Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 24 May 2020
    Does anyone know of a source for this probe holder?

I like it better than this style.

This is my temporary solution.  I'm hoping that the probe's temperature-sensing portion is the tip, like the probe for internal temperature.

I'm thinking that the wood block isn't too much of a heat sink after it warms to the pit's temperature.
  • #2 by Bentley on 24 May 2020
  • Not what you are looking for, but maybe a start!

Mueller Clips
  • #3 by hughver on 24 May 2020
  • #4 by pmillen on 24 May 2020
  • https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-magnetic-hook-set-98502.html

I like the magnet idea.  So you straighten the hook and attach the clip?
  • #5 by Bentley on 24 May 2020
  • Larry was the 1st one I saw do this about 10 years ago...I think he got it from Bill at Texas BBQ Forum.  Nice thing about em is you can stick em on sides, roof, all over...although, your 500 is 304 SS?  I guess they wont stick to that!

I just bent the hook the shape I wanted and soldered the alligator clip to it!

• #6 by hughver on 24 May 2020
  • When I bought them they looked like this (I bought several spare packages). I straightened some of them and left some pointing down and then soldered on the alligator clip. The base is threaded so another threaded shaft might work. And yes, I got the idea off of PH site.
  • #7 by pmillen on 24 May 2020
  • Larry was the 1st one I saw do this about 10 years ago...I think he got it from Bill at Texas BBQ Forum.  Nice thing about em is you can stick em on sides, roof, all over...although, your 500 is 304 SS?  I guess they wont stick to that!

Yes, I think it's 304 (it could be 316) but both 304 and 316 are magnetic.

EDIT:  I may have that backwards.  304 & 316 may be non-magnetic.  Now I've confused myself.  Anyway, magnets stick nicely to my PG500.

SECOND EDIT:  I dug out an old textbook.  Magnetic SSs are 409, 410, 420, 430, 439 & 440.
Pages:
Actions