Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Redapple on 13 Jan 2018
  • Had the desire to cook some Pork Butts today...

I injected using this recipe
    3/4 cup Apple juice
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup salt
    2 tea spoons Worcestershire

My rub Recipe
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    5 tablespoons Kosher salt
    3 tablespoons Coriander
    3 tablespoons mustard powder
    3 tablespoons onion powder
    1/2 cup paprika
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon white pepper
    1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon allspice

Rub first, then inject and let get happy for at least 6 hours
    Smoke at 180 for 3 hours
    bump temp to 225 until it reaches 195 IT for pulled 180 for sliced
    After 3 hours, spritz every hour with remaining injection

here is a pic of the butts one hour in, whill show additional pictures as it progresses

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jan 2018
  • bone in or boneless?

tell me more about the sliced...i have never done that
  • #3 by Redapple on 13 Jan 2018
  • Boneless, Cook to a slightly lower temp so it can slice well.

I will separate the money muscle and slice that on both, the smaller butt, I will do slices about 1/4 inch thick.

Will sprinkle a bit of my mop with my rub on the finished slices.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jan 2018
  • do you use the slices similar to a pork loin for serving
  • #5 by Redapple on 13 Jan 2018
  • do you use the slices similar to a pork loin for serving

Yes...
  • #6 by Michael_NW on 14 Jan 2018
  • Hey Redapple, that looks delicious. Do you have any issues with some of the less uniform parts of your boneless butts drying out during the cook? I've always shied away from boneless cuz I was afraid the looser muscles would cause the whole butt to kinda of spread out and give me a mini brisket effect where it would be difficult to cook the thinner part to the same uniform doneness as the thicker.

Nice seeing allspice and coriander being used in a rub to broaden out the flavor profile!
  • #7 by Ross77 on 14 Jan 2018
  • What pellets did you use in the smoker and in the tube?
  • #8 by Redapple on 14 Jan 2018
  • Hey Redapple, that looks delicious. Do you have any issues with some of the less uniform parts of your boneless butts drying out during the cook? I've always shied away from boneless cuz I was afraid the looser muscles would cause the whole butt to kinda of spread out and give me a mini brisket effect where it would be difficult to cook the thinner part to the same uniform doneness as the thicker.

Nice seeing allspice and coriander being used in a rub to broaden out the flavor profile!

Hi Michael,

Yes, as the Pork cooks, the lack of the bone does allow the muscles to separate a bit, that is where the spritz comes in. I will spritz to keep those from drying out
  • #9 by Redapple on 14 Jan 2018
  • What pellets did you use in the smoker and in the tube?

I used BBQers Delight Cherry
  • #10 by triplebq on 14 Jan 2018
  • Nicely done.  :lick:
  • #11 by Michael_NW on 16 Jan 2018

Hi Michael,

Yes, as the Pork cooks, the lack of the bone does allow the muscles to separate a bit, that is where the spritz comes in. I will spritz to keep those from drying out

Cool! Why didn't I think of that?   :-[    In every method there is always a way to arrive at tasty BBQ, isn't there? Thanks, Redapple!
  • #12 by cookingjnj on 16 Jan 2018
  • Sliced, All-spice....nicely done.  Those butts looked fantastic.  Did the slices stay moist after being sliced?  Looks like another method I need to try.  The list keep getting longer.
  • #13 by Redapple on 16 Jan 2018
  • Sliced, All-spice....nicely done.  Those butts looked fantastic.  Did the slices stay moist after being sliced?  Looks like another method I need to try.  The list keep getting longer.

Thanks and yes they did.  I just finished eating some for dinner.  My wife had some of the pulled, and I had some of the sliced.  When I sliced,  I lightly sauced some of the slices in a mop of hot water and my rub, and left the others naked.  Both juciey and tender!
Pages:
Actions