Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoked Prime Rib, my way  (Read 2306 times)

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
Smoked Prime Rib, my way
« on: September 19, 2017, 05:12:30 PM »

This is how I do my prime rib.  This is a 3 bone Prime Rib, seared first and cooked at 200° (yep!) until 125° IT.  Rested ~20 mins and served.  I do not pre-smoke, I just cook straight through at 200°.  These come out so consistent now, that it'd be hard to mess one up...which is quite the contrast to others that I've cooked and...well...messed up pretty bad!

I start by pre-salting ~24 hours ahead of time.  I apply Morton's Kosher at the rate of 2.5g/lb.  I then wrap tightly in saran, and back in the fridge it goes.

When I'm ready to cook, I'll season with Montreal Steak seasoning about an hour or so ahead of time so the spices can rehydrate a bit.  I go easy, since I've already salted the meat.

If you wanna sear, ya gotta get the pan hot.  I keep the meat in the fridge until the moment I put it in the pan.  That way the coldness of the meat limits how much of the outer part of the meat gets cooked, while still forming a nice crust.  This is how I get a very even edge-to-edge cook on such a large cut.

Sear that sucker

Get all the sides

This was done on my JB.  Once it hits 125° IT, it's ready to pull.  This will coast up to a medium.  If your guests want it more done, do like the restaurants do and use your broiler to touch up the meat.  This way you'll easily be able to keep everyone happy.  The low cook temp will give a very even cook, so the end slices won't be overdone and the middle won't be too rare.

First slice, perfect medium

Yep, they all look good.  Note how consistent from slice to slice.

Arr nom nom...  Also note how much more red this has got since being sliced.  This is due to the air hitting the meat, and the hemoglobin is coloring back up.  When first sliced, you can see it's much more of the light pink that people traditionally associate with medium done meat.  This is why you can't always equate color with doneness.

This method works very, very well for me.  I know a lot of people like to do reverse sear, but I can't see any reason to change.  My goal is to get a very even cook from the middle of the eye to the rib cap.  There is a small area of the rib cap that is a touch more done, but it's not much.  Many other roasts I've seen have a completely brown rib cap, which is really a shame.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
Re: Smoked Prime Rib, my way
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 05:16:11 PM »

That is one nice looking plate
PZ

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:47:45 PM »

Beautiful cook and a great tutorial.  Thanks.

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 05:49:09 PM »

Looks great, even all the way through. :lick:
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 05:49:28 PM »

I am curious if I will be close with my numbers?  At 200°, you are laying on the smoke in my book..so I feel ya.  I am also  going to guess that the Roast is about 5-6lb.?  If it goes in cold 38-40° IT (only variable I don't know) I am gonna say 5 hours to get to that 125° IT?  Am I close?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:14:14 PM »

I am curious if I will be close with my numbers?  At 200°, you are laying on the smoke in my book..so I feel ya.  I am also  going to guess that the Roast is about 5-6lb.?  If it goes in cold 38-40° IT (only variable I don't know) I am gonna say 5 hours to get to that 125° IT?  Am I close?

I agree with you, 200° it will be laying down some smoke; I just wanted to be clear that I didn't do a 170° pre-smoke for a few hours (like I used to do!) as I've found that it doesn't really make that much difference on a cook like this.  I did this cook at the new year, so I don't remember a whole lot of specifics, but it was probably 6-7 lbs.  My fridge is set at 38° so it should have been pretty close to that.  I seared about 1 min/side.  I don't believe that it took 5 hours...I would say it took 3 at the most, and likely less.  I remember being somewhat surprised at how fast it cooked.

My original inspiration was from here: http://blog.thermoworks.com/2014/12/rib-roast/
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 06:25:21 PM »

Looks delish  :lick:
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 06:46:07 PM »

Well, at least I have not lost my touch with how much a roast weighs.  Yeah, a surprising amount of time for me!  I have lost my touch on time and temperature!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 07:49:51 PM »

Excellent job.  A non-traditional method that gets results.  I'm all for breaking from tradition.  Too many cooking rules and traditional methods are nonsense.  (The same is true, BTW, of many english grammar rules.)
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »

That is perfection on the plate, I don't know how you serve a cut of prime better than that it looks absolutely delicious!

lamrith

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 05:30:05 PM »

I am curious what flavor pellets you used for this?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »

Great looking cook, sleebus.jones.

Also note how much more red this has got since being sliced.  This is due to the air hitting the meat, and the hemoglobin is coloring back up.  When first sliced, you can see it's much more of the light pink that people traditionally associate with medium done meat.  This is why you can't always equate color with doneness.

I think you mean myoglobin.  Hemoglobin is blood—there's little left in slaughtered beef.  The liquid you see is water, carrying myoglobin protein.  The iron in myoglobin turns red when its exposed to air and it oxidizes.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up