Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Smoke Pro XXL  (Read 8955 times)

Rolngthun

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: New Smoke Pro XXL
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 07:44:10 AM »

I noticed Cabelas has a knockoff of this made by Masterbuilt, but there aren't any reviews on that one either, nor can I find it on Masterbuilts site at all.

Just so you know, I picked up the Masterbuilt one last Friday and have been using it. I love it. If you have any questions, ask away. I think Masterbuilt has a winner with this one (especially for the price).

That peaked my interest. Watching the videos, first thing I noticed was sucking out the pellets with a shop vac. Camp Chef has me spoiled I guess.

Just David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 07:55:41 AM »

Post some pics of the unit.  If it is like the Camp Chef, I would like to see the interior shelves and drip pan/burner area too.

I can do that. I am out of town today but might be able to post some tonight. You can see a small picture with the door open on Academy's website. The version they sell has a window while the Sportsman Elite version of it that Cabela's sells does not. There are also some videos on Masterbuilt's youtube page which show the interior. Look up the video "Priming the Auger on the Sportsman Elite XL Pellet Smoker" to see drip tray, heat shield, etc.

To me it just feels like a vertical smoker version of a pellet grill, which is something I have been on the lookout for. This weekend I have 100 pounds of turkey and 50 pounds of ham to smoke in it and I am looking forward to it.
Masterbuilt XL pellet smoker, Traeger tailgater

Just David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 07:59:03 AM »

That peaked my interest. Watching the videos, first thing I noticed was sucking out the pellets with a shop vac. Camp Chef has me spoiled I guess.

Yeah, Camp Chef and their ash cleanout system spoils me. I have having to take out drip tray and everything else to clean out ash. That is a definite plus of the XXL over the Masterbuilt.

Rolngthun

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 08:17:13 AM »

Going off a reply from Masterbuilt on a question asked at the Cabala's web site. It also appears the Camp Chef has a wider range of temps as well. The controller on the Masterbuilt has added features using a timer. Plus it is available. Where the Camp Chef does not appear to be at the moment.
 I think the pellet dump door, ash clean out system, and the wider range of temps are enough to wait for.
 Oh and 3 year warranty VS 1 year. 

Just David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 08:37:43 AM »

I think the pellet dump door, ash clean out system, and the wider range of temps are enough to wait for.

Yeah, the Camp Chef goes from 150-350 (I think). The Masterbuilt does 180-350. One other difference is in the racks. The Masterbuilt has 6 regular racks while the Camp Chef has 4 regular, 3 jerky, and 1 rack with hooks for sausages. 

Rolngthun

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 08:50:28 AM »

Yeah, the Camp Chef goes from 150-350 (I think). The Masterbuilt does 180-350. One other difference is in the racks. The Masterbuilt has 6 regular racks while the Camp Chef has 4 regular, 3 jerky, and 1 rack with hooks for sausages.

That temp range you describe is better than the one I read. It said 300 for max temp. So that makes the temps less of a factor.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »

Post some pics of the unit.  If it is like the Camp Chef, I would like to see the interior shelves and drip pan/burner area too.

I can do that. I am out of town today but might be able to post some tonight. You can see a small picture with the door open on Academy's website. The version they sell has a window while the Sportsman Elite version of it that Cabela's sells does not. There are also some videos on Masterbuilt's youtube page which show the interior. Look up the video "Priming the Auger on the Sportsman Elite XL Pellet Smoker" to see drip tray, heat shield, etc.

To me it just feels like a vertical smoker version of a pellet grill, which is something I have been on the lookout for. This weekend I have 100 pounds of turkey and 50 pounds of ham to smoke in it and I am looking forward to it.

How did this unit handle your big cook?  Any pros or cons about the unit that you care to share?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 10:16:05 PM »

Just got an email today that they started selling this again after some modifications.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 02:08:22 PM »

Old topic I know, but though I'd post my comments/experiences for anyone thinking of getting one.
This is not intended to be a performance evaluation, just my experience.

I had been with out a grill for some time, and this was on sale, so got it to get smoking again.
Intent was for it to eventually be secondary smoker, primarily for smoking cheese, making jerky, and for side dishes that need a different temp than whatever happened to cooking in primary smoker.

Only used it twice so far, Pork shoulder both times.

Pros:
Lots of Rack Space, Sausage hanging rack. Additional racks can be purchased to fill all rack space.
The ability to empty ashes from burn pot by pulling lever is a nice feature.
Ability to empty Pellet Hopper

Cons:
1) Smoke leaks out all around the doors, but as far as I know, that's typical of most single wall smokers.
    Liquid smoke drips down front.
2) Leaks from various places. All grease does not end up in bucket.
    Recommend getting an automotive oil drip pan, or a rubber mat if you prefer.
    I got a Flo Tool drip 25 x 36 tray. A perfect fit.
    You can order online or get from an auto parts store.
    Not packaged well for online order, came bent in several places. Auto Parts store would be better.
3) Temp swings high. Comparing to my remote thermometer, temp is about 25 degrees higher than the set temp.
    Was evident on the two pork shoulders I cooked. Will set 25 degrees lower next time.

They do sell a blanket for it, which may not be a bad investment.
Welding blanket is a cheaper option, but not sure how they compare.

It is a good unit, the thinks listed above are some things I though might help someone considering buying it.

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 03:42:02 PM »

Do they still sell this?  They don't list it with the rest of their pellet grills.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 04:04:41 PM »

Do they still sell this?  They don't list it with the rest of their pellet grills.
I looked for them a little bit ago and while I could find them, they all showed sold out?

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 09:49:32 PM »

They redid it I believe and put out a second version of it last year I think. Not sure what was changed.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 10:58:20 AM »

I bought mine from BBQGuys at end of March.
They show Out of Stock now.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up