Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bark Brown on 18 May 2020
  • Hello,
    Started my pellet grill journey at few months ago.  Picked up a Traeger Texas elite 34. Not a bad grill but I found it wasn’t exactly what fits my grilling needs and it started shutting down every time I turned the grill to high. Luckily I purchased it from Costco and they took the return no problem. Picked up a GMG Davy Crockett because I go camping of often and it’s a great portable pellet grill. Now I’m looking for something a little bigger for family bbq’s. Not really set on price but it seems that the best controllers are on models over $1000. I have done some research online and visited a few stores in town. Right now I have five different manufacturers in mind.
    Twin Eagles - probably out of my price range but a solid grill. Anything with a lifetime warranty adds value
    Memphis - another well built grill with great options and controller but priced slightly under Twin eagles
    MAK  2 star general- Solid grill American made, all the features, and a price point that’s more in my range
    Yoder YS640S - yes, it does have paint issues but these grills are built like a tank and also have a solid controller
    Camp Chef woodwind - best price, great options, PID controller.
    Thoughts? I am fairly new to the smoker world, so I don’t know as much as many of you. But I want a grill that will last, has a high quality controller, direct heat options, easy pellet and ash removal to name a few.
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 18 May 2020
  • Welcome. Have you considered/eliminated FEC/Cookshack?
  • #3 by urnmor on 18 May 2020
  • I have had my MAC 2 Star going on six years and I really enjoy it.  They the best customer service around and are very very responsive when you have a question.  So IMO you can’t go wrong with a MAK
  • #4 by Canadian John on 18 May 2020

•  Firstly, WELCOME!

The answer you seek is one that is sought my many. It can only be achieved by using all grills for all kinds of cooking under all conditions and for a long time so as to establish durability and reliability.  The next

best thing is the process of elimination.  I see  that you have already  started.  There is no right or wrong..All pits have some sort of issues, from the most minor to the most bothersome.. What you are asking

us to tell you what kind of shoes you like, how comfortable they are etc... There could be a best pit in the world that may not appeal to you for one reason or another...

• #5 by Brushpopper on 18 May 2020
  • Welcome!!  Take a look at the Pitts & Spitts line of grills.  I am extremely happy with mine.  I had never heard of them until I saw it for sale on Craigslist.  The guy I got it from bought a bigger one and wanted this one out of the way, so he made me a great deal on it.  I PM'd Captainink about his and he gave me some insight on his before I pulled the trigger and bought it.  He said there is a Facebook group of P&S owners and several are Yoder converts if you use FB.  They are made in Houston and have a Roanoke controller that holds a very steady temp, unlike a Traeger.  They are heavy and hold heat great once they get up to temp, too.  If you are close to Houston I would suggest giving one a look.
  • #6 by Conumdrum on 18 May 2020
  • Really happy with my yODER 640 FOR GOING ON 7 YEARS NOW.  aLWAYS STARTS, NEVERS HAS AUGER PROBLEMS OF FIRES.
  • #7 by ofelles on 18 May 2020
  • Welcome and ditto on the Yoder YS640.  The new S models have a built in probe and Fireboard genes which wold be a real plus.  Solid performance for me with only some minor paint issues.  With the optional 2 piece diffuser and Grillgrates you can do a descent job of searing.
    Like said above all the makes you are looking at are good cookers and you would be happy with them
  • #8 by TravlinMan on 18 May 2020
  • Given your list - I can only speak of the Memphis, which was my last 'major purchase' grill.  It works well at low temp as well at excelling at high temperatures. Very well built and a top performer.

There are many other solid units that are in this class range you will hear about here and other places. There like isn't a one stop does all and everything.  From here out - its a personal choice.

Make your best decision based on what you want to do and run with it....

........................... :bbq:

• #9 by rdsbucks on 18 May 2020
  • I love my PG500. The only grill I really want is the PG1000. The lid creates more light and I like the shelf space. But the performance of the 500 is amazing. Especially the dedicated grill space...no levers to move, baffles to replace, or separate units to turn on. And it smokes as well as it grills. I have no other grill...the PG500 does it all.
  • #10 by okie smokie on 19 May 2020
  • Might also look at RecTec, either 590 or 700.  Good records, and price.  And they are mostly stainless steel. While no open flame, they perform well with Grill Grates added to give good searing ability.  Temps approaching 600* are possible. Might go to the RecTec section of PF and look at the comments.  Hard to argue with the PG 500 fans also, but a bit pricier. I am not a fan of doing paint touch ups so some of the others, while great pits, are not in my favor.   :2cents:
  • #11 by David on 20 May 2020
  • I have a Memphis that I just love.  It has always been rock solid for me.  I have no knowledge of the other cookers you mentioned 
  • #12 by glitchy on 20 May 2020
  • I've been happy with my Woodwind, it does have some nice features and is pretty impressive for the price. You won't sear a steak on it well unless you get the SearBox. However, I feel that way about most all pellet grills except Memphis, Weber, and Cookshack. I cook burgers and chops on the Woodwind all the time and it browns those plenty well, I just like a pretty strong sear on steak. The updated size with a taller cooking chamber of the slide n grill models (newer Woodwinds included) gives a lot more cooking space with more headroom and a full upper shelf compared to the other models before.

Your entire list is top notch smokers. Some are better 'grills' than others. I'm not sure you could go wrong with any of them, but can probably find one that better fits your goals. If low 'n slow is your primary goal, any of them will likely work very well. If you want a good sear, you might want to look at CookShack like already mentioned by Bentley. I've always drooled over the PG500, but didn't feel it would give me enough smoking space. It depends how much you plan to cook at once.
  • #13 by Bark Brown on 21 May 2020
  • Appreciate the advise and recommendations.  I hadn’t heard of the cookshack. PG1000 is now on the list. I love my steaks so the grills with better searing capabilities are high on my list. Also looked at the P&S grills. They look solid, I’m out in San Diego so Houston would be a good drive. I’ve been to a couple of bbq stores out here and most of the grills I have mentioned are available. Wish I could see a MAK in person. Sounds kind of cheesy but there’s something special about the feel of the grill when you lift the lid. Looking at pictures online does not do these grills justice.
Pages:
Actions