Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beef Short Rib Experiment  (Read 484 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Beef Short Rib Experiment
« on: May 17, 2020, 12:47:21 PM »

While picking up some drugs for my wife's surgery at the local grocery/drug store, I saw that they had short ribs on sale so I picked up three of them, they were bone-in and quite large. My last attempt at short ribs consisted of season, smoke, sous vide and sear. They tasted OK but the fat did not fully render resulting in a less than desirable bite/texture. New plan takes a lot less time, season, smoke, sear and Insta Pot. I used this scenario for chuck roast and it turned out very good.  ???
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Beef Short Rib Experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 03:10:50 PM »

Is there an adequate amount of smoke flavor after searing and cooking them in an Insta Pot?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

hughver

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »

That's part of the experiment. I'm going to do a fairly severe sear in a cast iron pan to obtain the maximum amount of Maillard flavor and use 50/50 red wine/beef broth for the cooking fluid.  ::)
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 05:11:20 PM »

What a great looking cut of beef even raw.  One reason I like it in a blend for ground beef!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 05:55:51 PM »

I didn't advertise it at the time, but due to pilot error, this experiment was a total disaster. If first you don't succeed, try, try, try again. I visited Costco Business today and picked up this whole 14# boneless chuck short rib roast. I'm going to repeat the last process but try to eliminate the pilot error.  I'll probably divide it into three roast and do them one at at time, assessing the results of the first one before proceeding. ???
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 06:28:53 PM by hughver »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 06:31:21 PM »

So you were inverted and did not check the artificial horizon?  What happened to the beef too!

I didn't advertise it at the time, but due to pilot error, this experiment was a total disaster.

hughver

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 12:15:03 AM »

Well, things were going as planned up to the point where I forgot to close the pressure release valve on the Insta Pot. I set the timer for 20 minutes with the intent of letting the the timer shut it off and letting the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Since the valve was open, the the pressure never built up and the timer never started. Instead of cooking with pressure, the pot boiled until dry and you can imagine the rest.  :(

hughver

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 12:58:56 PM »

To tell the truth, I had no idea what I was buying, just Whole Boneless Chuck Short Ribs. Turns out there were 8 pieces, about 1 3/4# each. I trimmed off 2.4# of fat and seasoned with SPG. I'm going to smoke all of them at 160° to an IT 130-140°. I'll proceed with my Insta Pot plan with one for supper tonight and vacuum pack/freeze the rest for later. Anyone have a good idea for future short rib cooks?   ???
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:00:46 PM by hughver »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 02:28:34 PM »

R.I.P Good Beef!
Pages: [1]   Go Up