Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has Anyone Ground Brisket for Hamburger?  (Read 411 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Has Anyone Ground Brisket for Hamburger?
« on: June 24, 2020, 07:36:31 AM »

How much fat did you cut off before you ground it?
Did you put the grinder parts in the freezer before you ground and for how long?
Did you grind once or twice?  If once, was it a fine or course grind?  If twice, was it course and then fine?  What size grinder plates?
Did you semi freeze the meat chunks before you ground them?
Did you put any spices on the meat before and/or after grinding?
Any other tips/tricks that you would recommend?

I am planning on grinding up ~15# packer this weekend and I am looking for help before I dive into this.  I have an LEM #8 Big Bite 0.5hp grinder with 3mm, 4.5mm, 6mm, and 10mm plates.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Has Anyone Ground Brisket for Hamburger?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 11:59:35 AM »

I use brisket almost exclusively for my burger grind. I'll sometimes add a little short rib.

How much fat did you cut off before you ground it: I aim for 80/20 to 85/15.  I separate the fat cap weigh lean and fat individually. I assume the trimmed point to be around 18%
Did you put the grinder parts in the freezer before you ground and for how long: 30 minutes is enough.
Did you grind once or twice?  If once, was it a fine or course grind?  If twice, was it course and then fine?  What size grinder plates?:  I grind once using 1/4" plate
Did you semi freeze the meat chunks before you ground them? : Yes - especially important for the fat. Try to cut into uniform sizes so they chill at the same rate - place on a cookie sheet and into the freezer.
Did you put any spices on the meat before and/or after grinding? : No. I season smash burgers with only salt and during the cook.

I'd go with the 6mm and grind once - I like a course grind for burgers - keeps it loose and tender. If you like a firmer burger you can go smaller or grind twice.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 12:02:07 PM by bregent »

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 12:45:03 PM »

Great questions and answers. Thanks guys.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 03:01:19 PM »

I think I ground a Brisket once for a thread on Pelletheads.  As I recall, after trimming external fat from both point and flat, it came out to 72% meat and 28% fat.  Now that does not include any inter-muscular marbling.  I am a 70/30 guy, and am not going to balk if I even get 65/35 so it is all used. 

None.
No, but it does not hurt.
Once. Fine for me, 6 mm.
Yes.
Done both ways, although, adding seasoning before grinding is usually for sausage.
Make sure the meat is as cold as possible and will still grind.

How much fat did you cut off before you ground it?
Did you put the grinder parts in the freezer before you ground and for how long?
Did you grind once or twice?  If once, was it a fine or course grind?  If twice, was it course and then fine?  What size grinder plates?
Did you semi freeze the meat chunks before you ground them?
Did you put any spices on the meat before and/or after grinding?
Any other tips/tricks that you would recommend?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up