Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Poll

Is Rust on your Pit a Problem or a Concern?

Somewhat
- 9 (23.7%)
Very
- 5 (13.2%)
Don't Care- any way shape or form
- 6 (15.8%)
Don't Care- as long as it's structially sound
- 18 (47.4%)
Do Care- no time to deal with it
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: July 25, 2020, 09:32:24 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RUST  (Read 485 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
RUST
« on: June 10, 2020, 09:32:24 AM »

Rust  manifests itself in many ways. Surface, Deep, Crusty, Ugly. All detracting from the beauty of the metal and the psychological aspect, of knowing it is not going to get better.

Hidden rust - always a  surprise.  Just what you didn't to expect when the pit is opened up for a complete deep clean or found in an out of the way location. The list continues.

With the advent of stainless steel, @ a cost of about 2X that of mild steel, a lot of the rust and related problems have subsided.

Rust has always bothered me for many reasons. It led me to a major decision factor in purchasing my almost 100% stainless pit, that I have enjoyed for over 3 years now. What a good feeling.

Simply curious as to your opinions on rust?

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: RUST
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »

I replied somewhat.  My 10 year old Traeger that I use only a handful of times a year, I'd say I'm very concerned, I doubt I've got another 10 years with that pit, interior is rusting and needs  cleaning before each use or I'd have rust on the food.   My 2 year old Gator, I had one paint chip that began to rust, I painted over it and no worries.  My heat shield has a little rust, but I'd say that's normal wear and tear in the Pacific Northwet where I keep my pits outside 100% of the time.

Is it bothersome?  I suppose so, but if and when my pits fail, it just gives me an opportunity to buy a new one  :)

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 10:11:15 AM »

I couldn't vote "NO".  My pellet pit is stainless steel.  It hasn't shown rust in 8 years.  But if it does, I'd care.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »

I live in a dry area. None of my BBQ's have suffered from rust, even after decades. So rust is lower on my priority list when choosing a product.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 02:49:58 PM »

Rust is always a concern. The more rust the more concern. None of my five pits have any rust, therefore no concern.  ???
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »

The Memphis Pro does not rust, the GMG, Country Smoker and Traegers, never bothered me.  If they got to bad and I had time, I painted them.  And in 2 years they were back to the same.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 05:16:06 PM »

I voted somewhat.  I was tied between somewhat and don't care as long as structure is sound.  My 4 year RT has not shown signs of any rust yet, but I do see some paint starting to peel from the lower barrel.  Pretty sure I will see some rust there at some point.  My lid is porcelain so that should not rust. 

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 05:43:36 PM »

I couldn't vote "NO".  My pellet pit is stainless steel.  It hasn't shown rust in 8 years.  But if it does, I'd care.

+1
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 06:12:46 PM »

After 3 1/2 years, no rust issues on the Blazin Grid Iron.
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 11:00:55 PM »

Did not vote as my answer is no!.  When I had the Blaz'n it was a  minor problem, but easily resolved with sand paper, steel wool and rustoleum heat resistant paint.  Now with RecTec, it is a non-problem. I guess the lid, hopper and lower support and legs could eventually rust, but so far nada.
Pages: [1]   Go Up