Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by LowSlowJoe on 22 Sep 2017
  • Bentley,

From my own attempts to performance test grills that I have owned, I know that temperature probe placement can dramatically effect the readings recorded.  Can you speak directly about how you go about choosing your probe placement when you do your tests? and would you consider giving measurements that show how far from the front/back/sides the probes are located when your tests are conducted?
  • #2 by Bentley on 22 Sep 2017
  • I always tried to cover the sweet spot of the grill, that was usually 4 inches in from the 4 corners.  It is also difficult to show a units Performance when the unit is designed to have "something" in it.  Air and heat do different things when they meet obstructions.  It was suggested once that we use a pan of water for a load, but Larry was a trained engineer at the beginning of his career, so it was decided to do it the way we do now.  One of the reason we cooked too, is to show that usually a 15-20° difference has no bearing on a cook.
  • #3 by Queball on 22 Sep 2017
  • I think what you have done has fairly represented the situation on the grills you've tested in the past. And it is done consistently. .... I mean this could get out of hand, and is there really a need for it? Your biscuit test was good enough for me, and as stated, a 15-20 degree difference has no bearing on a typical cook. But, capacity and capability I think are more important to most people.
    • Queball
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Sep 2017
  • I think what you have done has fairly represented the situation on the grills you've tested in the past. And it is done consistently. .... I mean this could get out of hand, and is there really a need for it? Your biscuit test was good enough for me, and as stated, a 15-20 degree difference has no bearing on a typical cook. But, capacity and capability I think are more important to most people.

Before I knew much about cooking on a pellet grill, I used to think that 15-20 degree swing difference in temps was a big deal.  But, I was only looking at the controller temp too, and did not have a grill grate temp being measured.  In fact, the consistency on performance tests of other grills led me to buy 2 of them.

I'm not saying it is right, wrong, or indifferent.  I guess I am saying that depending upon one's length of experience using a pellet grill to recognize it doesn't matter, it could be perceived there is a benefit to consistent temps or a negative for swings in temps or a benefit to swings in temps because it is perceived it creates more smokes.
  • #5 by Queball on 22 Sep 2017
  • Bar-B Lew,

My point was that testing a cooker IS a lot of work for Bentley. And, respectfully to the poster, when I see

"Can you speak directly about how you go about choosing your probe placement when you do your tests? and would you consider giving measurements that show how far from the front/back/sides the probes are located when your tests are conducted?"

I think the request is way off base and time consuming. The exercise isn't about "How would you conduct a test of a pellet grill." .... it's about testing the grill itself, and that includes more than the temperatures 1" from the corners of the unit. The biscuit test should answer a lot about how even it cooks. People are more interested in things like capacity, durability and features in an effort to make an evaluation and a buying decision. .... And I believe that is why the manufacturer supplied the unit to be tested. .... But then again, maybe that's just me.
    • Queball
  • #6 by LowSlowJoe on 22 Sep 2017
  • Bar-B Lew,

My point was that testing a cooker IS a lot of work for Bentley. And, respectfully to the poster, when I see

"Can you speak directly about how you go about choosing your probe placement when you do your tests? and would you consider giving measurements that show how far from the front/back/sides the probes are located when your tests are conducted?"

I think the request is way off base and time consuming. The exercise isn't about "How would you conduct a test of a pellet grill." .... it's about testing the grill itself, and that includes more than the temperatures 1" from the corners of the unit. The biscuit test should answer a lot about how even it cooks. People are more interested in things like capacity, durability and features in an effort to make an evaluation and a buying decision. .... And I believe that is why the manufacturer supplied the unit to be tested. .... But then again, maybe that's just me.

Queball, perhaps, you misunderstand my questioning...   What I was trying to ask, is there a method to choosing the distance... Like does it vary depending on the size of the cooking surface, ( some percentage of the total grate surface , or always a fixed number ).   All I want is clarification, and I don't think this is a unreasonable question.   I thought one of the points of these, were to try and get some consistency in the testing methods, etc...   

In all honesty, I'm very offended that you suggest my question was or is way off base.
  • #7 by Queball on 22 Sep 2017
  • Don't be offended LSJ .... Life's too short. My point is that the point of testing the cooker, is to test the cooker, not to get absorbed in technical methodology. You're into all of that. .... As an average buyer, do I care where the probes are? ... No. .... Do I care that as a potential purchaser that the unit cooks fairly evenly.... Yes. ... and a simple biscuit test should give some indication of that. .... To me, that type of inquiry, which you're interested in, is better served in a post about "Ways and methods to test a pellet grill" and then those that want to have that discussion can do so..
    • Queball
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Sep 2017
  • Queball, I don't disagree with your rational.  I guess what I was getting at is that there is no scientific way to test the grills to my knowledge.  I feel it could be very subjective (the type of test that could be run) and the interpretation by someone reading the results may differ from person to person.  Like my interpretation of the performance of my Traeger versus test results of a Memphis and a MAK.

At the end of the day, consistency from test to test across pits is all that I am interested in seeing, and I feel that Bentley bends over backwards to try to ensure that happens.  I applaud him for that.

I am also interested in grill features and controller features.  Bentley does a great job identifying them, and I think the members of the forum do a great job of asking questions too.

I think as long as the standards established for the tests are identified by Bentley and that they stay consistent from pit to pit as best as they can are what is important.  I feel that is being accomplished here. 

Now...I am looking forward to seeing the cooks. :bbq:
  • #9 by Queball on 22 Sep 2017
  • Bar-B-Lew,
    Couldn't say it better myself. ...... I also am looking forward to when the cooking starts. ...... I just wonder if there will be a "Bar-B-Que-Lew-Ball method" cook included in the field test? .... That should put the test over the top!

Hope all is going well in Chicago.
    • Queball
  • #10 by LowSlowJoe on 22 Sep 2017
  • I'm a technical guy, I like data, I like to know methods and procedures,  I like consistency and things that resemble science.  Even with my cooking,  I often treat it like an experiment.   So I sometimes like to ask for technical information. 
  • #11 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Sep 2017
  • I'm a technical guy, I like data, I like to know methods and procedures,  I like consistency and things that resemble science.  Even with my cooking,  I often treat it like an experiment.   So I sometimes like to ask for technical information.

There is nothing wrong with that approach.  But this subject has two sides. We received a message from a very experienced pellet cook who has great posts and insights and is no slouch in knowing pits and cooking on them.  He encouraged Bentley to get away from trying to be objective and technical.  In essence, his point was there was a lot of that type of info available on pits if people wanted to search it out and these tests should be more subjective and, I think, sexy (not his term, mine).

Bent doesn't really want to be subjective, and wants some technical aspects.  But I think also that there are a lot of folks who are not as into technical detail and want a bit of a different view (kind of like the car thread -- there are guys on that speaking another language that makes my eyes glaze over and then there is a picture and I perk up and say "Oh, what a pretty red car!").  So, it is a balance that probably doesn't meet all needs, but I think checks a lot of boxes for most folks.
  • #12 by Bentley on 22 Sep 2017
  • This was Larry's idea and I always hated it.  Larry was a very good man, but he had just the slightest bias towards Cookshack, for the most part, it never showed, I mean I think he never used the site publicly to profit...what happen in Private, I have no idea, I hope he made a boat load...But back to bias...JaJaJa

I remember after a few PT seeing that Cookshack was in 1st position, no problem, it had been like GMG, Memphis, Louisiana Grills...Then came Blaz'n...I put it above Cookshack...Negative, that was changed and I got the message!

The biscuit test...and you two have a PG500, so you will get this.  It was as if he was going to show that the other units would not cook like a 500 or a 1000.  He would take them biscuits, put them all over, but make sure that you get some in that gap between the front and the back and that grease tray...Well, what do you think is gonna happen to those biscuits?  Was never a test I appreciated, but will be happy to do it as long as members & Gusest understand, I aint cookin any in the gap!

Your biscuit test was good enough for me...

I do not think it is, but I do not know.  This stuff is way past me.  Kristin has informed Camp Chef that there are question being asked we cannot answer...will see if they come on to answer them?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Camp Chef controller is PID based setup...   But maybe I should ask Bentley directly...  Does the Camp Chef Woodwind control the output of the combustion fan depending on temperature fluctuations, or is the fan on constantly?.

The end of December 2009, right before I started to Performance Test that Daniel Boone, I would have laughed at you if you would have said this...Man, I was as good as any Underwriters Laboratory, and you were about to see it...Well, about 2 PT latter I realized it could be a scientific test, but I was not a scientist and I did not have a multi-million dollar research facility.  That is when I tried to make the tests as Objective as possible, run them in as controled an environment as I could and try and do it like an average Joe like me was gonna use it!

I guess what I was getting at is that there is no scientific way to test the grills to my knowledge.
  • #13 by LowSlowJoe on 22 Sep 2017
  • I've never seen anyone else on the Internet performance  test a pellet grill,  or any other grill as throughly and unbiased as Larry and you. I like the balance of technical and cooking... pút it all together and people can make up there own mind what to think. To me, consisitncy is good... do it as close to the same way as possible each time. That's why I like that you've been standardizing the temperatures being tested and such.
  • #14 by Free Mr. Tony on 22 Sep 2017

There is nothing wrong with that approach.  But this subject has two sides. We received a message from a very experienced pellet cook who has great posts and insights and is no slouch in knowing pits and cooking on them.  He encouraged Bentley to get away from trying to be objective and technical.  In essence, his point was there was a lot of that type of info available on pits if people wanted to search it out and these tests should be more subjective and, I think, sexy (not his term, mine).

Bent doesn't really want to be subjective, and wants some technical aspects.  But I think also that there are a lot of folks who are not as into technical detail and want a bit of a different view (kind of like the car thread -- there are guys on that speaking another language that makes my eyes glaze over and then there is a picture and I perk up and say "Oh, what a pretty red car!").  So, it is a balance that probably doesn't meet all needs, but I think checks a lot of boxes for most folks.

Not sure if you were referring to my comments in this thread or you got another message

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=239.msg1699#msg1699

I do think that the hard data is what sets you apart from the average Joe doing reviews, so definitely wouldn't change that. I would just like to see a little personality infused into the final judgment. After 15 or 20 performance tests, we all just kind of start to look like...

• #15 by Kristin Meredith on 22 Sep 2017
  • Your comments were posted before his FMT, so maybe inspired him.  But the sense I got is that folks like to see how a pit cooks.  Now pictures can only show so much, but its like the picture of the red car for me, I am just more drawn to it.  Bent, on the other hand likes the lift thing so he can change the oil!
Pages:
Actions