Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any help with Tuna steaks?  (Read 493 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Any help with Tuna steaks?
« on: June 05, 2020, 11:06:10 AM »

I want to try tuna steaks tonight, I like them, but the GF has never  had them. She is really not a fish person unless it is breaded haddock or cod or fish sticks. I found a pack that had 2 nice looking 5oz steaks in it and I asked her if she would eat them. So i need to figure out a way to do them that she would like them, I doubt that is possible but that is my mission.

For me in the past I am simple in cooking. olive oil, salt and pepper and grill on the gas or charcoal grill or pan sear in a hot skillet.

I tried the search but didn't have much luck looking for tuna steaks. It picked out everything with Steaks in it and even Unfortunate as tuna is with in it.

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: Any help with Tuna steaks?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 11:42:22 AM »

I have never cooked one, but the ones I have had prepared for me appeared to be hot and fast with a rare middle and served with wasabi.  Yum!  Makes my mouth water thinking about it.  Good luck!

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »

I have never cooked one, but the ones I have had prepared for me appeared to be hot and fast with a rare middle and served with wasabi.  Yum!  Makes my mouth water thinking about it.  Good luck!

Yep, I liked them seared on the outside and rare on the inside. But probably not what BigDave's GF is looking for.

Just do a search for 'grilled tuna' and you'll find lots of options.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 03:20:02 PM »

Grill it, cool it and make a tuna salad!  Can be made into a sandwich or salad! 
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 03:26:26 PM »

Seared Ahi (yellow fin tuna, not all tuna is the same) is sort of like rare steak, once you get past the rare appearance, it's pronominal. There is absolutely no fishy flavor, if you didn't see it, you could never tall it was fish at all. If your GF has an open mind, blindfold her and feed her several foods while mixing  in some seared Ahi, I'll bet she will become a fan. When I got out of the service in 1959, my day used this technique on me with steak, I've never looked back. Here is my method of preparing.

Sesame Seed Seared Ahi

Follow this recipe. You'll get a great dish :)
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 2 tablespoons sesame oil
* 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
* 4 (6 ounce) tuna steaks
* 1/2 cup sesame seeds ( ½  White and ½ Black if available)
* wasabi paste
* 1 tablespoon olive oil

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, mirin, honey and sesame oil. Divide into two equal parts. Stir the rice vinegar into one part and set aside as a dipping sauce.
2. Spread the sesame seeds out on a plate. Coat the tuna steaks with the remaining soy sauce mixture, then press into the sesame seeds to coat.
3. Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Place steaks in the pan, and sear for about 30 seconds on each side. Serve with the dipping sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi paste.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 03:39:34 PM »

Seared Ahi (yellow fin tuna, not all tuna is the same) is sort of like rare steak, once you get past the rare appearance, it's pronominal. There is absolutely no fishy flavor, if you didn't see it, you could never tall it was fish at all. If your GF has an open mind, blindfold her and feed her several foods while mixing  in some seared Ahi, I'll bet she will become a fan. When I got out of the service in 1959, my day used this technique on me with steak, I've never looked back. Here is my method of preparing.

Sesame Seed Seared Ahi

Follow this recipe. You'll get a great dish :)
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 2 tablespoons sesame oil
* 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
* 4 (6 ounce) tuna steaks
* 1/2 cup sesame seeds ( ½  White and ½ Black if available)
* wasabi paste
* 1 tablespoon olive oil

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, mirin, honey and sesame oil. Divide into two equal parts. Stir the rice vinegar into one part and set aside as a dipping sauce.
2. Spread the sesame seeds out on a plate. Coat the tuna steaks with the remaining soy sauce mixture, then press into the sesame seeds to coat.
3. Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Place steaks in the pan, and sear for about 30 seconds on each side. Serve with the dipping sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi paste.

Thank you for the recipe, I know I don't have near half of the items in it. But I will pick them up as it sounds very good and if nothing else try it for myself. The Wasabi is out I know she would not like it.

The first time I picked up some tuna steaks at the store and made them, I thought there is no way this is the same fish as the xxxx in the cans. What a difference.

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 06:38:23 PM »

Let us know how they turn out.  The method hughver mentions is almost exactly how I prepare mine.  Seared on the outside and rare inside.  Great dish.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 07:08:56 PM »

Let us know how they turn out.  The method hughver mentions is almost exactly how I prepare mine.  Seared on the outside and rare inside.  Great dish.

Rare is an under statement, seared Ahi is normally served warm or cold as an appetizer. The sesame seeds provide an insulation so that the fish does not over cook during the searing process. For a long time Costco was selling almost shichimi grade Ahi for $9.95/lb., now it's $15-$17/lb., they fly it in fresh every couple of days.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 07:26:37 PM »

I cook them to 145 internal temperature on a griddle. If I keep it to 145 then they are moist and flavorful. This is why I like the ThermaPen. We don't like rare fish.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 07:28:02 PM »

Well, I took them out and olive oil salt and pepper, a bit of butter and olive oil in the cast iron put them in little over a minute I flipped them and then turned the heat off. the one was a little thinner so i gave her that one. She was dreading this all day she said. I told her it would be a different color in the middle and it would have a nice more tender texture to it. Her first bite she just looked at me as she chewed it up. She said i don't know, it doesn't taste like tuna. I said taste like chicken, she said kind of, not a lot of taste to it. She did say as she got to the less cooked center that she would like it cooked more the next time. So I can start hers first then put mine on, it is great to have another thing that I can make that is healthy and she will at. I will try a variation on the recipe above and probably grill on the gas grill or if I have time charcoal.

Next up will be shrimp.

Even though she liked the tuna she looked at me at the end and said we are not going to be having his every week, Right?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 09:01:04 PM »

I am a no bait eating person either.  I had a feeling she was gonna react the way she did.  I realize most will think it is a waste to fully cook a tuna steak, and to use it for a salad or sandwich.  But a lot of people call me crazy for grinding a Prime rib-eye and turning it into a cheeseburger...Good is Good!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 09:01:26 PM »

Even though she liked the tuna she looked at me at the end and said we are not going to be having his every week, Right?

Fresh tuna steaks every week -- tell her no, she probably is not that lucky!!!! :pig:

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 11:18:11 PM »

Fresh tuna steaks every week -- tell her no, she probably is not that lucky!!!! :pig:

Well not sure how fresh they are, I live in the sticks in PA not many Tuna in the waters around me.

I must say though that even she laughs at some of the things she eats now compared to when we first got together. Back the it was chicken breast, pork chops burgers and hot dogs. No ribs, chuck roast or steaks. She always said she won't eat cabbage, I made spaghetti one night using cabbage instead of the pasta and she asked for it again, I will fry bacon and use coleslaw mix on the griddle for fried cabbage and she now eats it. She has tried and liked quite a few new things to her and a few that are not so great to her.

well time for bed, apparently the area is to be having protests tomorrow, and said there are buses of people coming from Philly and such, no doubt be getting up and loading a few extra magazines just in case.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, luckily I will have another shot with tuna steaks for her.
Pages: [1]   Go Up