Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jun 2020
  • So, I bought a used Blazin smoker a few years back and cleaned it up pretty good.  Then, I let it sit outside the last year or so.  Opened it up yesterday to think about using it for some wings and it has mold growing in it on the racks and the walls.  I know I can clean up the racks with the power washer.  Any thoughts on how to clean up the interior walls?
  • #2 by just4fn on 13 Jun 2020
  • Put it on high and let er rip for about an hour.
  • #3 by Bentley on 13 Jun 2020
  • I would also just burn it off.  If you are worried about flaking, and you can see the areas.  A quick hit with circular wire brush on drill afterwards.
  • #4 by pmillen on 13 Jun 2020
  • Those of us with ceramic kamados have been told to monitor for mold.  If found, we are to burn it at 600°F or so to remove it.

So, I'm with the people who suggest a high temperature burn and get back to cookin'.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 13 Jun 2020

•  Burn, burn and burn. I am in that camp..  If the grates are bad, brush + wipe after burning the nasties off.
  • #6 by Osborn Cox on 13 Jun 2020
  • I have had mold inside my Traeger at the summer cottage a few times when opening the place back up after the winter, I always just do the turn it on high for a pan hour or so and then give it a good brushing.
  • #7 by MysticRhythms on 13 Jun 2020
  • It depends on how much you like the smoker.
    If you have desires for a new one you might be bale to convince the wife that it isn't safe to clean to mold out.
  • #8 by Canadian John on 13 Jun 2020
    If you have desires for a new one you might be bale to convince the wife that it isn't safe to clean to mold out.
    This is in the wrong section!  SB in the how to buy a new smoker section.

• #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jun 2020

Well, considering I already have 5 pellet grills with some of them being what I would consider the best available; I don't have a need to replace this one. It will be clean it up with as little effort as possible, or send it to the curb.
  • #10 by BigDave83 on 13 Jun 2020
  • Mine get that way also at times. I mix up some white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray it and turn it on to 350ish and let it go, I may hit it with another spray or so while it is running.

If you are sending it to the curb give me your address. I wish I had known about Blazin before I bought my rec tec a few years back.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jun 2020
  • Mine get that way also at times. I mix up some white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray it and turn it on to 350ish and let it go, I may hit it with another spray or so while it is running.

If you are sending it to the curb give me your address. I wish I had known about Blazin before I bought my rec tec a few years back.

Hmmm...we are less than 5 hours apart from each other.
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 14 Jun 2020

Hmmm...we are less than 5 hours apart from each other.

looks like maybe 4 hours. I am down by Johnstown.
  • #13 by 1MoreFord on 15 Jun 2020
  • To get rid of mold you can also spray it down with bleach and then burn off the remnants.

Then either run the pit real hot or use a weed burner.
Pages:
Actions