Rib Roast from the butcher for the meal tonight. It was a two bone roast and came in at 4.97#. Butcher trimmed the roast then tied the bones (two) back on the roast when I picked it up. Forgot to tell him I was going to smoke this roast, so it had more fat cap than I really wanted. Therefore the roast had a little more fat cap then I wanted. I cut the strings off the ribs, trimmed more of the fat cap, rubbed (first layer Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria, then some Montreal Steak Seasoning) and cooked them both separate. Put them on the pit at 225 for about 2 hours. At the 2 hour mark the roast was at 92 IT (started at 41 IT since I had the roast out of fridge about 45 minutes). Bumped the temp up to 250 for about 30 minutes and then to 275 until the roast hit 130 IT. Pulled onto a cutting board and covered both the roast and rib portions with foil for about 20 minutes. IT went from 130 to 136 IT. Sliced and this roast was VERY good. I might have over seasoned just a tad (I am thinking because I was at the end of the Montreal Seasoning bottle so more salt), but not too bad. Great smoke flavor, and boy spending for Prime beef does make a difference sometimes. I also grilled zucchini as one of the sides.....sorry due to the cook times, the zuch was done on my gasser.

• #17 by RWhyman on 11 May 2020
  • Rack of Pork for my wonderful wife and mother of our two children.

• #18 by Ralphie on 11 May 2020
  • Wow. That is very impressive. The roast looks great and the cake looks professional.
  • #19 by urnmor on 11 May 2020
  • What did you stuff the pork loin with?
    [/quote]

The stuffing was made with Italian style Panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, sautéed green onion, parsley, scallion, diced ginger and garlic and one seeded jalapeño pepper.  They were all mixed together with EVOO and red vinegar. 
  • #20 by bregent on 12 May 2020
  • Mothers Day Bagels. Made the dough Saturday night and my son shaped them. Boiled and baked Sunday morning for a nice breakfast.
  • #21 by yorkdude on 12 May 2020
  • Mothers Day Bagels. Made the dough Saturday night and my son shaped them. Boiled and baked Sunday morning for a nice breakfast.
    Holy cow those look awesome. Great job. They even look like "everything". WOW
  • #22 by Bentley on 12 May 2020
  • Those bagels look as good as any I have bought from a deli! Do you use lye in your water or any substitute?
  • #23 by bregent on 12 May 2020
  • Thanks, they were almost everything - onion, garlic, sesame and poppy.

The water they were boiled in had malt syrup, salt and baking soda. Thought about using lye this time to see if I could get more gloss on them but decided to stick with the usual.
  • #24 by yorkdude on 12 May 2020
  • Care to share your recipe? If not I certainly understand but those were Top Shelf!
  • #25 by bregent on 12 May 2020
  • Here's my current formula and workflow

Bread Flour (100%): 495.66 g | 17.48 oz
    Ice Water (55%): 272.61 g | 9.62 oz
    Inst. Dry Yeast (0.7%): 3.47 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.15 tsp
    Salt (2.25%): 11.15 g | 0.39 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.32 tsp
    Non-Diastatic Barley Malt Syrup (2%): 9.91 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.42 tsp
    Low Diastatic Malt Powder (1%): 4.96 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.98 tsp
    Total (160.95%): 797.77 g | 28.14 oz | 1.76 lbs
    Single Ball: 99.72 g | 3.52 oz

Mixing and forming
    • Put in all the dry ingredients into food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
    • Whisk the malt syrup into the water and then slowly pour the water into the spout while the processor runs.
    • Stop when it turns into a semblance of a ball and then hand knead for a minutes or so.
    • Cover and wait 10 minutes and knead again.
    • Place in a covered bowl for about 1 1/4 hours until it doubles.
    • Divide into 8 equal portion and ball
    • Wait 10 minutes for the dough to relax
    • Degas and shape into bagels
    • Place on PAM sprayed silicon mat on baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and into the fridge overnight

Baking
    • Preheat oven to 450 with rack in middle position
    • Boil a large pot of water with 2 tablespoons malt syrup, 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt
    • Boil 4 at a time for 1 1/2 minutes, flipping 1/2 way through
    • Remove from pot and onto wire rack and let cool for a minute. Press into bowl containing your toppings
    • Place bagels topping side up on silicon mat in shallow sheet pan.
    • Bake at 450 for 14 minutes or until golden brown

Don't worry too much about the low diastatic malt powder, just use a bit more malt syrup - you can find that at homebrew shops or baking supply companies.
  • #26 by urnmor on 12 May 2020

All I can say is wow Man do they look fantastic.  How long does it take to make them
  • #27 by Kristin Meredith on 12 May 2020
  • They look wonderful!!!  Maybe you could also post your recipe in the recipe section under breads?  Thanks for taking the time to write it out in such detail.
  • #28 by bregent on 12 May 2020

All I can say is wow Man do they look fantastic.  How long does it take to make them

Like many breads/baked goods, there's not a lot of hands on time, but you have to wait for the dough to do it's thing. A food processor makes easy work of it. You could use a stand mixer, but for the amount of dough a large food processor works great and is much faster. I usually mix the dough around 8PM and after letting it rise it's ready to shape around 10PM. I let my son do the shaping cause he's much better at it than me. Then it goes into the fridge until the next morning. 

At that point, you just boil for a few minutes, top, and bake straight away for 14 minutes.
  • #29 by bregent on 12 May 2020
  • They look wonderful!!!  Maybe you could also post your recipe in the recipe section under breads?  Thanks for taking the time to write it out in such detail.

Thanks, will do.
Pages:
Actions