Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 08 Jun 2020
  • 1. How long to get temps up to 500?
    2. "High" temp? How much time to get there?
    3. Does the temp go up on a good curve or are there plateaus where it stays the same before continuing to go up?
    Over all the grill has performed well for me but takes a long time to get to 500*, when desired for grilling and seems to plateau at several points before getting there. Good news is that with GrillGrates in place, they get to much higher surface temps than the RTD temp shows.
    Exp: When RTD registers 500* so does the temp in the center grates without GrillGrates.(plus or minus a few*)  With GG's in place they measure 580* +- with Infra Red gun.
    Meanwhile I am curious if my experience is also yours? ???

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Jun 2020
  • How long does it take for you to get to 500°?  I think my Memphis would probably take 30 minutes.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 08 Jun 2020
  • No 590, I had a 680, I could set it at 500 and an hour later be just over 400. We tried parts and different things and never did get it figured out I put a 2rpm auger motor on it and it helped but still not to 500 in and hour. I bought it because they told me it could and would grill well.
     At the time others had the same grill and they said 20 to 30 minutes to 500.
  • #4 by sbryant24 on 08 Jun 2020
  • I've been grilling on mine for the last couple of weeks. I turn it on the FULL setting and its over 500 in 30 minutes, usually runs up to about 535-540.  I use my Grillgrates on it so once its been on for awhile at that temp I usually back it down to 450 and grill.
  • #5 by okie smokie on 09 Jun 2020
  • How long does it take for you to get to 500°?  I think my Memphis would probably take 30 minutes.
    40 to 45 minutes.  Seems too long, but it is the plateaus that seem strange to me.  Makes me think that the control is to blame? Perhaps a 2 RPM auger would help. The current one I am told is 1.6 rpm.  I am not complaining about over all performance, since I eventually get there, and the GrillGrates, get hotter and sear well.  Perhaps the whole thing is due to no double wall insulation in their products.  ??
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Jun 2020
    40 to 45 minutes.  Seems too long, but it is the plateaus that seem strange to me.  Makes me think that the control is to blame?

Could it possibly be a safety feature to slow or stop a grease fire outbreak?
  • #7 by Canadian John on 09 Jun 2020
  •  
     The how long to get temps to 500 and high temp questions are highly dependent on the ambient temperature and to a lesser degree, wind.

Not a 590; This my Memphis Pro @ 83º ambient. Almost no wind and in the shade. Times are minutes/seconds after start-up:

8 Min=216º; 9Min=301º; 10Min/21Sec=400º; 12Min/21Sec=500º; 14Min/40Sec=575º; 17Min/26Sec=650º.

Compared to my Traeger, this is a race horse. The Pro will always get to 650º no matter what the ambient. Just takes longer in the cold. The Traeger didn't like cold, taking much longer to climb after 325º in

the cooler Fall temps. Never tried using it in the Winter.

• #8 by BigDave83 on 09 Jun 2020
    40 to 45 minutes.  Seems too long, but it is the plateaus that seem strange to me.  Makes me think that the control is to blame? Perhaps a 2 RPM auger would help. The current one I am told is 1.6 rpm.  I am not complaining about over all performance, since I eventually get there, and the GrillGrates, get hotter and sear well.  Perhaps the whole thing is due to no double wall insulation in their products.  ??

There is probably a parameter in the controller that will allow it to heat faster longer auger cycle/feed rate. I know when I out the 2.0 in mine I had to lower feed rate to keep it below 200. I had a 680 it had the Roanoake controller in it. I bought my 2.0 auger motor from Pellet Pro. My understanding is that with the new controller and app you can adjust through it.
  • #9 by sbryant24 on 11 Jun 2020
  • Just fired it up to grill some chicken breast. Clean fire pot, clear sunny day 81 degrees with calm winds. 24 minutes to 500
  • #10 by okie smokie on 11 Jun 2020
  • Just fired it up to grill some chicken breast. Clean fire pot, clear sunny day 81 degrees with calm winds. 24 minutes to 500
    That is amazing time. Guru at RT thought it ok for 40 minutes to 500*.  Should not be plateaus on the way up IMO.  Will do more sleuthing.....
  • #11 by okie smokie on 19 Jun 2020
  • Well I finally followed advice of RT guru.  Started up with control set to "Full" (supposed to go as high as 600). It went up steadily and reached 495 in about 24 minutes. I adjusted the control to 500* and it was there in another minute and stayed there.. Have duplicated that twice now in 90 degree weather.  Must be a different algorithm when set on "Full". 
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 19 Jun 2020
  • I would think when set to full it runs the auger continuously.

• #13 by okie smokie on 20 Jun 2020
  • I would think when set to full it runs the auger continuously.
    Could be. But now I know how to get to a desired high temp faster.    :cool:  Thanks for the input.
Pages:
Actions