Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by yorkdude on 11 May 2018
  • Pros:

Pleasantly surprised with the weight & mass of the griddle top (truly thought it would be lighter gauge and flimsier).
    There were no sharp edges, no problems with the grease tray, light enough to be moved around easily, cleans easily and relatively stable temps across the griddle surface, albeit too high at this point.
    There is ample room for 6 burgers and both halves of the buns (not at the same time), a pound of bacon, a tube of sausage or a full pepper and onion and a few sliced potatoes on it's surface and starts smelling like breakfast.
    The above item quantities don't crowd it at all.
    The sides and back of the griddle are sufficiently tall enough to keep the goodies corralled but not too high that you have to stand on your tip-toes to get down the sides and to the griddle surface.
    I truly wasn't expecting a whole lot for $66.00, we were pleasantly surprised and as you will see below Blackstone is responsive and I feel did a great job in customer service.

Cons:

Runs too hot on low, in excess of 400 degrees and over 550 degrees on high.
    I have spoken with Blackstone and asked them what the norms are, I was told that 325-350 degrees on low and over 500 degrees on high.  I can live with that and asked them to send me a regulator, the one gal I spoke with does not seem to think it will help but is sending one anyway.
    The second gal I spoke with said that seemed like a logical place to start and if that does not remedy it, to request a new gas valve, which I will do.  I should have it this week and will report back either way, pleased with how they handled this and how they are willing to help further if this is not it.

Impressions:

I used my infrared temp gun to test the temps, they were as above and do vary in different areas of the griddle as you would expect but not a huge disparity, it seasoned very easily and it is surprisingly non-stick. We have cooked several different things on it.  Burgers, sausage, bacon, grilled onions, peppers, mushrooms, pineapple, eggs, pancakes and have used it to crisp biscuits we have cooked on the pellet grill once sliced in half, we love them like this fir Biscuits and Gravy.
    It is well thought out, simple and straightforward and should handily do what it is designed to do once we have a handle on the temps.

Would I recommend this:

Yep, I sure would.
    It really is a pretty neat little unit and I think a lot of things can be done on this and when I get this resolved I am going to buy a few more, I had initially had them on order but canceled the other 2 as I was having trouble with this one and did not want to deal with 3 of them at this point.
    I honestly feel you can't go wrong with this if you have a need or desire for something like this, going to make a good addition to the Davey Crocket at the lake for the early AM breakfasts as well as for toasting buns, grilling onions, etc. for all our burger and dog cooks.

I will post pictures of some of the cooks very soon, I wanted to get this posted.

(Edit was just to highlight certain words)
  • #2 by Bentley on 11 May 2018
  • Thank you for the review. 

Could this be hooked up to a 5gal tank, and if so, do you think that might make a difference with temperatures? I am really not sure why I ask that questions as I assume gas is gas?

I had no idea these things could run off the same bottles that my Coleman Camp Stove or Water heater could use!
  • #3 by Th3Batman86 on 11 May 2018
  • Great review, thank you for this. I picked one of these up on the last Home Depot sale for $49. It is still sitting in the box in my garage. Seems like maybe I should put it together and check the temps.
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 11 May 2018
  • I have had mine since last summer, and we have done breakfasts, burgers, sausage, pancakes, hot dogs, fajitas. I never even thought to check temps.

Like you I like that it is not bulky and easy to bo tossed in the back of the van when going to visit people and may need or want another cooking apparatus.
  • #5 by yorkdude on 11 May 2018
  • Great review, thank you for this. I picked one of these up on the last Home Depot sale for $49. It is still sitting in the box in my garage. Seems like maybe I should put it together and check the temps.
    Fire it up, they are pretty neat
  • #6 by reubenray on 11 May 2018
  • I bought this a few months ago to take with us on trips in our motorhome.  It works great for breakfast, but I think I will do my burgers on a grill instead.  There is a hose that allows this to connect to a 20 pound tank that I have got.  It goes through the one pound bottles pretty fast.
  • #7 by yorkdude on 12 May 2018
  • Thank you for the review. 

Could this be hooked up to a 5gal tank, and if so, do you think that might make a difference with temperatures? I am really not sure why I ask that questions as I assume gas is gas?

I had no idea these things could run off the same bottles that my Coleman Camp Stove or Water heater could use!
    You bet, thanks for the opportunity, now you got me intrigued with this "water heater" , never seen nor heard of them.
  • #8 by Bentley on 12 May 2018
  • Coleman Hot Water on demand...kind of like Food Saver...worked very well for about 2 years and broke.  On 3rd one since 2008 and it broke about the 2015 American Royal.  There is no service for them, if they are not under warranty they offer you about 30% off a new one (that is their answer to them breaking) and I just gave up on them like I did Food Saver!

My advice, stay far away!
  • #9 by okie smokie on 12 May 2018
  • I have a griddle 11" x 20" I use in my Blazn  GS.  It is ceramic coated and will take temps to 450.  Beats having extra equipment.  Like the burgers that come off it.  However, it is small but there are just two of us most of the time.
  • #10 by Bentley on 12 May 2018
  • Lets us know if the regulator helps...I do not even know what a regulator does!  Is it anything like Scuba?
  • #11 by yorkdude on 12 May 2018
  • Lets us know if the regulator helps...I do not even know what a regulator does!  Is it anything like Scuba?
    Kind of like that, if memory serves me it stands for " self contained under water breathing device ", bless her heart she didn't know I don't have gills. Just kidding but here's what I think is the logical starting point. 1st pic is the regulator and then spun the griddle to show the gas valve although it is behind the shield.
  • #12 by Bentley on 12 May 2018
  • Very good on the scuba, just semantics!     :pig:

OK, so it already has the Regulator and it still will not go below 400° on low?  Oh well, nice thing about you all taking the time to do theses reviews....

We all get to go into the purchase with...Eyes Wide Open!

Kind of like that, if memory serves me it stands for " self contained under water breathing device apparatus"... 1st pic is the regulator and then spun the griddle to show the gas valve although it is behind the shield.
  • #13 by MysticRhythms on 10 Feb 2019
  • Yorkdude,
    Did you ever get the low temps low enough for your liking?
Pages:
Actions