Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hammer on 11 Jun 2020
  • Ok, well after a few snafus with my bank thinking my order was fraud, I finally ordered my grill from BBQ Island with the front shelf.
    They had one there that just came in, so it got picked up fast and sent out!
    I come home yesterday to see a beautiful wrapped up grill set on a stout wood crate/pallet.
    I couldn't find the key for the pellet cleanout door.

It was late, so I didn't put the shelves on the outside, but I got it all setup and fired up.

First, I am impressed on how fast it gets to temp! I let it sit at 400 for a little while to see how stable it was. It was over a little, but didn't fluctuate much. So I am happy there.
    Then I kicked it up to 600 degrees to finish burning it out.
    I did notice that the top of the right door bowed out some with the heat pumping out from this sucker! Not surprised with how hot it got, and how fast.
    I let it cool down and through some burgers on for a quick dinner.
    It was SO NICE to taste the char on the burgers from a pellet grill! My wife is super happy now.

Tonight will be some nice thick pork chops.
  • #2 by triplebq on 11 Jun 2020
  •  :cool: :cool: :bbq:
  • #3 by Canadian John on 11 Jun 2020

•  That's some good looking pit and a super cooker. Nice to be able to achieve temps like that..A big change from the Traeger... Are you going to contact the manufacturer about the door fit?
  • #4 by Hammer on 11 Jun 2020
  • Not sure on the door, that picture was taken when the grill temp read 600 degrees.
    Or do these doors normally stay flat, even at very high temps?
    I would like a key for the pellet door though.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Jun 2020
  • I don't see any harm in sending the manufacturer a pick and let them make the decision on whether the door should do that or not.  I suspect that it shouldn't and maybe others who have that type of grill will be able to share their experience.
  • #6 by Hammer on 11 Jun 2020
  • I sent cookshack a quick message to see what they say.
    It appears to have returned to normal when it cooled down, but I haven't ran it since then.
  • #7 by pmillen on 11 Jun 2020
  • I've not seen my door(s) warp.  But, then, too, I don't think I've had it that high.  Maybe.

Some PG500 owners have lowered their front shelf to mitigate the interference from the doors.  I think that it required drilling a new bolt hole on each side.

Does your PG500 have the angle bracing around the doors' perimeters?

EDIT:  BTW, welcome to PF.

EDIT 2:  Hammer?  Is this Dave Schultz?
  • #8 by Hammer on 11 Jun 2020
  • I did see that the shelf could be lowered a bolt hole. I had planned on doing it that way.
    My doors have the angle bracing on the inside of each door.

Thanks. I miss the history on PH, but PF is a pretty good site so far!

And no, my Name is Ed McCammon.
  • #9 by pmillen on 12 Jun 2020
  • Dave "The Hammer" Schultz still holds the National Hockey League record for most single season penalty minutes—472.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Jun 2020
  • Dave "The Hammer" Schultz still holds the National Hockey League record for most single season penalty minutes—472.

I had him autograph his 45rpm record, "Penalty Box", a few years ago when he was signing things at the Lehigh Valley Phantoms AHL hockey game.  I spoke to him a few months prior to that at Flyers Alumni game and meet and greet in Reading, PA. He said he was embarrassed by that record.  Here is the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTKcw7M1_SI
  • #11 by pmillen on 12 Jun 2020
  • :)

I wasn't sure how many people would recognize his name and the genesis of my question.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Jun 2020
  • :)

I wasn't sure how many people would recognize his name and the genesis of my question.

I was very young when they won their first Stanley Cup, but have been a suffering fan almost every since that first and then the second.  Been a long time coming for another we have been waiting on for too long.
  • #13 by MMike on 02 Jul 2020
  • Any update on the warped door?
    How's everything going with it?
  • #14 by Hammer on 10 Jul 2020
  • I figured it out.
    The left hand door, there is an extra section of metal that acts like a seal between the doors.
    This lip is supposed to fit in the front opening of the grill to block it off.
    Mine sits just a little too tall. So the doors have heat escaping from the top on both sides of this lip.
    The extra heat temporarly warped the doors because it escaped right at the corner and I was running it HOT.

I need to file down the top of that lip just a little bit, maybe a 1/16" or so. And it will fit fine.

Btw, I LOVE this grill!
    I guess these new ones auto adjust the HHT as needed. But you still need change the settings for smoking. I don't have a problem with this, but I have keep explaining it to my wife for smoking.
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Jul 2020
  • Your wife cooks on your pellet grill/smoker?  Mine has no interest.
Pages:
Actions