Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > FEC/Cookshack

Advice for cooking chicken wings on PG500

(1/4) > >>

apollo:
I've had my PG500 for a few months now and have yet to make chicken wings on it. I'm planning on making some tomorrow and would appreciate any recommendations on how to best make them on the PG500.

Bentley:
Realize that I only had access to this unit for 2 weeks when doing a Performance Test 5 years ago.  And I did not even do wings. Nice thing is we have several Members that do have this unit, so they will come in with some real world advice...me, I would...

Brine them for about 12 hours, then I would put a char on them in zone 1, just a little char.  Then I would cook them in zone 4 till they were about 190° (I like them real tender). then I would put in pan, toss in a favorite sauce and then char them again on zone 1 to finish!

InThePitBBQ:
I've done them a couple ways, and liked them all. What I find to be the most straight away method is to fill zone 4 with them and let them smoke for 45 minutes set to 170*, then crank it up to 300* and let them finish and get nice and crispy.

I have a source for fresh jumbo's at a good price and they go an hour during the 300* session to finish, the large frozen wings I get from Costco are done in about 40 minutes during the final phase.

bregent:
I don't think there's much difference  in technique between different pellet grills. I like to first season them with salt and let them dry on a rack in the fridge for about 12 hours. This let's the skin dehydrate so it gets extra crispy. For really crunchy wings, you can sprinkle on some baking powder. Then cook in pellet grill at 425-450 for 20 minutes, flip and cook another 15 minutes. Then out and toss with sauce while still hot.

triplebq:
Here is my go to party wing recipe (25 wings).

1/2 Cup Hot Sauce (Adjust to preference)
16oz Zesty Italian Dressing
1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
Rub

1. Mix all wet ingredients
2. Marinate chicken wings for at least 3 hours. I usually do it overnight.
3. Pat wings dry and apply rub
4. Cook 275 for 2 hours or until at least 165 degrees

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View