Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Daniel Boone Issue?  (Read 3395 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Daniel Boone Issue?
« on: May 23, 2020, 12:14:07 PM »

A few days ago I did a pizza on my DB which was done right after I cleaned it up including the temperature sensor.  An issue occurred when I started the cool down process.  Being I was cooking the pizza at 400 I first lowered the temperature to 300.  After 15 minutes it was still at 396 and still going instead of cooling down.  I then lowered the temperature to 250 and it started to cool down.  I was then able to do the rest of the cool down with no issues until today.  When I first turn it on and put the up button for the 1, 2, 3 steps it immediately show the smoker temperature which was 99 (it is very hot here).  It would never start up even after trying it several times including unplugging it.  I ended up getting my Traeger Junior out of my motorhome to do my cook.

Any ideas what is wrong now?  I recently changed out the combustion fan.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
Re: Daniel Boone Issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »

Did the heat shield move?  I accidently pushed mine too far to the left, (towards the heat sensor) and that totally messed everything up.  My temp went real high and the temp settings had no effect on it.  I shut down and recenterd the heat shield and all was well after that.
I do wish I could adjust that from the outside while the unit was running.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 01:13:28 PM »

You might be better off contacting GMG directly.

In the meantime; If the grill is in the shade and you turn it on, does the control read ambient temperature or close to it?

Does a food probe placed in the pit near or attached to the RTD, read the same or close to it  as the pit temperature - with the pit  operating?  If the food probe is close and the RTD (pit temp) is off, the

problem lies in the RTD circuit, most likely the RTD itself.   

I am interested in what your problem ends up being. It isn't COVID-BBQ.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 02:21:48 PM »

You might be better off contacting GMG directly.

In the meantime; If the grill is in the shade and you turn it on, does the control read ambient temperature or close to it?

Does a food probe placed in the pit near or attached to the RTD, read the same or close to it  as the pit temperature - with the pit  operating?  If the food probe is close and the RTD (pit temp) is off, the

problem lies in the RTD circuit, most likely the RTD itself.   

I am interested in what your problem ends up being. It isn't COVID-BBQ.

There is no such thing as shade with my smoker, but I can check it real early in the morning.  I will do this tomorrow to see what happens.  My temperature at 5 AM is 75+- degrees.  Once the sun comes out it gets hotter fast.  Being it is a holiday weekend I will work with it to see if I can get it working.  If it does not work I will contact GMG on Tuesday.  Until then I will do my holiday smoking on my Traeger.  It is a good thing to have two smokers.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 02:24:16 PM by reubenray »

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 02:29:02 PM »

Did the heat shield move?  I accidently pushed mine too far to the left, (towards the heat sensor) and that totally messed everything up.  My temp went real high and the temp settings had no effect on it.  I shut down and recenterd the heat shield and all was well after that.

Nothing has moved since I used it last.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 02:35:15 PM »

Have you checked the fuse?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 02:59:02 PM »

Due to warpage, I replaced the original heat shield on my DC several years ago with the one that is adjustable. To avoid having to disassemble for adjustment, I attached a 1/4" threaded rod to the end of the heat shield, drilled a hole in the side that lined up with the rod and inserted the rod into the hole when installing the shield, now the shield is adjustable from the outside.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 03:01:33 PM »

It's Saturday.  Maybe your local dealer is open and has seen this before.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 03:22:44 PM »

It's Saturday.  Maybe your local dealer is open and has seen this before.

The closest dealer is a hundred miles away.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 03:49:40 PM »

I adjusted mine in the app to cold once the day before for a Thanksgiving turkey breast cook.  It was supposed to be 37 degrees that morning and that's cold for here.  Fired it up and it went through the normal process and smoked a tiny bit with the lid open.  I noticed the auger kept running and running and no more smoke, so I shut it down and unplugged it.  Took it apart and I had the bottom full of pellets so I cleaned it out and set it back to normal in the app.  Never did that again and never had the same problem.  I guess in the app cold means Canadian John cold and not South Texas cold.  Any chance of that happening accidentally or do you even have the wifi controller?
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 05:01:23 PM »

I adjusted mine in the app to cold once the day before for a Thanksgiving turkey breast cook.  It was supposed to be 37 degrees that morning and that's cold for here.  Fired it up and it went through the normal process and smoked a tiny bit with the lid open.  I noticed the auger kept running and running and no more smoke, so I shut it down and unplugged it.  Took it apart and I had the bottom full of pellets so I cleaned it out and set it back to normal in the app.  Never did that again and never had the same problem.  I guess in the app cold means Canadian John cold and not South Texas cold.  Any chance of that happening accidentally or do you even have the wifi controller?

I do not have the wifi controller?  I will take it apart tomorrow morning to check out the firepot to see if pellets were being dropped.  Being it was not making any noise at all I suspect it was not.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 06:11:13 PM »

My guess is fuse, GFI, or Controller.  I wouldn't wait until Tuesday to reach out to GMG via phone and email.  They may be responsive to help you out.  Some manufacturers work off the clock 24/7 because they know how important that is to their business especially over a long holiday weekend.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 06:16:20 PM »

My guess is fuse, GFI, or Controller.  I wouldn't wait until Tuesday to reach out to GMG via phone and email.  They may be responsive to help you out.  Some manufacturers work off the clock 24/7 because they know how important that is to their business especially over a long holiday weekend.

I have power to the controller - it is showing a temperature.  It actually went from 99 to 100 while I was waiting to see if it would start up. 

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 07:37:55 PM »

Do you hear the fan blowing when you start it up?

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 07:42:40 PM »

Do you hear the fan blowing when you start it up?

I did email GMG and they sent me a youtube video to watch and how to troubleshoot it.  I will do this tomorrow morning.

I replaced the combustion fan last year.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up