Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Ross77 on 14 May 2020
  • Thoughts on this?  I don't know much about knives.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1327952.html

• #2 by Canadian John on 14 May 2020

•  You could probably start a butcher shop with that kit.

My thoughts:
    would you store the knives in the case? Probably not.

The blade guards are a good thing.

Do you need the fork and does it appear you have a use for ALL the pieces? The fork could be used to lift food stuck on the grates as a lifter fitting en either side of a grate rod. Allin all the set appears to be a good universal set..

The UNKNOWNS are, how do they feel and what kind of quality are the materials, as in, how sharp are the blades? How long lasting are the cutting edges? And how easy are they to sharpen?

Knives are somewhat of a personal thing like a shoe, pellet grill, golf club etc. So guess what the answer may be?

If all feels and looks good, go for it being assured it's COSTCO - no quibble returns.  :2cents:
  • #3 by pmillen on 14 May 2020
  • It's a great sampling of knife configurations.  That's a plus.
    They appear to be forged blades.  That's a plus.

The fork is often used when carving, slicing and serving.

I'm not quite certain what the Japanese style knife is.  If the blade were squared off I'd say it's a Nakiri, a double-bevel, rectangular blade.  The name essentially translates to “vegetable knife,” and it’s great for that use and not so great for anything else.

The tip, however, makes it look like a Mukimono, a single bevel vegetable knife.  This tip style allows for a flat edge and a thin point.  It's used for vegetable peeling, and the tip works well for detailed work.
  • #4 by Ross77 on 14 May 2020
  • I appreciate the feedback.  My main concern is ease of sharpening.  It says it has an Asian style edge so I'm assuming I can't use the sharpener I sharpen my wife's cheap Wolfgang Puck knives with.....? 

It's hard to beat that price and Costco's return policy.
  • #5 by pmillen on 14 May 2020
  • "Asian style edge."  IDK what else it could mean other than single bevel.  You can handle the sharpening but you'll probably need to buy three whetstones.  Actually, a $99 knife set may be the perfect set to learn to sharpen on.  The only things you need to make quality edges are the three decent whetstones, a simple technique that’s easy to repeat, a moderate grasp of the steps, and persistence.

EDIT:  Eversharp Knives, in Minneapolis, may offer sharpening supplies and classes.  They're, what, 15 miles from you?
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 May 2020
  • Or you could do what I do, and buy these types of knives and through them out when they don't cut like you want them to

https://www.therestaurantstore.com/items/403844
  • #7 by dclord on 15 May 2020
  • Cangshan are good knives for the price. The "Asian style edge" in this case means a steeper angle. Makes for a sharper but more fragile edge. You have to be aware of it when sharpening and honing but not really a big deal. If you use a V shaped sharpener, you need to get one that handles the steeper angle.

Personally though, there are particular knife types I use: chef, santoku, 5 inch utility, and a bread knife (serated) and I don't really care for most of the ones in this set.
  • #8 by Ross77 on 15 May 2020
  • I'm looking for a boning knife and a slicing knife.  I was going to get Dalstrong knives but just those two were over $100.  Then I saw the Costco set and figured why not.  Or I go the ultra cheap route and buy the Update branded knives from Amazon for $30 total.
  • #9 by Ross77 on 15 May 2020
  • Or you could do what I do, and buy these types of knives and through them out when they don't cut like you want them to

https://www.therestaurantstore.com/items/403844

Yes I'm considering this route also.  Amazon sells the Update brand knives that are very similar.
  • #10 by Osborn Cox on 15 May 2020
  • "Asian style edge."  IDK what else it could mean other than single bevel.  You can handle the sharpening but you'll probably need to buy three whetstones.  Actually, a $99 knife set may be the perfect set to learn to sharpen on.  The only things you need to make quality edges are the three decent whetstones, a simple technique that’s easy to repeat, a moderate grasp of the steps, and persistence.

EDIT:  Eversharp Knives, in Minneapolis, may offer sharpening supplies and classes.  They're, what, 15 miles from you?

Can you recommend which three whetstones would be a good starter set?    I just bought my first carbon steel knife and bought it with the aim of learning to sharpen it.    It’s an inexpensive Spring steel Nakiri, it came very sharp so I just want to learn to keep it that way.
  • #11 by pmillen on 15 May 2020
  • Bentley, I don't want to hijack Ross' thread too far astray.  Should I post comments on whetstones here, start a new thread or send a PM to Osborn?
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 15 May 2020
  • I have a Victorinox and a Mercer 6" curved boning knife, both on the cheaper side but cut well. I like the handle on the mercer better so i use it more. I like the looks of the Wustof boning knife and I may end up buying one of them but like you hate to drop close 100 bucks on one and then not have it feel comfortable in my hand. WOuld be nice if i could actually to somewhere and handle one of them.

As for slicer I have 2 but rarely use them. I cut up the turkey and ham for Thanksgiving with the Mercer boning knife.
  • #13 by Bentley on 16 May 2020
  • I do not know how to answer for Ross, you can always "split" the thread later if he would like it seperate from this!  Probabaly more then one Member who would like your advise.

Bentley, I don't want to hijack Ross' thread too far astray.  Should I post comments on whetstones here, start a new thread or send a PM to Osborn?
  • #14 by Ross77 on 16 May 2020
  • No worries, you can hijack the thread.  ;D 

I ended up buying two cheap knives as I realized the boning knife in the Costco set wasn't curved.

Spent $25 for two at Amazon.
  • #15 by pmillen on 16 May 2020
  • That's very kind of you, Ross.  I decided to make a new thread so that it can more easily be found in a search.
Pages:
Actions