Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wifi Control Board?  (Read 1566 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Wifi Control Board?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »

I would request that GMG update it to the latest firmware before they send it to you.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 11:30:09 AM »

Or if you really want better wifi throughout your house get a mesh wifi system.  I have a Google one and put one in my garage.  I now can stream things on the TV or play music through it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 12:26:40 PM »

I did a recent firmware upgrade when I was having wifi issues with my controller. I was also having issues measuring food temperatures. I went through a couple of controllers and probes under warranty. It has been working fine. Customer support has been very good. Sometimes there are bugs to be worked out. The key is how a company stands behind their product when there are issues.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 12:37:34 PM »

Customer support has been very good. Sometimes there are bugs to be worked out. The key is how a company stands behind their product when there are issues.

Does this ever make you feel like their Beta Tester?

I was a Product Manager for a Fortune 500 company.  We acquired a new VP who wanted to shorten product development time.  He'd demand, "Get it into the marketplace and start earning on it.  Fix it later."  I was paid on product profitability so any calls to Customer Service were charged as an expense item against my products' profits.  I took another assignment.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 01:34:10 PM »

I did a recent firmware upgrade when I was having wifi issues with my controller. I was also having issues measuring food temperatures. I went through a couple of controllers and probes under warranty. It has been working fine. Customer support has been very good. Sometimes there are bugs to be worked out. The key is how a company stands behind their product when there are issues.

Being my meat probe xxxxxxx out years ago I can now find out if it was the probe or the control panel.  I have an Inkbird setup and use it's probes which I keep up with on my phone.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 01:54:32 PM »

I never trusted the GMG meat probe because it was always off from two other thermometers.  The one on my P&S is spot on.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 11:01:03 PM »

Simple solution, use as normal - ignore the 'wifi' feature

If you wish to test out the wifi features and app - here is a way to test it out..

You can connect directly via wifi..

The GMG controller will be in its initial mode and will be its own wifi spot.

Download the app to a phone or tablet (android or IOS),

Plug in your grill, may need to power up, but do not start your grill

Open your phone or tablet settings, select wifi, look for 'GMG_????' Connect to it - password will be included with controller

open the app on your phone or tablet, select connect in the upper left corner of the app.

Explore and enjoy....

you are connected.  Note: if you use your phone - you will not have internet connectivity while directly connected to the grill, but the app will function correctly.

Note - if more explanation is needed to help clear this up a little more - maybe someone else can join in and help explain it a little better..
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 07:35:59 AM »

Thanks for the detailed info.  I may use wifi at some point, but for the initial priming of my firepot and hopefully starting the smoker I will not.  Being I have taken it apart so many times doing the troubleshooting I hope I have it put back together correctly.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2020, 11:51:15 AM »

I played around with this a little yesterday, before it started to rain.  I have firmware version 6.8.  I was able to connect point to point, but I was not able to connect to the wifi.  I did move my wifi extender closer and I was able to see my wifi on my phone out by the smoker, but it would not connect.

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 03:06:21 PM »

I had my controller replaced under warranty and it was replaced with a wifi unit.  I tried to use its features, but found I preferred to just go out and turn the grill up and down.  It is part of the fun I think.  I just used it as a normal controller and told my phone to forget the wifi it sent out.  I got annoyed when it was connected to the grill and I wanted to look something up and could not figure out why my phone would not connect to the internet.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 03:09:40 PM »

I had my controller replaced under warranty and it was replaced with a wifi unit.  I tried to use its features, but found I preferred to just go out and turn the grill up and down.  It is part of the fun I think.  I just used it as a normal controller and told my phone to forget the wifi it sent out.  I got annoyed when it was connected to the grill and I wanted to look something up and could not figure out why my phone would not connect to the internet.

I agree - some of our best times has been sitting out under the umbrella drinking a cold one (or more) while the smoker is doing its job.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2020, 07:04:57 AM »

I have known for years my DB runs hot and I have adjusted my temperatures for this.  My Traeger Junior is adjustable, is this wifi controller adjustable? 

Also is there a reason why my temperature on the display is a few degrees higher than my setting.  Just curious!

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »

You can adjust it hotter or cooler with the app.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2020, 09:39:32 AM »

[quote author=reubenray link=topic=5206.msg59537#msg59537 date=1591527897

Also is there a reason why my temperature on the display is a few degrees higher than my setting.  Just curious!
[/quote]

I noticed issue this spring on my Davey Crockett.. Just wait and it will settle in.  Remember, the GMG controllers will display by default the current temp it is seeing at the probe.  By the nature of a controlled pellet fired grill, the temperature will constantly fluctuate around the set point.

There is a setting in the app to change the display to only show the set temp instead of the default of actual..  my preference is to show the ‘actual temp’.

Happy grilling...
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up