Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Which Pit Should I Choose?

MAK, Yoder, Memphis, Twin Eagles, Camp Chef

(1/3) > >>

Bark Brown:
Hello,
Started my pellet grill journey at few months ago.  Picked up a Traeger Texas elite 34. Not a bad grill but I found it wasn’t exactly what fits my grilling needs and it started shutting down every time I turned the grill to high. Luckily I purchased it from Costco and they took the return no problem. Picked up a GMG Davy Crockett because I go camping of often and it’s a great portable pellet grill. Now I’m looking for something a little bigger for family bbq’s. Not really set on price but it seems that the best controllers are on models over $1000. I have done some research online and visited a few stores in town. Right now I have five different manufacturers in mind.
Twin Eagles - probably out of my price range but a solid grill. Anything with a lifetime warranty adds value
Memphis - another well built grill with great options and controller but priced slightly under Twin eagles
MAK  2 star general- Solid grill American made, all the features, and a price point that’s more in my range
Yoder YS640S - yes, it does have paint issues but these grills are built like a tank and also have a solid controller
Camp Chef woodwind - best price, great options, PID controller.
Thoughts? I am fairly new to the smoker world, so I don’t know as much as many of you. But I want a grill that will last, has a high quality controller, direct heat options, easy pellet and ash removal to name a few.

Kristin Meredith:
Welcome. Have you considered/eliminated FEC/Cookshack?

urnmor:
I have had my MAC 2 Star going on six years and I really enjoy it.  They the best customer service around and are very very responsive when you have a question.  So IMO you can’t go wrong with a MAK

Canadian John:

Firstly, WELCOME!

The answer you seek is one that is sought my many. It can only be achieved by using all grills for all kinds of cooking under all conditions and for a long time so as to establish durability and reliability.  The next

best thing is the process of elimination.  I see  that you have already  started.  There is no right or wrong..All pits have some sort of issues, from the most minor to the most bothersome.. What you are asking

us to tell you what kind of shoes you like, how comfortable they are etc... There could be a best pit in the world that may not appeal to you for one reason or another...

Brushpopper:
Welcome!!  Take a look at the Pitts & Spitts line of grills.  I am extremely happy with mine.  I had never heard of them until I saw it for sale on Craigslist.  The guy I got it from bought a bigger one and wanted this one out of the way, so he made me a great deal on it.  I PM'd Captainink about his and he gave me some insight on his before I pulled the trigger and bought it.  He said there is a Facebook group of P&S owners and several are Yoder converts if you use FB.  They are made in Houston and have a Roanoke controller that holds a very steady temp, unlike a Traeger.  They are heavy and hold heat great once they get up to temp, too.  If you are close to Houston I would suggest giving one a look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View