Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by sethwt on 01 Jun 2020
  • I just got a pit boss vertical 5 smoker. I did the burn in. I used it yesterday for the first time. For about three first 5 hours it worked great. Then it started to get the erh code. I watched it and it filled with smoke and then it started to roar and the flames were coming or if the heat shield. I had the water pan in it and filled with water and the top was open all the way. The heat shield was in the correct direction. Anybody know what went wine and how to fix it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• #2 by reubenray on 01 Jun 2020
  • This is exactly what happened to the one I had.
  • #3 by sethwt on 01 Jun 2020
  • What did you do? Get rid of it?

• #4 by reubenray on 01 Jun 2020

I sold it for the wild temperatures and the fact that if it rains while you are smoking the water runs straight into the pellet hopper.  After I had to tear it apart to clean out the hardened wet pellets I got rid of it.  Being they are still being sold I assumed they fixed the wild temperature issue.  But apparently they did not.
  • #5 by bgbdwlf1500 on 13 Jun 2020

I sold it for the wild temperatures and the fact that if it rains while you are smoking the water runs straight into the pellet hopper.  After I had to tear it apart to clean out the hardened wet pellets I got rid of it.  Being they are still being sold I assumed they fixed the wild temperature issue.  But apparently they did not.
    Mine works great, not sure where some.went wrong.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jun 2020
  • In all fairness, the smoker works great unless you leave it outside.  The pellet shoot design is horrible and susceptible to moisture which may lead to expanding pellets and auger jam. If it wasn't for what I assess to be a design flaw, it would be a very good pellet grill for it's vertical style.  And, while I think there are some benefits to certain types of cooks using a vertical pit, there are several instances where it may not be what the cooker is performing at its best.
  • #7 by bgbdwlf1500 on 13 Jun 2020
  • In all fairness, the smoker works great unless you leave it outside.  The pellet shoot design is horrible and susceptible to moisture which may lead to expanding pellets and auger jam. If it wasn't for what I assess to be a design flaw, it would be a very good pellet grill for it's vertical style.  And, while I think there are some benefits to certain types of cooks using a vertical pit, there are several instances where it may not be what the cooker is performing at its best.
    Makes sense, mine never has been left outside

• #8 by bgbdwlf1500 on 14 Jun 2020
    Makes sense, mine never has been left outside

Maybe I'm wrong, but based on your other thread, I think these are two different cookers.  The one with the moisture/water in the pellet hopper issue is the PB vertical, while yours is the more "traditional" barrel type.
    I have both now, just saying I didnt have trouble with the vertical pit boss and the grill worked great yesterday too. Just dont see how they catch such a bad wrap, but being left outside and having issues makes sense because mine has always been in the garage.

• #9 by BigDave83 on 14 Jun 2020
  • Mine CH7 is in the garage also. I did notice that the back of the pellet hopper at the bottom does not seal well. mine was down and I was looking in and you could see daylight through several spots across the bottom. The seam is above the pellet dump. If I were leaving mne outside or using it in the rain I would be using some RTV to seal that up.

Mine does its own thing. I have had times when it ran great with no issues for 6 hours, other times 3 or 4 hours in, it just runs wild with the temps 120+ in either direction, I have had it almost go out I got the door open and gave it air it kept going but was around 130 and dropping.

I am putting a pellet pro controller in mine. I bought one for some reason off the old forum and forgot about it. I sent it to Pellet pro they updated it and returned.

Pages:
Actions