Poll: Are you going to be consuming dogs on July 4th?

Yes
- 3 (9.1%)
No
- 15 (45.5%)
Maybe
- 8 (24.2%)
Dogs, plus other meats too
- 7 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 25 Jun 2020
  • Saw this statistic today:   

Americans consume about 150 million hot dogs on July 4.

According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, approximately 150 million hot dogs are consumed by Americans on the 4th of July each year. If lined up, that amount of hot dogs could stretch from Washington D.C. to Los Angeles more than five times.

That seems mind boggling to me.  We aren't to much for dogs on the 4th, more burgers (or it use to be ribs).  What about you folks and your family and/or guests?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Jun 2020
  • I haven't thought that far ahead yet.  I start vacation tomorrow afternoon and plan to be cooking a lot in the next week.  Just not sure which day and how many things may be cooking at the same time on the same or different grills.

Burgers
    Brisket
    Pork Shoulder
    Ribs
    Chicken Breasts
    Sausage
    Wings
    Chuck Roast
    Burnt Ends
  • #3 by Osborn Cox on 25 Jun 2020
  • Maybe, but this is German sausage territory so it’s usually brats or polish sausage, but maybe I’ll do some bacon wrapped dogs now that you bring it up!
  • #4 by Bentley on 25 Jun 2020
  • More hot link then true Dog, with Wienerschnitzel chili & onions...
  • #5 by yorkdude on 25 Jun 2020
  • Not sure what we will eat but the mention of Weinerschnitzel chili is enough to make me want to move back home, man I loved that stuff.
    Speaking of hot dogs, anyone ever have a Kasper dog in Northern California? We used to go all the time on our way to the Delta, man those were good too.
  • #6 by cookingjnj on 25 Jun 2020
  • We usually do burgers, dogs and something like a london broil type cook.
  • #7 by Free Mr. Tony on 25 Jun 2020
  • I probably eat 3 hotdogs a year. If I happen to be somewhere else on the 4th, they often have hotdogs. I would go a different route if making my own 4th meal.

Ironically, I had a 1/4 of a hotdog tonight. Made coneys for my wife and figured I'd go for a sample portion.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jun 2020
  • I had a fridge full of meat that I bought recently.  Having steaks and chicken breasts for dinner tonight and have ribs and shoulders on the smoker now for future eats.  Briskets will be cooked during the week.

I decided to trim the fat cap off of the pork shoulders before applying the rub and putting on the smoker.  I did that because at some point I plan to pan the shoulders in a liquid.  It will save me from having to deal with that fat later in the cook and removing some of the rub flavor when doing so.  Will see how that turns out.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jun 2020
  • Just pulled off the pork shoulders and put them in a pan with 3 IPA beers that I would never drink that were leftovers from someone who brought them here.  They were at about 170° IT after about 4.5 hours at 270°.  I suspect they will be ready in another 3-4 hours or so to pull apart.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #10 by Bentley on 29 Jun 2020
  • IPA usually go in Bangers...
  • #11 by Ralphie on 29 Jun 2020
  • Looks really good. I’ve been meaning to try your beer braise method but with citrus, chili peppers, and other south of the border flavors. Trying to make a Cuban mojo type pulled pork.
    I love bbq pulled pork and just made 20lbs of it. But I’m ready for a different flavor profile.
  • #12 by hughver on 29 Jun 2020
  • Just pulled off the pork shoulders and put them in a pan with 3 IPA beers that I would never drink that were leftovers from someone who brought them here.  They were at about 170° IT after about 4.5 hours at 270°.  I suspect they will be ready in another 3-4 hours or so to pull apart.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

They look great, don't forget to save those savory juices.  :lick:
  • #13 by glitchy on 29 Jun 2020
  • I'm not much of a hot dog fan unless it's a chili dog or corn dog. I probably eat a regular hot dog 3-4 times a year. Before my son and I got food poisoning from a can a sauerkraut, I used to eat more brats than I do now too.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jun 2020
  • don't forget to save those savory juices.  :lick:

I will probably be pulling the pork right when it comes off of the grill and it will stay in those juices along with some additional rub.
  • #15 by hughver on 29 Jun 2020
  • I voted no, but I bought one of these several years ago and it really enhances the hot dog experience. https://www.amazon.com/SLOTDOG-EMW9018136-Red/dp/B00X6UTAVQ
Pages:
Actions