Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by RemoGaggi on 24 Sep 2017
  • Not my first brisket, but my first in the Davy Crockett.  I usually do briskets in my Mak 1-Star with fantastic results, but I've been wanting to experiment with doing a small brisket in the DC.  I got a 10.35lb Prime Brisket at Costco for $2.99/lb.  The door opening of the DC is about 15" wide and it will hold about 17" inside.  I trimmed a couple inches from the flat of the brisket to make it 16" wide and it fit fine.  I rubbed it with 50/50 Salt and Coarse Pepper along with my favorite rub, Obiecue's Smooth Moove. 
    I also like to always elevate the food a little bit off the grate, so it's sitting on about a 1.5" rack I made.  I put it in at 6:45am this morning at 225 degrees.  When I do brisket in the Mak, when it's time to wrap, instead of foiling or butcher paper, I put the brisket in a foil pan with about a cup of beef broth, seal it with foil till it passes the probe test.  Comes out awesome every time. 
    But, with the DC, I can't fit a pan so I think I'll wrap with butcher paper later and see how it goes.  I'll report back afterwards.  Here it is at the beginning of the cook.

After 5.5 hours, it's nice and dark.  Time to butcher paper!

I pulled it at 10 hours and then held in a cooler for about 1.5 hours.  The bark was great.  Taste was very good, but not quite the deep smoke flavor of my Mak, but very good.  The only thing was that I would have liked it to be just a bit firmer.  It wasn't mushy, but I probably should have pulled it earlier.  This was the first time I used butcher paper and I found that that it was a little more difficult for me to get a "feel" with the probe test as I had to punch through the thick paper, whereas with foil there's barely any resistance.  I wasn't used to the butcher paper, so I cooked it a little longer than usual.  I was also trying test for doneness per Aaron Franklin by pressing on it and feeling for tenderness.  Of course, he's done thousands of briskets and I've done just a handful and never tried that technique before, so now I know a little more what to "feel" for.  It was a good learning experience and overall, a great cook with very good results and I'll do a brisket in the DC again.  Here's the unwrapping!

• #2 by Queball on 24 Sep 2017
  • Be looking forward to seeing the results! .... Keep us posted.

That color looks great!
    • Queball
  • #3 by pz on 24 Sep 2017
  • Be looking forward to seeing the results! .... Keep us posted.

Same here

I've done brisket in the Davy, but for some reason it does not turn out as well as in the larger Traeger.
  • #4 by Quadman750 on 24 Sep 2017
  • Getting good color.
  • #5 by TechMOGogy on 24 Sep 2017
  • Keep us posted on how this turns out!
    I love my DC
  • #6 by rwalters on 25 Sep 2017
  • Fantastic cook!!!!! That shot of the finished brisket sitting in the butcher paper is perfect :)
  • #7 by pz on 25 Sep 2017
  • That looks really good - excellent work!
  • #8 by Queball on 25 Sep 2017
  • Well "Remo" ..... Have you sliced it yet?
    • Queball
  • #9 by Yelnoc on 28 Sep 2017
  • Very nice - never used butcher paper, always injected too.....but do to the price of brisket and the fact I'd rather have ribeye or tri-tip if I'm having beef, and one can get 4 pork shoulders for the price of a packer brisket, I have not done one in a long time.  As long as its not tough and dry, its a success in my book.
    • Yelnoc
  • #10 by triplebq on 28 Sep 2017
  • Brisket looks great. Nice job
  • #11 by TechMOGogy on 28 Sep 2017
  • Looks like it turned out really well esp considering how small the DC is
    Thx for sharing!
Pages:
Actions