Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Kristin Meredith on 06 Jun 2022
  • 78 years ago today.  Always remember, always honor their courage and sacrifice.c
  • #17 by Bentley on 06 Jun 2022
  • Been think about how I have seen nothing about this in ANY of the "main stream" media.  I wonder if a 10 year old in 1875, when 1927 rolled around was saying, why does no one remember July 3, 1863 or April 9, 1865?
  • #18 by okie smokie on 07 Jun 2022
  • Been think about how I have seen nothing about this in ANY of the "main stream" media.  I wonder if a 10 year old in 1875, when 1927 rolled around was saying, why does no one remember July 3, 1863 or April 9, 1865?

Even our president made no comment until around 8PM. But not really surprising.
    I watched the uncut films on the History Channel, and was amazed at the guts it took to take Omaha Beach. Thought about my 17y/o cousin who lied about his age to enlist and ended up trapped at Bastogne. He was then 19, and had been promoted to Lieutenant. (they called them 90 day wonders) He was liberated from Bastogne by George Patton. His hero for life thereafter.
    My father was "4F" but a skilled mechanic. So he volunteered to set up training centers to teach GI's how to care for and repair vehicles.  He wore a Warrant Officers uniform and was saluted as an officer. For a while our family lived in military camps in Texas. Those were the most formative years of my life, and this country was "all in", on the war effort. That is why I always remember D Day.  I also remember Dec. 7, 1941. I was 5 y/o and remember listening to FDR give his
    Day in Infamy!" speech on the family radio. I was too young to understand, but everything soon changed.
  • #19 by Bentley on 07 Jun 2022
  • If you can believe the guys from Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the Army's 101st Airborne Division they did not need Patton to "save" them.

He was liberated from Bastone by George Patton.
  • #20 by okie smokie on 08 Jun 2022
  • If you can believe the guys from Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the Army's 101st Airborne Division they did not need Patton to "save" them.

He was liberated from Bastone by George Patton.
    The siege only lasted 7 days, and McAuliffe was a real cocky character,  (a lot like Patton).  Maybe Patton did not "save" them but he sure scared the Germans into retreating.
  • #21 by hughver on 08 Jun 2022
  • The media may have forgot but the residents of our adult community did not. Almost every house has an American flag flying in the front yard, and quite a few also fly a service flag. They have been up since Memorial Day and go back up for every appropriate day such as Veterans Day, 4th of July, etc.
  • #22 by okie smokie on 08 Jun 2022
  • Who will remember after we are all gone?
  • #23 by JoeGrilling on 08 Jun 2022
  • It is amazing how much WWII history seems to be forgotten by most.  The other major battle of WWII whose 80th anniversary was this week is Midway.  Midway turned the tide of the war in the pacific.  Japan wanted the US to stay out of the war.  The plan for Pearl Harbor and later Midway was to knock out the US carriers and leave the west coast of the US exposed.   With all of our carriers destroyed, Japan felt they could get the US to agree to stay out of the war.  It didn't happen because of Midway.

Hollywood has done a descent job in the last 25 years portraying what WWII was really like.  My oldest daughter was in high school when "Saving Private Ryan" came out.  The movie awakened memories the grandfathers of some her classmates wished were forgotten forever.  They stormed the beach at Normandy.  The recent "Midway" movie was done really well in terms of being historically accurate.  I encourage all of my kids to watch both movies though it seems like ancient history to them.       
Pages:
Actions