Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone have a bayou classic or cajun fryer deep fryer?  (Read 4753 times)

heffneil

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Anyone have a bayou classic or cajun fryer deep fryer?
« on: May 23, 2020, 11:13:42 AM »

I have been using a dutch over on a side burner and it just isn't enough with all the xxxx my family like fried.  With the quarantine and us staying home I need something more substantial.  I like the idea of one of these units.  Looks like about $400 is how much it will cost me but I saw some that are 4 gallon and one that is 9 gallon.  9 GALLONS is the same price but it has to take about 2 hours to heat up I would think and do I really want to buy and deal with 9 gallons of oil?  4 seems like a lot!

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Neil

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Anyone have a bayou classic or cajun fryer deep fryer?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 12:03:20 PM »

I've had one in the past but I never even considered using it for deep frying. I primarily used it for boiling crab, shrimp and crayfish.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »

My mom won one in a raffle years ago and we've fried several turkeys in it over the years.  I ended up with it because my brother and sister didn't want it.  I think it's a Bayou Classic and looks like a four gallon aluminum pot but you can put any size on it depending how big what you're cooking is.  It's big enough to fry a 12 to 14 pounder give or take.  I always put the dried turkey in and pour in enough oil to cover it good then remove the turkey and hang it in a tree or let it set on newspapers while the oil heats.  If it has too much oil and overflows in the fire bad things happen.  Hence my method because I didn't want to be a Youtube video.  We fried lots of fish in it too in a smaller pot.  It doesn't take too terribly long to heat up.  Ambient temps and wind will affect how well it heats, so you'll need a wind break of some sort.  A piece of tin bent at a 45 to 90 degree angle works well.  Don't leave the oil in the pot all the time if you get one because it will corrode the aluminum.  Don't ask how I know.  :-[

I've had one in the past but I never even considered using it for deep frying. I primarily used it for boiling crab, shrimp and crayfish.

Works well for this too.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:12:52 PM by Brushpopper »
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

heffneil

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 07:50:17 PM »

Right I was looking for the real deep fryer.I looked on youtube and the one guy said it takes about 20 minutes to heat up the 9 gallon unit.  That seems fast for 9 gallons of oil! I might buy one.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 07:52:15 PM »

I know the fryer I used when we worked in the kitchen for bingo at the volunteer fire dept was about a 5 gallon.  It was what I would consider "commercial" grade.  It would take 2 full baskets.  I would think a 4 gallon fryer would be enough for home use.

I think it was on Pelletheads, not this site.  Some one posted about a fryer they were looking at or buying.  It was really an interesting design.  The heating element were not all the way to the bottom, so the food bits that passed through and to the bottom of the oil did not burn, which in turn was supposed to make the oil last much longer.  Great concept, cant for the life of me think of the Manufacture.

Edit:  I see the Cajun is the design I was thinking of!  Get the 4!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:58:19 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

heffneil

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 08:50:33 PM »

I go big or go home and I am STUCK at home so I bought the 9 gallon. I might think it was a mistake but I can make a lot of wings! A LOT OF WINGS

This is the video I watched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ61PDIma3g

he says at about 8:35 20 minutes.  It has 3 baskets.  Its a ton but maybe people will come over to my house again and I can make them food one day!

Neil

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 08:56:40 PM »

I have been wanting a Cajun Fryer from this company. They seem to make a few interesting products, pressure smoker, griddle, gas grill. More coin than the Bayou Classic stuff because it is US made.

https://cajunfryer.com/

heffneil

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 09:16:46 PM »

the 9 gallon was like $410 and the 4 gallon is like $390! but costs twice as much to fill! Obviously!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 10:04:03 PM »

This is the one I was talking about, the design intrigued me.  The extended oil life was interesting,  I finally read the title, Bayou or Cajun fryers!  OK, my vote would have been 4 gallon Cajun!

I have been wanting a Cajun Fryer from this company. They seem to make a few interesting products, pressure smoker, griddle, gas grill. More coin than the Bayou Classic stuff because it is US made.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:06:21 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 10:38:06 PM »

I watched the video up until he put ketchup on the burger.....then I shut him down.  Sacrilege.   :rotf:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 07:44:51 AM »

I have a Bayou Boiler 130,000 BTU natural gas fish cooker.  I use it mainly for frying fish, but I have been thinking about using it for reverse searing my steaks.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 09:38:35 AM »

The "super fryers" sure aren't anything like the plain-jane fryer I had.  Long life oil is new to me as my basic fryer recommended changing the oil after 3 cooking sessions.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 09:58:08 AM »

Now I want one of these and I have absolutely no need for it!
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »

Now I want one of these and I have absolutely no need for it!

You could start a french fry stand in your front yard to justify the cost. They are popular in Canada but not necessarily in ones yard.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:46:58 PM by Bentley »

heffneil

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 04:48:01 PM »

Im excited.  I wish I wasn't quarantining so I could get the restaurant depot and buy a bunch of stuff! For now I have to GFS it via shipt.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up