Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 07 Oct 2017
  • That is a distinct possibility.  More so I think if the pit is on a lower temperature...although it would also have to be a pretty big amount as I would think that the majority of the auger would have to be full of it to do it!

Little pellets make no difference, I mean none.  The sawdust would concern me, but don't let the small one worry you, they will burn fine.

Will the sawdust cause the flameouts?
  • #17 by SmokinHandyman on 07 Oct 2017
  • That is a distinct possibility.  More so I think if the pit is on a lower temperature...although it would also have to be a pretty big amount as I would think that the majority of the auger would have to be full of it to do it!

Little pellets make no difference, I mean none.  The sawdust would concern me, but don't let the small one worry you, they will burn fine.

Will the sawdust cause the flameouts?

It has gone out cooking @ 275
  • #18 by SmokinHandyman on 09 Oct 2017
  • will dust cause a flameout t???
  • #19 by Bobitis on 09 Oct 2017
  • will dust cause a flameout t???

Given the right parameters, I would say yes. But they'd have to be extreme circumstances.
    I shake all my pellets thru a plastic colander whether they like it or not. When I'm done with a bag of Pit Boss pellets, I'll have a couple cups left in the bottom. You'd likely have to dump all that in a near empty hopper to create a flameout.

:2cents:
  • #20 by ylr on 13 Oct 2017
  • I see where Menards now sells Pit Boss whiskey barrel pellets for $15/20 lbs. No clue if it's actually something good, or just a novelty.
  • #21 by Ross77 on 21 Oct 2017
  • I noticed on the Menards website it says the Pit Boss Hickory pellets are a blend of Hickory and Maple.  The Apple Pellets also specify a blend of Apple and Maple.
  • #22 by WayneB on 14 Nov 2017
  • I noticed on the Menards website it says the Pit Boss Hickory pellets are a blend of Hickory and Maple.  The Apple Pellets also specify a blend of Apple and Maple.

That is common, unless it says 100% hickory or 100% apple, it's a mix.
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Dec 2018
  • I found some Pit Boss pellets in 30 and 40 # bags at a Walmart today for about $0.40/# so I picked up a bag of the following and figured I would give them a try.

Competition - Hickory, Maple, Apple
    Classic - Pecan, Hickory, Mesquite
    Fruit - Cherry, Apple, Maple
  • #24 by sleebus.jones on 07 Dec 2018
  • Just as a PSA, I've never had any sawdust problem with Pit Boss pellets, and they're stored out on my porch, on the concrete in the lovely subtropical climate that is the Texas Gulf Coast.
  • #25 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Dec 2018
  • the price was right and the blends seemed interesting enough to try...will probably use them in my pit boss vertical when i get the auger unjammed
  • #26 by bten on 07 Dec 2018
  • I have tried pit boss pellets, and I find that they don't produce much flavor, and on my Camp Chef, the temperature swings were much larger that with B&B pellets. I have about a half bag of pit boss pellets left, and I have been using them on the end of my cooks, when the meat has already taken in as much smoke flavor as it can. 

When this half bag is gone,  I won't be buying any more.
  • #27 by george255 on 20 Jan 2019
  • In my Pit Boss 700 Series I have had better smoke output using Pit Boss Competition blend. My 700 does not have a smoke stack on the side but instead it has 5 vent holes on the back side of the drum.I'm not sure if that]s the reason other pellet brands that I have tried are poor smoke performers or what and I have tried a lot of other brands and blends. The Pit Boss blend works best for me. From my research they are a mix of Hickory, Maple , Cherry. ( No Apple )
  • #28 by SmokinGood on 13 May 2019
  • I have to say that the Pit Boss pellets are the worst that I have used in my RecTec Stampede. First, I noticed that there was a lot of smoke, which is a good thing, but the food really didn't have smoky flavor. Second, I noticed that the temp was hard to control, when cooking burgers I like to smoke for an hour first then sear at 475. during the smoke, temps would vary between 223-235 not usual for my rectec. Then when I went up to 475 top sear, when I opened the lid the temp went to 350 and had to recover. I couldnt even get the sear plates to leave marks on the burgers. Then I cooked ribs, they were ok but not very smoky and no smoke ring?? I noticed that after cooking for 8 hrs I had went through 30 lbs of pellets!! Not good either. I am not happy with these at all and I went back to my treager pellets. I would not recommend these at all!!
  • #29 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 May 2019
  • Hard to believe they worked that bad especially compared to Traeger which is not a very good pellet IMO either.
  • #30 by yorkdude on 13 May 2019
  • I have to say that the Pit Boss pellets are the worst that I have used in my RecTec Stampede. First, I noticed that there was a lot of smoke, which is a good thing, but the food really didn't have smoky flavor. Second, I noticed that the temp was hard to control, when cooking burgers I like to smoke for an hour first then sear at 475. during the smoke, temps would vary between 223-235 not usual for my rectec. Then when I went up to 475 top sear, when I opened the lid the temp went to 350 and had to recover. I couldnt even get the sear plates to leave marks on the burgers. Then I cooked ribs, they were ok but not very smoky and no smoke ring?? I noticed that after cooking for 8 hrs I had went through 30 lbs of pellets!! Not good either. I am not happy with these at all and I went back to my treager pellets. I would not recommend these at all!!
    I have used them plenty and never had a problem other than paying too much. Call me dumb but I use “heating pellets “, never have had a problem. I, or other people can absolutely not taste a difference? Not for everyone and I get it but works and saves me a bunch. As far as the flavor blend pellets of any mfgr. Can not tell 2cents worth of difference.
Pages:
Actions