Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 May 2020
  • $10 for 20# bag per the flyer that just arrived in my mailbox this afternoon while Traeger pellets are in the same flyer for $19 for 20# bag.  I've used the Cabela's before and they did the job of cooking the food.  Decent price if you are close by a store.
  • #2 by yorkdude on 12 May 2020
  • Might be a dumb question but I wonder if it could be a result of no one using them due to social distancing and meat prices/scarcity?
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 13 May 2020
  • I think the price of the pellets marketed for cooking is coming down because there are so many companies making them now.  They are available everywhere, even Dollar General has kingsofrd pellets and 6" smoke tubes now. Add in the fact that the heating pellet people are putting on their bags a picture of a pellet cooker saying perfect for pellet grills. I have been using Hamers Hot Ones for coking for years, I heat with them also, I also use another brand to heat with that is easier for me to get, I see they have the pellet grill on the bag when I got my winter supply last fall. Really the only advantage to the bbq pellets is if they say they are 100% hickory or cherry or a blend of a couple of woods. You can't get that in a heating pellet, Hamers are primarily oak from what they told me. I like that they are small in length, I rarely see a pellet that is 3/4 to 1 inch long.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 May 2020
  • I think those Cabela's pellets used to be $15 for 20# and the $10 price is now their regular price.  I saw something in the flyer that stated 10% off with a special code it had so at $9 for 20# that seems like a really good deal if you are close and can pick them up.
  • #5 by okie smokie on 13 May 2020
  • I am using Lumberjacks hickory blend for 9.98 for 20 lbs and also Pit Boss competition blend for about the same price.  Like em both. But have been happy with the brands in past. Stopped the Traeger pellets when I could not be assured that they were not still using artificial oils to enhance the flavors etc. Although I will say that the 19$ bags of 32 lb competition pellets at Coscto's seemed to perform well.
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 May 2020
  • To be clear, I am not pushing people to go buy these pellets.  Just throwing it out there as an alternate source at a decent price if people are in a pinch and need pellets and have a store close by.
  • #7 by TravlinMan on 13 May 2020
  • In the same thought of alternative sources for pellets....

Costco - Traeger 'Gormet' $25.99 for 33#
    Wally World, Lowes and Menards generally stock Pit Boss Competition and other flavors at $14.9X for 40#
    Green Mountain Grill pellets at most local hardware stores that sell Green Mountain Grills.
    Lumberjack - good results.
    Have not tried 'Perfect Mix', but the reviews have been very positive.
    Smokin Brothers - good results

Just as a side note: Another Pelletfan and I did a bulk purchase on some pellets from a supplier in northern Michigan a couple years back.  We both had 'auger jamming' issues in our Green Mountain Grills. It was like the pellets were too 'hard' or too tightly compressed? Don't know what the issue was exactly, but they feed fine in the Memphis and Louisiana Grills. Went back to the 'regular name brand' and have not had that problem since.

Observation: The Memphis and LG700 both have large diameter augers and only have to move the pellets a short distance before they drop into the the burn chamber VS a small auger to push them through the auger tube and into the bottom of the burn pot as in the GMG, and little Traeger.

Serving Suggestion....   Try a bag or two of whatever looks good at the time before and if you are considering doing a 'bulk' purchase.

Now back to your regular programming...

Pages:
Actions