Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Blaz'n Grills

How to calibrate your Blaz'n

<< < (2/6) > >>

keithj69:
To add on to the placement question, by main grate, you are not talking about the pro shelves?

edit:  i was reading the cached old site about this discussion and see that you say the temp between the main grate and the bottom shelf of the pro grates are close to temp. 

ArborAgent:
Calibrate to the center of the shelf you use most.

okie smokie:
Did this a couple of months ago with excellent results.  My temps now stay within 1 or 2 points of actual!!!  However, I have some possible errors in your advice and also have  a couple of suggestions:

In step 4.  After you change to the C-13 setting -- hit the On/Off button once to obtain the current setting.  Now the default factory setting is usually 1000. If you are actually 208* and the set temp is 225*, then IF you find the default C-13 number is 1000, then you would have to lower the C-13 setting to get the temp higher.  Your math suggests the opposite.  I would say that you need to divide CURRENT temp by the SET temp to get the desired setting. 
208/225= 0.92444.  Times 1000 would be 924 as your new setting. Makes sense since you have to lower the setting to raise the temp.  NOW as an example: My desired temp of 350* was actually 380*.  Sure enough my default setting at C-13 was 1000 (as I was told it might be).  So dividing 380/350= 1.086 x 1000 or a setting of 1086.  However, that was not the final adjusted C-13 setting.  I had to tweek it a couple of times (yes is took a couple of hours to complete) and my final setting was 1066. And that was just 1* off the set temp.  It has stayed right on ever since.  Even at other temp settings it very close. 

Hope this is not confusing.  Remember, Tim is the best way to go, especially if you are still under warranty. 

:2cents:

Suggestions: 
My other suggestions are to Preheat the to the desired temp and let it set at that temp for 30 minutes before adjusting.  Then if after you have set the desired setting, let it burn for another 30 minutes.  If the set temp and actual temp do not equal up, then tweek it by going back into setting C-13 again and raising or lowering the setting as needed.  It may take two or three adjustments to get real accurate.  And remember raising the setting lowers the temp and lowering the setting raises the temp. It really works!   :2cents:

Bar-B-Lew:
Interesting, but this is why I put a temp probe at grate level when I cook.  I just adjust the controller until it gets to the grate temp on my external thermometer that I want to cook at.  I have a used Blaz'n with a controller that has a LED that you can't read anymore.  My method works fine for me without spending more than I paid for the grill to get another controller.  I don't have an igniter rod either.  Start it up the old fashion way by getting a good fire going in the firepot and then turning on the grill once it is good and raging.  Then the fan won't blow out the fire.

okie smokie:

--- Quote from: Bar-B-Lew on September 25, 2017, 11:44:22 PM ---Interesting, but this is why I put a temp probe at grate level when I cook.  I just adjust the controller until it gets to the grate temp on my external thermometer that I want to cook at.  I have a used Blaz'n with a controller that has a LED that you can't read anymore.  My method works fine for me without spending more than I paid for the grill to get another controller.  I don't even have an igniter rod either.  Start it up the old fashion way be getting a good fire going in the firepot and then turning on the grill once it is good and raging.  Then the fan won't blow out the fire.

--- End quote ---
As they say, "there's more than one way to--".  I guess I should have apologized to Arbor Agent for contradicting his tech report, but I have actually done this and the method is simple and works great.  I was tutored by another Pellethead on the old site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View