Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to calibrate your Blaz'n  (Read 16566 times)

imahawki

• Using less gas.
Re: How to calibrate your Blaz'n
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »

I measured mine in multiple spots and it was dead on from the get go.  This is good to know though. 

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 06:06:04 PM »

I measured mine in multiple spots and it was dead on from the get go.  This is good to know though.
Nice not to have to change it.  But nice also to know how to if needed. 

captaink

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »

Did this a couple of months ago with excellent results.  My temps now stay within 1 or 2 points of actual!!!  However, I have some possible errors in your advice and also have  a couple of suggestions:

In step 4.  After you change to the C-13 setting -- hit the On/Off button once to obtain the current setting.  Now the default factory setting is usually 1000. If you are actually 208* and the set temp is 225*, then IF you find the default C-13 number is 1000, then you would have to lower the C-13 setting to get the temp higher.  Your math suggests the opposite.  I would say that you need to divide CURRENT temp by the SET temp to get the desired setting. 
208/225= 0.92444.  Times 1000 would be 924 as your new setting. Makes sense since you have to lower the setting to raise the temp.  NOW as an example: My desired temp of 350* was actually 380*.  Sure enough my default setting at C-13 was 1000 (as I was told it might be).  So dividing 380/350= 1.086 x 1000 or a setting of 1086.  However, that was not the final adjusted C-13 setting.  I had to tweek it a couple of times (yes is took a couple of hours to complete) and my final setting was 1066. And that was just 1* off the set temp.  It has stayed right on ever since.  Even at other temp settings it very close. 

Hope this is not confusing.  Remember, Tim is the best way to go, especially if you are still under warranty. 

Love that this was posted but I can concur on the math.  Actual temp/set temp. I only say this based on being talked through it by Tim.   I was running way off....ended up getting a new controller.  However to start he had me change c-13...  I was set at 250 and the actual Temp was 280.   Temp runaway mid cook.   Based on what Tim said you raise the setting if you are running hot and lower if colder.  Tim had me try a setting of 1100 in this situation which would go 280/250.  Again though, it's not exact.  Got my new controller and wasn't very far off but still played with it.   I found that it also can vary whether you are running at a higher temp or a lower.  In the end got it close and rely on my Thermoworks smoke to tell me true temp and adjust according to that.  In the end though it's just an OCD thing right? A few degrees is not going to make a difference.  Unless maybe you are making snack sticks where 10 - 20 degrees too hot will make a difference.

Also  he told me factory defaults for the controller are for the Grand Slam. I accidentally set to default and called him.  I was in luck since that's what I have.  I think there are some auger settings that might be different for the Grid Iron.....don't know for sure.

snj1013

• Using less gas.
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 02:21:48 PM »

My Rec Tec also uses a Roanoke temperature controller and its default for parameter C-13 is 1200. I'm trying to remember if the controller reads high or low compared with my Thermoworks Smoke. If I remember correctly, the Rec Tec's controller might read a little high. I'll have to keep an eye on it during the next cook.

bproffer

• Using less gas.
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »

Does anyone have a list of the C-Settings that they can share. I believe it was posted on pelletheads, but no longer active.

Sadly I had this information on PH but it is long gone. I'll check my old emails and see if I still have it somewhere.

On a different note...

Does anyone who is using the Blaz'n/Roanoke controller know the specs on the RTD/temp probe? I am using a Blaz'n controller on my Cookshack FEC-100 as it originally came with an analog Traeger controller. My problem is that the temp probe temp probe that it came with the controller is long like what is used in a Traeger, while FEC's used the shorter style. Does anyone know if they make a short RTD that will work wioth the blaz'n/Roanoke controllers?

snj1013

• Using less gas.
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 05:02:17 PM »

Does anyone have a list of the C-Settings that they can share. I believe it was posted on pelletheads, but no longer active.

Sadly I had this information on PH but it is long gone. I'll check my old emails and see if I still have it somewhere.

A forum member posted the C Settings yesterday in the Rec Tec forum.

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 02:28:14 PM »

A forum member posted the C Settings yesterday in the Rec Tec forum.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=937.0
BGW Grid Iron GMG DB GMG DC

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 10:00:10 AM »

I spent some time yesterday using the smoke unit to calibrate. I'm now within 3 degrees vs 30. Thanks for this great information...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 04:53:41 PM »

I spent some time yesterday using the smoke unit to calibrate. I'm now within 3 degrees vs 30. Thanks for this great information...
Nice to know there are some things we still have control over!  Good job.  My GS just gets better.   :bbq:

MSOLSON

• Using less gas.
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 09:57:51 PM »

Avery at Roanoke Controls provided this spec to me when I was searching for  replacement probe for my Grand Slam. Gave up searching for one so I got a replacement from Blaz'n.

1K Platinum RTD and requires a 3.5 mm plug.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:59:27 PM by MSOLSON »
Blaz'n Grand Slam Kenmore Gasser Electric Smoker Brinkman offset smoker

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 10:07:36 AM »

Just had a look at my Memphis probe - It is; 1K(1,000 ohms), 3.5mm plug, just under 1/4" dia cable and built like a tank..Not sure of the price as it came with the pit.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:55:32 AM by Canadian John »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up