Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pit Boss Pellets  (Read 6651 times)

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Pit Boss Pellets
« on: September 24, 2017, 11:45:02 AM »

I usually buy Pit Boss pellets from Menards.  This latest batch I found a lot of sawdust and small broken down pellets so I am a little disappointed.  When I buy, I try to look for bags that don't appear to have been mishandled (laid flat on pallet, no obvious rips/tears in bag etc.).  I keep them stored in the garage in the original bag. 

Does storing them this way lead to a break down of the pellets or do you think this was just a bad batch? 

YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

Queball

Re: Pit Boss Pellets
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »

TLK,

I believe that's an issue with handling. Just keep the bags sealed and up off the floor in your garage. I place opened bags in plastic buckets with sealable lids as do most users I believe.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »

Little pellets make no difference, I mean none.  The sawdust would concern me, but don't let the small one worry you, they will burn fine.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »

Broken down pellets and lots of fines(dust)indicate to me a lot of handling, or rough handling.

Storage in the original bag is OK by me. Keep the bags upright so the fine stuff works its way down and keep the bags off the floor even if it seems dry.

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:22:04 PM »

Far and away the dustiest pellets I've ever used. But they work well in my opinion.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Greg1

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 12:25:59 PM »

I got fed up with all the dust in the Pit Boss pellets and didnt like the fact that my walmart kept them stored outside.  I switched over to Lumberjack pellets and couldnt be happier with it.
Louisiana LG900 Traeger Texas Elite 34 Big Horn SRPG 1093

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 01:59:45 PM »

I got fed up with all the dust in the Pit Boss pellets and didnt like the fact that my walmart kept them stored outside.  I switched over to Lumberjack pellets and couldnt be happier with it.

I buy from Menards and they seem to be stored well (inside, generally neat).  This was the first time I noticed A LOT of dust but in fairness they had been sitting directly on my garage floor for at least two months so it is entirely possible that they were mishandled on my part.  I am going to start storing them in a bucket w/ sealed lid and see if I have better luck since I don't go thru pellets as often as most on this board do (my yoder is not used for everyday cooking/grilling).
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

SeanM524

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:03:20 AM »

I've been keeping my pellets in 5 gallon buckets and use a screw cap lid to keep them dry. I live in a high humidity area and over time the pellets will absorb moisture in the air and breakdown.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plastics-12-in-White-Plastic-Bucket-Lid/50094688

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 05:01:37 PM »

I've tried a couple 40 pound bags of Pit Boss, worst pellets I think I have used same as Traeger's more ash and lousy BTU's.

Lumberjack is my favorite, least amount of fines and dust and excellent heat and flavors from them.

seasaw

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »

Interesting, I've been using Pit Boss pellets for over a year with no problem whatsoever. 

SmokinPete55

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 07:45:18 PM »

just finished my first bag and on to my second .  they work great .  dust and fines are a result of poor handling .

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 07:46:39 AM »

I've burned at least 480 pounds of Pitt Boss compittion blend,  all purchased for under  $7 bag from Walmart clearance sales...  I've burned a lot of other brands,  and the Pit Boss have had less than a cup of dust at the bottom of the bag, just like every other pellets I've used.

As far as I know,  99% of problems with dust in pellets is a result of storage and handling issues.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

WayneB

• Using less gas.
  • Ashburn, Va.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »

I would let the store manager know they should be stored like charcoal would be.

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 03:04:27 PM »

I usually buy Pit Boss pellets from Menards.  This latest batch I found a lot of sawdust and small broken down pellets so I am a little disappointed.  When I buy, I try to look for bags that don't appear to have been mishandled (laid flat on pallet, no obvious rips/tears in bag etc.).  I keep them stored in the garage in the original bag. 

Does storing them this way lead to a break down of the pellets or do you think this was just a bad batch? 

I have also got a bag like that from Menards.
Used them the past 3 or 4 cooks and have had flameouts.
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »

Little pellets make no difference, I mean none.  The sawdust would concern me, but don't let the small one worry you, they will burn fine.

Will the sawdust cause the flameouts?
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up