Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 May 2020
  • I'm not saying its not possible because there are plenty of styles within 90 miles of me.  It just seems out of ordinary which maybe that's what they were going for.  It looks too homemade for me to believe its their style, but I have never been there to see or believe it.

There seems to be more pizza styles in this country than methods to make ribs which is pretty incredible in my mind.
  • #32 by MN-Smoker on 25 May 2020
  • A few.
    The picture with two are hand stretched and the third is rolled out to be similar to the thin Roman style.
    I can make two crust of these thin with the doughball of one of the others.  Dough balls are about 13 oz for the thicker crust.

• #33 by Free Mr. Tony on 26 May 2020
  • Those look great. Baked on a stone, steel, or something else?
  • #34 by Free Mr. Tony on 31 May 2020
  • This was unintentional, but I thought it ended up a pretty nice pic. I sent this to my daughter letting her know the pizza was done. The pizza oven just happened to be pretty clear in the window reflection.

• #35 by MN-Smoker on 02 Jun 2020
  • Those look great. Baked on a stone, steel, or something else?

Those are done on a steel.  Got oven to about 545.
  • #36 by MN-Smoker on 02 Jun 2020
  • This was unintentional, but I thought it ended up a pretty nice pic. I sent this to my daughter letting her know the pizza was done. The pizza oven just happened to be pretty clear in the window reflection.

I'll have a slice of that!
  • #37 by Bentley on 30 Jun 2020
  • I am trying to duplicate a pizza from Kristin's college years.  The only way I know how to describe it is as a Thick Crust, which is really not of any region I can think of.  It was a place called Carnegie's in La Jolla.  I am not even sure how to describe it.   The rim is more like the 1st Neapolitan in this thread, yet the body is about double that of the NY style, but not the bubble texture of the Detroit or Sicilian.  Just a thicker slice.  Can't seem to get the hydration right, as it is cooked for about 20-25 minutes at 400°.  I wonder if adding lard might help.  What amount of lard did you use per pound or kilo of flour and about how much yeast when you made the Boardwalk type?  Maybe I will try that and see if it is more inline with this, although your cooking temperatures are much higher, but I am also going to assume the dough was much thinner, as my "style" would probably use 2 of those balls for one pie.

Me n Eds in Fresno use to use a 5 cheese blend, no wonder I liked them so much!
  • #38 by 02ebz06 on 01 Jul 2020

Looks like a PizzaParty oven.
    I had the PizzaParty Pizzone at last house.
    Opted for a bigger one at this house, want to start making bread in it as well as pizza.
  • #39 by Free Mr. Tony on 01 Jul 2020
  • I am trying to duplicate a pizza from Kristin's college years.  The only way I know how to describe it is as a Thick Crust, which is really not of any region I can think of.  It was a place called Carnegie's in La Jolla.  I am not even sure how to describe it.   The rim is more like the 1st Neapolitan in this thread, yet the body is about double that of the NY style, but not the bubble texture of the Detroit or Sicilian.  Just a thicker slice.  Can't seem to get the hydration right, as it is cooked for about 20-25 minutes at 400°.  I wonder if adding lard might help.  What amount of lard did you use per pound or kilo of flour and about how much yeast when you made the Boardwalk type?  Maybe I will try that and see if it is more inline with this, although your cooking temperatures are much higher, but I am also going to assume the dough was much thinner, as my "style" would probably use 2 of those balls for one pie.

Me n Eds in Fresno use to use a 5 cheese blend, no wonder I liked them so much!

It was 40 g room temp lard to 750 g of flour. 10 g yeast. So bakers percents of:
    5.3% lard
    1.3% yeast

Water was 500 g if interested. 66% hydration.
  • #40 by Free Mr. Tony on 01 Jul 2020

Looks like a PizzaParty oven.
    I had the PizzaParty Pizzone at last house.
    Opted for a bigger one at this house, want to start making bread in it as well as pizza.

I've heard good things about the Pizza Party ovens. Mine is a members mark from Sam's but is made by I believe NXR. They rebrand alot of similar ovens. I believe I read that they are no longer selling pizza party ovens in the US.

I've thrown around the idea of building a "real" pizza oven for years. Just haven't made it happen yet. Would probably go the four grand mere route if I did. 

Edit: I just happened across your other thread. Looks like you picked the same oven, or similar, that I would.
  • #41 by Bentley on 01 Jul 2020
  • Wow!  Way low on my yeast, no wonder I cant get any bubbles in the rim! And I am way to low on the hydration!  Thanks!

It was 40 g room temp lard to 750 g of flour. 10 g yeast. So bakers percents of:
    5.3% lard
    1.3% yeast

• #42 by Free Mr. Tony on 01 Jul 2020
  • Wow!  Way low on my yeast, no wonder I cant get any bubbles in the rim! And I am way to low on the hydration!  Thanks!

5.3% lard
    1.3% yeast

Typically, the lower temp you cook the higher hydration you would need to get the puffier rim closer to Neapolitan. If you can cook at higher temps, you can get away with a lower hydration if puffy is what you are after.
  • #43 by Bentley on 01 Jul 2020
  • I just had it wrong.  I thought the higher hydration was used in Neapolitan because it was cooked at such a high heat and for such a short period.  I therefore reasoned that a lower temperature and longer cook would require a lower hydration.  But my yeast has been about 4g for 500g of flour.  It has always worked on my other dough for my Neapolitan at about 62% hydration.  Will see what 2 1/2 times the yeast does with 25% more flour.

I am getting some lard tomorrow and will give it a try with some AP flour 1st with the 66% hydration and see if that will correct my issues.
  • #44 by 02ebz06 on 02 Jul 2020

• I've heard good things about the Pizza Party ovens. Mine is a members mark from Sam's but is made by I believe NXR. They rebrand alot of similar ovens. I believe I read that they are no longer selling pizza party ovens in the US.

I've thrown around the idea of building a "real" pizza oven for years. Just haven't made it happen yet. Would probably go the four grand mere route if I did. 

Edit: I just happened across your other thread. Looks like you picked the same oven, or similar, that I would.

Does look similar.
    Correct, they do not export PizzaParty to US anymore. Europe sales only.
    A shame, is a nice oven for price.
    Yes I do have the Four Grand Mere 800B.
    Wanted 900B, but couldn't justify price difference.
    Tough enough convincing SWMBO to spend what we did on the 800B.  ::)

• #45 by 02ebz06 on 02 Jul 2020
  • I just had it wrong.  I thought the higher hydration was used in Neapolitan because it was cooked at such a high heat and for such a short period.  I therefore reasoned that a lower temperature and longer cook would require a lower hydration.  But my yeast has been about 4g for 500g of flour.  It has always worked on my other dough for my Neapolitan at about 62% hydration.  Will see what 2 1/2 times the yeast does with 25% more flour.

I am getting some lard tomorrow and will give it a try with some AP flour 1st with the 66% hydration and see if that will correct my issues.

Dough is amazing, you can take the same 4 or 5 ingredients and and just change percentages and get dozens of different outcomes.
    Every recipe takes tweaking to get it right for you.

Hydration can vary by type of flour.
    Yeast amount can vary by type and how long you ferment.

Below is the recipe I use for General Mills All Trumps flour with a 3 day cold ferment in fridge then 2-3 hour room temp ferment right before making the 14" pizza.
    In a couple months I will be finished with my All Trumps and have a bag of Caputo 00 flour in freezer that I will be changing to.
    It will most likely require higher hydration.

I copied this from a spreadsheet I made that calculates percentages and adjust amounts if I'm making more than one pizza.

Have a dough ball in the fridge now for Saturday cook.
    Will be 2nd pizza in new oven (a definite learning curve).
    I will post pic of it then.
Pages:
Actions