Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Sep 2017
  • I saw a reference in one of the intro threads about hoping our international members post some cooks and recipes from their countries. I hope they will!! I also saw the thread talking about churasso (sp) cooks. It got me to thinking about the issue of bbq in other countries and what form it takes.

This may be really stereotypical, but there is the Polynesian pit roasted pig.  And the big sides of beef on a slanted poles next to open pits of hot coals that I have seen pictures of on Argentinian ranches. Maybe this is just all tourist stuff, but do different countries have different bbq cultures? 

I would especially love to hear from folks outside the US or service members who have served outside the US or even just folks who have traveled extensively.  I didn't pay that much attention to bbq when I traveled outside the country back in the day. The most I can remember is being in towns crossing the Taklamakan desert in western China and the Night Markets all had stands with little pots of burning coals grilling skewers of chicken.
  • #2 by Bentley on 20 Sep 2017
  • Might be stereotypical, but it does not fit my definition of BBQ...No wood.  It is cooked using hot rocks, chicken wire, burlap, banana leaves, and dirt...

This may be really stereotypical, but there is the Polynesian pit roasted pig.
  • #3 by Free Mr. Tony on 20 Sep 2017
  • Based on some things both you and Bentley have said, I'm guessing listening to podcasts aren't exactly in your wheelhouse. If you can/do, listen to milk street radio. It's Christopher Kimball's podcast who is the bowtie guy from cooks illustrated. His podcast centers around alot of what you are asking. Food/bbq cultures in general.

https://play.google.com/music/m/Dcqbz6obt7ys4gmwjrrlje6ytey?t=126_BBQ_Adventure_Heat_and_Meat_in_Gugulethu_Cape_Town_-_Christopher_Kimball_s_Milk_Street_Radio

Not sure if that link will work for you, but a BBQ story starts about  1 minute 20 seconds in. Pretty interesting. The actual story is probably 10 minutes or less.
  • #4 by Trooper on 20 Sep 2017
  • Bent
    Krist
    FMT
    Do any of you have NETFLIX? If so I will hook you up with something interesting?

Search NETFLIX for series entitled COOKED.
    Great viewing

http://michaelpollan.com/videos/netflix-documentary-series-cooked/
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Sep 2017
  • We country folks are on metered accounts for broadband stuff -- and we only pay about 3 times what I use to pay in LA or Vegas for unlimited access.  So there is all sorts of things, including Netflix, that we can't access (unless we were willing to pay several hundreds of dollars each month).
  • #6 by Queball on 21 Sep 2017
  • I get Netflix on my computer. Do those type of costs apply when you do that?

Also, international barbecue. ..... How about Korean short ribs on charcoal fired hibachi.
    • Queball
  • #7 by Kristin Meredith on 21 Sep 2017
  • Yes, the computer munches up all of it.  Most months we stay within bounds, but a few times over and we get hit with a surcharge.  Trade offs for peace and space!

Korean short ribs.  I sound ignorant but will ask.  Are they truly Korean in origin or Korean in America?
  • #8 by Queball on 21 Sep 2017
  • I believe the preparation is Korean, but can't validate that.
    • Queball
  • #9 by riverrat49 on 21 Sep 2017
  • Here is a little something about Korean BBQ:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_barbecue
  • #10 by riverrat49 on 21 Sep 2017
  • Short Ribs refereed to as Galbi or i've seen it as "Kalbi" originated in Korea with references as far back as Joseon era (1392–1897)

Tteok-galbi (떡갈비), literally translated to "cake ribs" as tteok (떡) means "rice (or other grain) cake" and galbi (갈비) means "rib". The name comes from the food's similarity in appearance to tteok.[2] The process of kneading and shaping the meat is similar to the process of making a rice cake.[3] The final dish is also soft and tender, much like a rice cake in texture.

The word tteok-galbi has a relatively short history, that starts late 1960s to early 1970s.[4] Before that, the dish was called hyo-galbi (효갈비) meaning "filial piety ribs" or no-galbi (노갈비) meaning "elder ribs" as it was often a dish for older people who had weak teeth to bite off the meat from the rib bones.[4] Both hyo-galbi and no-galbi were used since Joseon era (1392–1897).[4]

Korean short ribs.  I sound ignorant but will ask.  Are they truly Korean in origin or Korean in America?
  • #11 by ZCZ on 21 Sep 2017
  • Memphis has been selling grills in Germany now for a while and it seems BBQing is really catching on over there.

Here is a sample article I found:

http://www.dw.com/en/an-american-redefines-bbq-in-berlin/a-16929633

Z
  • #12 by Chris__M on 21 Sep 2017
  • The typical view of British BBQ is burnt sausages, overcooked burgers and pink chicken.  :-[

Don't get me wrong, I think we excel at a lot of things culinary, but - by and large - BBQ isn't really part of the British cuisine.

Which is why almost all my BBQ is based on American techniques and recipes, or interpretations of such.

However, I am still rather proud of my bacon wrapped fatty, stuffed with a black pudding. Can't get more British than that.
  • #13 by Queball on 21 Sep 2017
  • Need to post a recipe Chris with some assembly pictures so we can watch the magic happen. ..... Do you scratch make the black pudding or is that something that's available premade? ..... Black Pudding .... Hmmmm
    • Queball
  • #14 by Kristin Meredith on 21 Sep 2017
  • Chris, is your black pudding a blood pudding?
  • #15 by Bentley on 21 Sep 2017
  • What a silly question...

Chris, is your black pudding a blood pudding?
Pages:
Actions