Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ArborAgent on 24 Sep 2017
  • Hi folks,

One of the first things I had to do when I bought my Blaz'n Grand Slam was to calibrate it. I figure I'd share how to do this. These instructions should work with any Roanoke Controls controller.

Step 0.
     Call Blaz'n at 1-855-634-9233 and have them walk you through it.

What's that? You insist on doing it by yourself? Fine. I'll walk you through it. BUT, you're on your own. If these instructions don't work for you or you break something, that's on you. Call Blaz'n have them laugh at you and ask them to bail you out.

Step 1.
    Pick your favorite ambient temp (225º for me) and use a trusty thermometer to figure out how off you are. I'm using a Fireboard. Let the pit get to a steady state at the temp you want. In my case, I'm waiting until the grill hasn't moved much for half an hour. Put the thermometer in the center of the grate you use the most. In my case it's the main grate. I haven't noticed much difference with the first pro shelf, if you normally use a higher grate you might want to calibrate there.

Step 2.
    Figure out the how far off your grill is. In my example, this is about 208º vs 225º intended.

Step 3.
    Let's do some math. The way the calibration works is that the grill allows you to set a gain multiplier to the temperature read by the probe in the grill (let's call this the correction factor). So in the case of this example, we need to figure out what the correction factor needs to be. Remember your high school algebra?

225º = 208º * x
    225º/208º = x
    1.0817 = x

Multiply by a thousand (1,000) and you get:
    1.0817 * 1000 = 1082

1082 is the correction factor. Save that number, you're going to need to plug it into the grill.

The grill accepts a value between 900 and 3,000.

Step 4.
    Now we need to program the controller.
    • Press and hold the Pellet Prime and Probe Display for 3 seconds. The display will change to C-1
    • Use the temp up and down keys to move to C-13
    • Change the value by using the Probe Display (increase) and Temp Display (decrease) buttons. In this example, the new setting would be 1082
    • Press the On button to save the value and go back to the menu.
    • To exit the config menu, press the Pellet Prime button.

Boom, you're done!

Wait!! I screwed something up and I'm freaking out
    Changed the wrong setting? Change a value you didn't mean to? Just not happy with what we've done? No problem. You can go back to the factory defaults.

Press and hold the Pellet Prime and Temp Display buttons for 3 seconds. The screen will say bye.
  • #2 by Bentley on 24 Sep 2017
  • Wow!
  • #3 by ArborAgent on 24 Sep 2017
  • Wow!

I figure I'd help your new site with a quality post. I think every Blaz'n owner should know how to do this.
  • #4 by triplebq on 24 Sep 2017
  • Where do you place your trusty thermometer?
  • #5 by ArborAgent on 24 Sep 2017
  • Where do you place your trusty thermometer?

Good point! I'll update. I put it in the center of the main grate. That's where the brisket goes.
  • #6 by keithj69 on 25 Sep 2017
  • To add on to the placement question, by main grate, you are not talking about the pro shelves?

edit:  i was reading the cached old site about this discussion and see that you say the temp between the main grate and the bottom shelf of the pro grates are close to temp. 
  • #7 by ArborAgent on 25 Sep 2017
  • Calibrate to the center of the shelf you use most.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 25 Sep 2017
  • Did this a couple of months ago with excellent results.  My temps now stay within 1 or 2 points of actual!!!  However, I have some possible errors in your advice and also have  a couple of suggestions:

In step 4.  After you change to the C-13 setting -- hit the On/Off button once to obtain the current setting.  Now the default factory setting is usually 1000. If you are actually 208* and the set temp is 225*, then IF you find the default C-13 number is 1000, then you would have to lower the C-13 setting to get the temp higher.  Your math suggests the opposite.  I would say that you need to divide CURRENT temp by the SET temp to get the desired setting. 
    208/225= 0.92444.  Times 1000 would be 924 as your new setting. Makes sense since you have to lower the setting to raise the temp.  NOW as an example: My desired temp of 350* was actually 380*.  Sure enough my default setting at C-13 was 1000 (as I was told it might be).  So dividing 380/350= 1.086 x 1000 or a setting of 1086.  However, that was not the final adjusted C-13 setting.  I had to tweek it a couple of times (yes is took a couple of hours to complete) and my final setting was 1066. And that was just 1* off the set temp.  It has stayed right on ever since.  Even at other temp settings it very close. 

Hope this is not confusing.  Remember, Tim is the best way to go, especially if you are still under warranty. 

:2cents:

Suggestions: 
    My other suggestions are to Preheat the to the desired temp and let it set at that temp for 30 minutes before adjusting.  Then if after you have set the desired setting, let it burn for another 30 minutes.  If the set temp and actual temp do not equal up, then tweek it by going back into setting C-13 again and raising or lowering the setting as needed.  It may take two or three adjustments to get real accurate.  And remember raising the setting lowers the temp and lowering the setting raises the temp. It really works!   :2cents:

• #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Sep 2017
  • Interesting, but this is why I put a temp probe at grate level when I cook.  I just adjust the controller until it gets to the grate temp on my external thermometer that I want to cook at.  I have a used Blaz'n with a controller that has a LED that you can't read anymore.  My method works fine for me without spending more than I paid for the grill to get another controller.  I don't have an igniter rod either.  Start it up the old fashion way by getting a good fire going in the firepot and then turning on the grill once it is good and raging.  Then the fan won't blow out the fire.
  • #10 by okie smokie on 26 Sep 2017
  • Interesting, but this is why I put a temp probe at grate level when I cook.  I just adjust the controller until it gets to the grate temp on my external thermometer that I want to cook at.  I have a used Blaz'n with a controller that has a LED that you can't read anymore.  My method works fine for me without spending more than I paid for the grill to get another controller.  I don't even have an igniter rod either.  Start it up the old fashion way be getting a good fire going in the firepot and then turning on the grill once it is good and raging.  Then the fan won't blow out the fire.
    As they say, "there's more than one way to--".  I guess I should have apologized to Arbor Agent for contradicting his tech report, but I have actually done this and the method is simple and works great.  I was tutored by another Pellethead on the old site.
  • #11 by MP09 on 26 Sep 2017
  • Great info but what are you using for a trusty thermometer to assure you get accurate results? I've found some trusty thermometers to be not so trusty...
  • #12 by okie smokie on 26 Sep 2017
  • Great info but what are you using for a trusty thermometer to assure you get accurate results? I've found some trusty thermometers to be not so trusty...
    I use a Maverick OT-03BBQ which has a clip that holds the sensor about 1 inch above the grates and I place it in the center.  It is a bit slower to react than the pit probe but seems to be very reliable.  I have tested it in boiling water when it was new, and it was near perfect.  I keep the probe tip clean. 
  • #13 by okie smokie on 27 Sep 2017
  • Interesting, but this is why I put a temp probe at grate level when I cook.  I just adjust the controller until it gets to the grate temp on my external thermometer that I want to cook at.  I have a used Blaz'n with a controller that has a LED that you can't read anymore.  My method works fine for me without spending more than I paid for the grill to get another controller.  I don't have an igniter rod either.  Start it up the old fashion way by getting a good fire going in the firepot and then turning on the grill once it is good and raging.  Then the fan won't blow out the fire.
    Why can't you read the LED on your Blaz'n?  Dirt and pellet powder got behind my LED cover screen and began to obscure the LED.  It can be cleaned.  When I sent it in to Tim to get the new "shut-off" algorithm installed, they cleaned it.  The turn around time was 3-4 days.  Now it is clearly visible.  You might be able to do it yourself.  Just FYI
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Sep 2017
    Why can't you read the LED on your Blaz'n?  Dirt and pellet powder got behind my LED cover screen and began to obscure the LED.  It can be cleaned.  When I sent it in to Tim to get the new "shut-off" algorithm installed, they cleaned it.  The turn around time was 3-4 days.  Now it is clearly visible.  You might be able to do it yourself.  Just FYI

It was that way when I bought it used.  I only use the grill to make chicken wings as I use my other smokers for everything else.  I don't really need the LED to work as it never matches grill grate temp anyway.  I used an remote thermometer with grill grate probe and set the controller to match what I want the grill great temps to be.  I have no plans to put any time, money, or effort into anything on the grill.  It may go to the curb the day the controller dies.  Thanks for the information though.  Who knows, it may come in handy one day.
  • #15 by snj1013 on 29 Sep 2017
  • Does anyone have a list of the C-Settings that they can share. I believe it was posted on pelletheads, but no longer active.
Pages:
Actions