Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Would Be Examples of International BBQ?  (Read 1820 times)

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
Re: What Would Be Examples of International BBQ?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »

Black pudding is a blood sausage, yes. A breakfast staple in the UK, but not everybody loves it.

The ones I use are commercial. You can get good ones in supermarkets, and for the fatty, that is what I would use, for it uniformity of shape. If I am serving black pudding as part of a breakfast, I will normally get it from my local butcher, which is the town shop outlet of a pig farm that is local to me.

It's been a while since I made one, but here are some pictures. Just a long cylindrical black pudding, wrapped in sausage meat, wrapped in bacon. Very simple, but a crowd-pleaser amongst my friends. Leftovers are nice sliced and fried, for a sandwich.

Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 01:12:52 PM »

I am going to assume pigs blood? Does it have that metallic liver flavor, or are they able to mask it?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Queball

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 01:16:38 PM »

Very nice Chris. ..... A Polish blood sausage called kishka looks very similar. It comes in a heavy casing that you don't eat. If frying, you slice it then remove the casing when serving. Or, just take it out of the casing and fry it loose. Does that sausage have barley in it or some type of grain? It really does look like kishka. Haven't had any in 40 years.

Thanks for the info and the "shots"!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:27:57 PM by Queball »

Queball

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »

Chris,

Just noticed this
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
That really isn't a full bacon weave. How do you keep the bacon on the meat while cooking? Once it starts to cook and shrink doesn't it all come undone?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:29:10 PM by Queball »

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 01:31:17 PM »

Thanks Chris.  That is exactly as I remember it when I had it for the first and only time at a B&B in Stratford-on-Avon.  I was only a teenager, but I don't think I would probably take to it anymore now than I did then.

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »

I am going to assume pigs blood? Does it have that metallic liver flavor, or are they able to mask it?

Pigs blood, yes. A good (by my definition  ;D ) black pudding is usually quite highly spiced - cloves, allspice and pepper mainly. I'm not aware of a metallic taste, but perhaps people who don't like it taste that, while I don't.

Less common in England, but seen in Ireland and Scotland, I think, is white pudding. This contains the same ingredients as black pudding - pork, fat, oatmeal, spices - but not the blood.  I like both.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 01:44:33 PM »

That really isn't a full bacon weave. How do you keep the bacon on the meat while cooking? Once it starts to cook and shrink doesn't it all come undone?

Carefully :D

That one I was still learning with. I seem to remember it frayed a bit at the ends, but the main body was absolutely fine. That's when I discovered the importance of the weave.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up