Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Still like the Yoder  (Read 1085 times)

pmillen

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bird scent on the breeze
Re: Still like the Yoder
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 02:51:24 PM »

Gee, gtsum2, in five months you went from loving the Yoder to selling it.  Was it the rust?
Paul                                                                                CookShack Fast Eddy PG500

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Desiderata

pmillen

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 02:59:21 PM »

Welcome to the Club.  I was obsessed with it in Dec of 2009, right before I started the 1st of many Performance Tests.  I had been a Traeger owner for 6 years, had won 2 BBQ Competition Grand Championships with them, did not even know what a temperature swing was.  Then I found out about temperature probes...Then my Traeger's had Wild Swings and there was Anarchy...even though the reality was they were the exact same pits I won those 2 GC on!

20 Performance Tests later on 17 different Manufactured Units and countless cooked meats and I can tell you your statement is spot on!

And as experienced Fans of Pellet cooking, we need the newcomer to understand this!

When I first got it I had probes stuffed all over it for every cook, Meat probes you name it I thought I had to micro manage every cook. After using it for about 6 months I knew what temp setting did what and what kind of meat for how long. Now I  just turn it on, put on the meat and let it go.

I agree, Bentley, but I practically start a riot when I write that temperature swings, within reason, aren't very important.  And it's doubtful that we'll influence an opinion change.  If pit owners do change their minds, it'll happen slowly.
Paul                                                                                CookShack Fast Eddy PG500

Desiderata

gtsum2

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »

Gee, gtsum2, in five months you went from loving the Yoder to selling it.  Was it the rust?

Lol...I still like it and it converted me to pellet cooking for sure!  The rust is bothering me, and having to use grill grates to sear like I want it to (which works great... but Iím convinced the rust is from searing and then of course I melted a grill grate yesterday:().

Also, it doesnít seem to like cooking in the cold weather...this winter has been colder than normal and it takes awhile to get to temp and then to stay at temp...I considered getting the cover for it but never did.

I generally buy and sell grills somewhat often..my primo oval xl was the longest I had a grill by far (8 years). I just couldnít resist the bling of the Memphis anymore:). In fact, dude just called me back and said for another $800 he would do the elite and throw in the upper racks....think Iím going with the elite:)

Ps - is that a gsp in your avatar???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640

Bar-B-Lew

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »

Get the upper racks if you go for the Elite.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Weber Spirit, Camp Chef Flat Top Grill 600

gtsum2

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 03:57:18 PM »

Get the upper racks if you go for the Elite.

Done!  They through them in with the Elite deal :clap:
Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640

pmillen

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 04:47:38 PM »

Ps - is that a gsp in your avatar???

No, Willa is a Weimaraner.  She's not the AKC color.  She's classified as a Blue Weimaraner but she's more of a dark charcoal color.  Some are as blue as jeans.

In Germany, where Weimaraners were closely held by the Grerman Weimaraner Club for about 100 years, only the deer colored dogs were allowed to survive.  The blue dogs were destroyed.  There's usually one or more in every litter.  U.S. breeders don't follow that practice.  Nevertheless, the AKC standard still calls for the grey.

I've owned five Weimaraners.  Willa is the only one that's the non-standard color.  I've drawn some conclusions, based on that small sample.
  • The blue dogs have more coarse hair
  • They shed more (rather important for indoor dogs)
  • They are quirkier (strange little traits)
  • They are less focused on pleasing me (a little more difficult to train)
  • They are more independent (not as much pack behavior)
Like German engineers, German breeders aren't stupid.  They selected the grey dogs as the desirable ones.  I think they had some valid reasons.

Desiderata

gtsum2

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 05:09:35 PM »

I wasnít aware of the differences. Interesting. The Grey Ghost...beautiful dogs!

I grew up in Nebraska and every weekend in the fall and winter we were bird hunting...I had Brittanyís and GSPís..I miss chasing birds with good friends and good dogs.

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640

Conumdrum

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 05:36:57 PM »

I still like my Yoder :cool:

Did a cook Sat night, very windy and a bit cooler, maybe 47 for the low in the AM.  Cooked 6 pork butts.  I ran out of freezer portions, time for more.  Had about 58 lbs of Boston butts.  From 9.6 to 10.5 lbs.  I trimmed, cut hatch marks in the fat and rubbed with my Mad Hunky Rub.  Been using it for a few years, good stuff.  I cover my Yoder with a Harbor Freight welding blanket and a moving blanket to retain heat.  Had to use some stuff to hold it down due to the 25mph wind that night.

Started prepping at 8 PM, fired up the smoker at 9 for 350f.  By 9:30 butts were on and I set the temp at 250 for the cook.  At 3:30 am I got up, rotated the butts from hot to cool spots, then wrapped them in butcher paper.  Got back up at 7 am, drank some coffee and checked temps and rotated the butts a bit more.  They came off at about 10-11 am, all nice and probe tender.  I did add pellets at 3:30 AM and filled the hopper.  I probably used 17 lbs of pellets or so.  I really don't keep count. 

PICS

My coverered Yoder in the AM.

Rubbed butts ready to go

Butts at 3:30 AM

Butts wrapped by 4 AM, and I went back to bed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:45:50 PM by Conumdrum »
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker
Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper
Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever
Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

gtsum2

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 05:42:12 PM »

Those look righteous!  Iíve been wondering about those mad hunky rubs...good stuff??

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640

Conumdrum

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 05:49:27 PM »

Yep, I'm happy.  I use a lot of Mad Hunky stuff.  His "just add beef" is great.  I pretty much use his stuff, even the pizza shake.  Great on a store bought Digorous pizza.  Add a bit more smoked moz and pepperoni and Pizza Shake, great!

Goosehunter51

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 05:53:23 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Just love those bird dogs.

It will be nice to see your thoughts on the Memphis compared to your experience on the Yoder. 
Smokin like a two stack MAK come on!

MAK 2 Star General #3053

gtsum2

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 06:25:01 PM »

Yep, I'm happy.  I use a lot of Mad Hunky stuff.  His "just add beef" is great.  I pretty much use his stuff, even the pizza shake.  Great on a store bought Digorous pizza.  Add a bit more smoked moz and pepperoni and Pizza Shake, great!

Iím gonna order some up give em a whirl

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640

gtsum2

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 06:25:55 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Just love those bird dogs.

It will be nice to see your thoughts on the Memphis compared to your experience on the Yoder.

Nice pic! 

Iíll start a thread with thoughts when I get him

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640

pmillen

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 12:26:16 AM »

You were using an auxiliary smoke generator.  Doesn't the Yoder make enough smoke for your taste?

It appears that you've ducted the chimney.  Has that created any problems?

Desiderata

Conumdrum

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 10:07:58 AM »

You were using an auxiliary smoke generator.  Doesn't the Yoder make enough smoke for your taste?

It appears that you've ducted the chimney.  Has that created any problems?

Yes, the pellet pooper makes enough smoke.  I have some older cherry/apple pure pellets I thought I'd give a try.  Was only ohh an hour of those at the beginning of the cook.  I use Lumberjack MHC blend for pork/chicken in 20/40 lb bags, it's what I can get here.

The ducting began years ago when the wife unit noticed a nice brown patina on the underside of our patio cover.  >:( I've been using that same tube for over 3.5 years now with no issues ever.  I remove after use, it's held with a lg hose clamp. a zip tie and a nail I hang it on.  If you get one make sure it's firm, not the cheaper floppy one.  The bottom part is just put over the chimney, plenty of open area around the edges. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up